Saturday, November 1, 2014

In my kitchen - November 2014

I am linking this post in to Celia's monthly In My Kitchen event at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.

Ah, November. To me, it signals the start of the end of the year and the justifiable start of Christmas festivities. This year, it also brings shorter days and signs of approaching winter. Northern hemisphere November is novel and more than a little exciting.

There are some signs of the changing season in my kitchen. I still have strawberries in the fridge and tomatoes on the windowsill, but there have also been cravings for porridge, chai spices, and hot hearty meals. 

End of season tomatoes (yes, that is a vase they are in)

There are also some products from Borough Market in my kitchen. I have wanted to visit the market since we stayed near it on our first night in London, way back in June. It lived up to my hopes and expectations.

Pippin and Pearmain apples
I delighted over the fresh produce displays, and have shared some pictures of them and the market below (even though they are obviously not in my kitchen). I did buy some new season apples, above, and a baby pumpkin, below, that I plan to stuff with quinoa.

Incredibly cute

I also enjoyed visiting Sweet Roots, a stall sending all manner of liquorice confectionery. I selected some pure liquorice pieces - no sugar, no nothing - and gelatin free cherry and chilli liquorice pieces. I also bought a piece of liquorice root. I'm not sure what I'll do with the root yet, but I like having it. 

Liquorice galore

The pure liquorice pieces are intense, and the cherry chilli pieces are very moreish! They aren't super spicy or very cherry flavoured, but subtle notes of chilli and cherry do come through.

Not in my kitchen - Borough Market displays, including vegan and gluten free baked goods at the bottom right (I didn't try them on this visit)

Rounding out the liquorice are some delightful products from The Raw Chocolate Company. I was fortunate enough to win them by being graced with a 'Mofie' award for my vegan lemon meringue pie, back during Vegan MoFo. The award itself was an unexpected pleasure, and the chocolate prize was additional and delicious bonus.


I have yet to try the goji berry and orange bar pictured above, but have been enjoying (very much!) the raw chocolate coated raisins below. They are really delicious.


My kitchen hasn't featured Halloween products, but all in all I think I have enough edible delights without it.

What is happening in your kitchen this month?

32 comments:

  1. I though chocolate was such a good prize for you for the Mofie. And though you say you have not halloween treats, those raisins look like little brains and I thought that liquorice was worms. We did some halloween food today - sylvia was so excited. Am jealous of you going to the borough market - the apples look great and that pumpkin is cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thought of the raisin / brain analogy, but hadn't picked up on the liquorice worms! You're right, I had a Halloween all of my own happening :-)

      Delete
  2. I am loving what's in your kitchen. I have always wanted to try the quaintly named British varieties of apples - who could pass on a Pippin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The names are gorgeous and there seem to be many more varieties than I'm used to :-)

      Delete
  3. Kari, the baby pumpkin stuffed with quinoa idea is brilliant! I also like your liquorice and chillies goodies!

    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  4. My God, those tomatoes at the market cost an arm and a leg! Enjoy the lovely change of season with your tasty purchases and the cute little remaining tomatoes on the sill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the prices were rather terrifying! I generally bypass the bigger markets for product buying for exactly that reason - fortunately my apples and pumpkin were not as expensive :-) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. G'day! It is always sad at the end of any fruit or vegetable season, but then comes the welcome wagon of what's next!
    Thanks for your kitchen view also and allowing me to learn something new today!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne! And you're right, the lovely thing about seasons is that they all bring their own delights :-)

      Delete
  6. Kari, what a banquet of tomatoes! I have never seen the Cowheart variety. The chilli cherry licorice sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen them either - or many of those pictured for that matter! It is amazing how many varieties of products there are when you get out of a supermarket.

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to seeing the change of season in your kitchen Kari. You will be a bit confused this year when ZChristmas comes around. The licorice looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will certainly find Christmas unusual :-) But I suspect in a good way!

      Delete
  8. SO pleased I found you over on Sharon's page (Bit of the Good Stuff)! Love your posts!!! I walked past Borough Market recently on a trip to London then did a U turn as I realised what I might be missing only to find the stalls were mostly packed up for the day! I'm looking forward to going back again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by Vicky! Borough Market is quite a sight, so hopefully you can visit on your next trip to London :-)

      Delete
  9. That raw chocolate sounds SO tasty! Love the unique flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The market looks fantastic! What a cute little pumpkin, stuffed with quinoa sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a fun market to explore :-) And thanks!

      Delete
  11. I am going to send a friend of mine shopping at Sweet Roots to bring me some licourice when she next visits! It sounds amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do so! It is a really gorgeous stall and the liquorice is different to what you can get in supermarkets.

      Delete
  12. I love a good look around everyone's kitchen! Those tomatoes are so pretty, they definitely deserve to be in a vase. Can't beat Borough market for some good veggie stocking up - the cupcakes there aren't amazing, sadly, but decent enough if you need a bit of a sweet treat on the go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks for letting me know about the cupcakes. I'm glad I didn't get one now!

      Delete
  13. Look at that carved pumpkin! It's like the ghost of Jacob Marley trying to escape from the doorknob in A Christmas Carol! Those tomatoes at the market look divine as well! Enjoy your first autumn/winter in London, Kari!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that description of the pumpkin! And it seems entirely possible that's what the carver was channeling!

      Delete
  14. What a great tomato display, though I agree about the prices! The raw chocolate sounds great, orange flavoured is always my favourite :)
    Beck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orange chocolate always makes me think of Christmas too, so it seems perfect at this time of year :)

      Delete
  15. Kari, chocolate covered raisins are a favorite o'mine and your raw chocolate-covered ones sound fabulous. I also enjoyed your tomatoes in a vase... I'm sure they tasted as beautiful as they looked! (Those late-season "gifts" are a treat, aren't they?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed :-) Thanks for stopping by Kim!

      Delete
  16. i thought the liquorice looked like witchetty grubs:) love your tomatoes and the chocolate. it is so warm here in brissie- hard to believe you will be having a cold Xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of yummy sweeties this month :-) but how nice are ripen tomatoes :-) thanks for sharing! Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoy seeing the new food products you are finding over there.
    I bet it's a very different feeling coming into November and it actually getting 'colder'!
    I can't wait for Christmas festivities to be upon us, I'm well and truly ready for this year to be over!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).