Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Natural Balance Foods - Nākd bars sampler case


I am really looking forward to sharing some photos from our weekend (and my half marathon) away. It was a great trip, with lots of beautiful scenery.

While I'm sorting out photos, though, I am also really pleased to bring you this review of vegan snack bars by Natural Balance Foods. I have mentioned my love of their Nākd bars before, and I also enjoy their Trek protein bars. The company prides itself on using whole foods in a close to natural form, and all of their bars are vegan, wheat free and gluten free.



I was offered the chance to review a mixed sampler pack of Nākd bars, pictured at the top, which came with 10 bars including several flavours I hadn't previously tried. I think the writing inside the box sums up the company rather well. Their webpage states that they're "devoted to increasing world happiness with yummy healthy snacks, humour and helpfulness"...and I think opening up the above package would invoke happiness in most. It certainly did in me!


As a British company, Natural Balance Foods have traditionally been available in the UK only, although they started appearing in Australia a few years ago too. Now, they are taking their products to the US, meaning that it will be even easier to pick up one of their snacks. The US market has a lot of 'whole food' snack bars already, but I think Natural Balance Foods will give them some helpful competition. Most of their bars have four or fewer ingredients, and the bars taste incredibly like the flavour they are meant to.


I took some of my sample pack away with me, and the bars provided perfect pre and post running fuel. I was focused on the flavours I hadn't tasted previously, including rhubarb and custard, caffe mocha, and cashew cookie. I don't know how the company gets their bars so close to the descriptors, but the bars really did taste of what they were meant to. The caffe mocha was particularly delicious and I think may be one of my favourites.



It is really delightful to find a company that you are happy to support wholeheartedly, from their philosophy to their ingredient choices to their final food products. Natural Balance Foods ticks all those boxes for me, and I'm really grateful for the opportunity to write up a formal review.


I was provided with a complimentary sample case of Nākd bars. My opinions are entirely my own.

What is your favourite snack bar flavour at the moment?

19 comments:

  1. I love Nakd bars, but I REALLY want to try their new Christmas pudding one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried it! It's good! I haven't had the Bakewell Tart one though - that is on my 'to find' list :)

      Delete
  2. Wow these sound AWESOME! I wish we got them here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had them when I went to London and took some home. I look forward to being able to buy them when they are in the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked them when here - and also that you can get them locally soon as well :-)

      Delete
  4. Nakd bars are a favourite with me, possible not just because of the good taste but also because it was the first of these raw bars that I discovered. And I do love how their ingredient list doesn't require me finding my glasses to read what is in them - that seems like honesty to me - nothing to hide. (Though I do wonder about the flavouring in the rhubarb and custard bar - how natural are they?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have pondered that too, I will confess. Have you seen some of the Heston type cooking shows where they use distilled flavours? That is my best guess - essences distilled down from original foods in a magical sciency way.

      Delete
  5. These sound delicious. I love that they have minimal ingredients. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for them in Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do! They were a bit pricey there but worth it on occasion :-)

      Delete
  6. These sound rather good, and I love the name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those bars come in so many wonderful flavours. Congrats on running another half-marathon. You must be so fit - I do wish I could do some jogging but my bloody knees! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! Your knees really do throw up challenges - fortunately you can enjoy the bars anyway though ;)

      Delete
  8. I really like the Nakd bars too - the only exception being the Christmas pudding one, which tasted filthy. You had a lucky escape if you didn't have any in your sampler box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mind it actually! I don't like regular Christmas pudding though, so perhaps my liking it suggests it doesn't compare well to the real thing :P I want to try the bakewell tart one still!

      Delete
  9. I love Nakd bars and usually have one stashed in my backpack for snack emergencies. I tried the caffe mocha one for the first time recently and absolutely loved it. My current faves are the mocha, cocoa mint & cocoa orange. I'd love to try the Christmas Pudding one next :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look forward to hearing what you think of it if you do, based on the comments above!

      Delete
  10. These are also available here! :-)
    I love choc-orange flavour in these bars the best

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).