Thursday, November 6, 2014

Pear and banana oat bread

I didn't set out to make this oat bread. I thought I could turn some over-ripe pears and banana into raw oat ball snacks. However, somewhere during my ingredient processing, I decided that balls were unlikely to stick together. I turned the mix into a baked loaf instead. It could have gone horribly wrong, but instead turned out surprisingly well.


Consistent with my love of simple recipes, this is a minimalist bread: there are only 4 ingredients, and 2 of them are fruits. There is no rising time, no raising agent, and no kneading. Effectively, the loaf is porridge turned into bread.


The ingredient list does make this a dense loaf, and it has good staying power in terms of satisfying hunger. It is also more of a breakfast or snack bread than something to use for sandwiches. The loaf isn't overly sweet, but I couldn't imagine pairing it with savoury toppings. I enjoyed it plain and fresh for the first day after baking, and then enjoyed it toasted and spread with jam. If you eat honey, that would work well too - and of course nut butters complement most things. The bread held together fine for toasting and kept well in the refrigerator for a week.


I imagine my simple ingredient list could be expanded. Some cinnamon or nutmeg might be a nice addition to the mix, or vanilla, or even different fruits. However, I was quite pleased with my impromptu back to basics loaf. I can imagine making it again when I have over-ripe fruit to use up. It was certainly a better outcome than my imagined but doomed fruit and oat balls!

Pear and banana oat bread
A simple yet effective bread that works well for breakfast or a hearty snack
Makes approximately 15 slices
Vegan and wheat free

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
3 medium ripe pears, cored
1 medium ripe banana
5 cups rolled oats
2 tbsp tahini or nut butter of choice

Method
Preheat your oven to 180'C and prepare a loaf tin.

Process the fruit and oats in a food processor until well combined. The mixture should be like a thick dough. Add the tahini or nut butter and process to incorporate. 

Transfer the mix to your prepared tin, and bake for 16 - 20 minutes or until golden and firm on top.

Serve plain or toasted with topping; store in the refrigerator after the first day.


Have you had any impromptu products come out of your kitchen lately?

22 comments:

  1. Porridge turned into bread! That is a delightful description and it looks delicious. I love a short ingredient list and an impromptu baking result. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant - I love how you turned raw balls into bread - it is the sort of thing I would like - simple is just fine with me but some fruit and nuts in the mix would also make it into the sort of fruit bread I love as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am sure those additions would work brilliantly (and make it the sort of bread I enjoy as well).

      Delete
  3. I'm very impressed with your loaf and can't believe it only has four ingredients. Amazing! And you're very clever to switch directions halfway through the cooking process xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either that, or a fool who realised she needed to rescue a near disaster ;) Your interpretation is nicer!

      Delete
  4. What a great result from an impromptu recipe, and something I would not mind having for breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a positive outcome from a recipe-less start!

      Delete
  5. I love the sound of porridge turned in to bread! I've had porridge turn in to pudding but bread would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never occurred to me before this but did work surprisingly well!

      Delete
  6. I do love how easy this is....and I just happen to have all the ingredients handy! Weekend breakfast? Happening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lovely loaf! I wish I'd thought of bread instead of soup the last time my pears were getting tired. I can imagine a slice of this bread buttered and toasted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fantastic! The thought of pears and so healthy! Perfect breakfast food! Sometimes the best recipes come from experiments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This loaf looks like a rather happy accident! Delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we need accidents to highlight new possibilities :-)

      Delete
  10. Love the refreshing tandem of banana and pear. Both have their unique flavours that will surely blend well together. Thanks for sharing, Kari!!!

    Gourmet Getaways xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this is my favourite kind of snack- a hearty bread/scone to spread with jam, yum! I love it when accidental recipes work so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome :-)
    Always like a change from regular breakfast!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).