Sunday, November 30, 2014

Jamie Oliver inspired gado-gado

Is anyone else enjoying Jamie Oliver's new show, Jamie's Comfort Food? Most of the dishes are a long way off being vegan, and we tend to skip the meat heavy ones, but I love his enthusiasm for food. Plus, even when the recipe isn't one I'd make as is, I often pick up tips for making things easier and/or better.

Gado-gado salad in sweet potato


Given my enjoyment of the show, it was great to see a recipe featured recently (recently in our viewing, not necessarily in when it was aired!) that was vegan friendly and appealed to me and Mr Bite. Gado-gado is an Indonesia salad that translates as "mix-mix". It is traditionally made with a variety of raw and cooked vegetables in a peanut satay dressing, and topped with boiled potatoes, tofu and hard boiled eggs. Obviously eggs aren't vegan, but the rest of it is.

We watched Jamie make his version of the salad and I made a mental note to look up the recipe. Then, the Thursday before we went to Conwy, I was lacking dinner ideas and decided to give gado-gado a try. The whimsical nature of my decision means my salad is a simplified version of Jamie's and doesn't include any cooked ingredients. We served the salad in wraps on the first night, and I took some to work and then finished it off in a sweet potato the following day. It was really good.



It is a mystery to me that Mr Bite doesn't like peanut butter (and by that I mean he actively dislikes peanut butter) but he does like satay sauce. However, I am very glad for the quirk that makes that possible. In a similar scenario, I usually dislike raw salad onion but I liked it when smothered in satay sauce. All in all, I think it's fair to say that we both liked everything about this salad. Next time around I will try adding some bean sprouts, cooked grean beans and the tofu and potatoes too.


Gado-gado
An Indonesian satay salad
Serves 4
Vegan

Blender required


Ingredients
For the sauce
1 clove garlic
120g (1/2 cup) peanut butter
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp lemon juice (or lime juice)
1 tbsp water

For the salad
1 small red cabbage, sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced
2 carrots, thinly sliced
2 coloured peppers, thinly sliced
Small bunch of radishes, thinly sliced

Steamed green beans, potatoes and tofu, optional and to taste (I skipped these in my impromptu version)

Method
To make the sauce, combine all sauce ingredients in a small blender and process until smooth. Pour the sauce around a large salad bowl, distributing it evenly around the sides.

Add the sliced raw vegetables to your salad bowl and stir to coat in the sauce. Top with any cooked vegetables or tofu, and serve.

Have you made any TV show recipes lately?

11 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! Love the presentation in a sweet potato! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love gado gado - though my peanut butter cooking has reduced since we got the peanut allergy in the family. The combination of potato, tofu and really fresh vegies works so well with the spicy peanut sauce. I must try it with another nut butter some time. That is odd the Mr Bite doesn't like peanut butter - even E who is not so keen is going through a stage of eating it on toast occasionally. But all the more for you :-) and it is nice you can share gado gado.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'all the more for me' bit is a bit dangerous sometimes, especially as the same applies for my other nut butters as well :P It is great that we could both enjoy this though...and I wonder if a sesame seed or almond butter version would work in your household (the latter a more expensive option though, sadly)?

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious. I think peanut sauce is delicious on most things really. I love the idea of serving the gado gado on sweet potato too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - and yes, peanut sauce goes so well with everything!

      Delete
  4. This is a great take on gado gado and I love all the flavour. Jamie is such an inspiration - he's got a great gift. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does indeed. I love how he has the character to bring his cooking to life (and take it into the community too).

      Delete
  5. The flavours sound awesome! We've used cashew butter instead of peanut butter and a little extra soy sauce, it works a treat for people who don't like peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had a chance yet to watch his new series, but I sure have enjoyed some of his old ones :-)
    Definitely lots of hints that we can pick up.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).