Friday, November 21, 2014

Fitness Fridays - getting back into cycling, and heading off for another half marathon

With our shipment arriving last month, I was reunited with my bike and able to add cycling to my mix of gym-free activities. I was concerned my bike would need to go back into storage as it would be hard to fit in our flat, but fortunately we've hit upon a solution with locking it and covering it in our shared front courtyard. It takes me about 5 minutes to take the cover off and undo the two locks, but at least I can use it!

Clearly an Australian bike photo...

I haven't used my bike much for serious exercise, but I am now cycling to work 3 times a week. When I wrote my August post about giving up a gym membership, I was running 4 times per week and considering going up to 5 times. That mix included a run home from work once per week. That was a novelty at first, but I will confess to getting tired of it quite soon. I am really not an evening / after work exerciser...

I did end up increasing my running to 5 days per week in the lead up to my Ealing half marathon in September. However, I found the higher mileage sparked some niggling pains and also running fatigue. My bike arrived the week after that race, so it was a good time to re-think exercise routines.



Now that I have a bike again, I have scrapped running home from work and also brought my running back to 4 days per week. My cycling journey is 30 - 35 minutes each way, meaning that the days I cycle I don't really need more activity. I try to do some low key pilates on two of the mornings I cycle, and do a short run on the third.

In addition to bringing my running frequency back to four times per week, I have slightly reduced the distance of my mid-week runs. It feels like a better routine. I still do my long run on Saturday, and Sundays remain a rest day. A plus of the cycling is that my public transport use has dropped significantly too.


The test of this change will be in my second 2014 half marathon, which is happening this weekend. Excitingly, it is happening in Wales, so we are heading off tomorrow for a 3 day weekend. I am extraordinarily excited about the trip - I have barely set foot in Wales previously, and we are hiring a car, so will be driving for the first time since we left Australia. Plus, this is our first (mini) UK holiday and first occasion of taking leave from work.

The run is the Conwy half marathon, which I focused on because of the amazing course. It starts and finishes at Conwy castle, and takes in 13.1 miles of Welsh coastline in the middle. This is a race I am doing for pure enjoyment, with very little care for time. I am looking forward to seeing how it feels after my slightly revised training routine, and with a very easy going mindset about the event.

Do you cycle for transport? And what about running races linked in with holidays?

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like such a beautiful race!! Good luck, I'm sure you will have a lot of fun, and you have a great attitude about your time :)

    I bike to work, and it is just so much more enjoyable than driving or transit! Definitely tiring though. And less fun in the winter. Like you, I prefer to get in a quick run/workout before cycling, rather than try to exercise again in the evening... it's hard to find the motivation for that =].

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! And yes, motivation for anything in the evening is pretty lacking around here ;)

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the run - this is the sort of run that makes me wish I was a runner. And hope you enjoy wales - it is such a beautiful part of the UK. It is great you are able to use your bike again. I miss the days when I cycled to work regularly. I felt much fitter and felt so much better getting into work. How bike-friendly are you finding london - are there bike lanes on the way to your work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been so pleasantly surprised by my cycling route! I was quite fearful of riding here, and my route doesn't have any dedicated cycle paths, although it is mostly on a 'cycling route'. However, I go a fairly backstreets way and I have found it surprisingly quiet, and the cars surprisingly polite. There are two short sections each way I find a bit nerve wracking but it is no worse than riding in Perth.

      Delete
  3. I admire your tenacity - if I hurt, I'd give up. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but after the hurt comes serious exhilaration :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great race, especially with all the crispy leaves as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dannii - the crispy leaves were actually local but the scenery was certainly stunning in Wales!

      Delete
  5. I can't run more than two days a week without getting injured and/or bored. It's definitely better for your body to mix it up with some cycling!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a relief to hear, you being a marathon runner and all! So many runners seem to hold the unhelpful view that more is better, always.

      Delete
  6. That's fantastic that you've finally been reaquainted with your bike and that you can actually commute to work ♥ I've commuted most days on my bike this year. It was wonderful whilst we had all that dry weather, but the last couple of weeks have been a bit of a challenge battling heavy rain & wind. It's not great fun but I'm determined to get over my 'fair weather biker' rep and get stuck in ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee - it sounds like you are well on the way to achieving it based on your recent weather! It hasn't been too bad here on the days I've ridden but I am sure I will hit some poor weather before long. I'll try to stick it out too!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).