Sunday, November 16, 2014

Chai spiced chocolate truffles

Do you think it's too early to start Christmas themed posts? Usually I reserve anything Christmassy until December, but London is starting to seem rather festive and, if I'm honest, I rather like it.


If you are Christmas inclined, these truffle balls are perfect for the holiday season. However, they are also perfect for anytime, so you don't have to be in the Christmas spirit to enjoy them. These are surprisingly like commercial chocolate truffles, but are fruit and nut based and coated in cocoa powder (and lucuma powder in my pictures) rather than a solid chocolate coating.


The chai flavours here are subtle but enjoyable, and come from brewed black chai tea and extra mixed spice and vanilla. I thought afterwards that some chilli would have been nice too, so if you like chilli chocolate, that could be an enjoyable twist to try. Of course, you could also choose to coat these in solid chocolate if you prefer your truffles that way.


These are best stored in the fridge, but are firm enough to be packaged up in layers if you want to put together gift boxes. They will also stay firm if left at room temperature for a while, so you can put them out for people to nibble on and not worry that they will collapse!

Chai spiced chocolate truffles
Delicately spiced truffle balls that are perfect for the holiday season, or any season
Makes about 24 truffle balls
Vegan

Allow at least 4 hours for preparation
Food processor required

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup (250ml) strong chai tea, made with hot water and a tea bag or tea leaves (no milk)
1 cup (140g) sultanas or raisins
1 cup (140g) raw almonds
1/2 tsp mixed spice (pumpkin pie spice, or 1/4 tsp each of cinnamon and nutmeg)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa powder

Cocoa powder or other powders, extra, for coating (I used a mix of cocoa and lucuma)

Method
Allow the chai tea to brew for at least 15 minutes, and then add the sultanas/raisins to the tea mixture and allow to soak for at least 30 minutes. 

Transfer the tea and sultanas/raisins to a food processor along with the almonds. Process until the ingredients are finely ground and starting to clump together (due to the tea, the mixture will be easier to process and quite moist compared to standard fruit/nut truffles).

Add the mixed spice, vanilla and cocoa powder to the food processor and process to incorporate. 

Place the truffle mix in the fridge for approximately 30 minutes to firm up.

When the truffle mix has refrigerated for 30 minutes, place your preferred truffle coatings (cocoa powder / lucuma powder / coconut) in separate small bowls. Use a teaspoon to scoop out small truffle balls, and then roll in your hands to shape. Coat in your powder of choice and set aside. Repeat for the remaining balls.

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.


Tell me - are you in the mood for Christmas yet, or is this just too early (I know Americans still have Thanksgiving to come!)?

22 comments:

  1. YUM! ...and no! It's def not too early to start a Christmas post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really great! I'm looking forward to trying them : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. you make me jealous with your christmassy uk - the christmas decorations in the city are just too sad to even cheer up anyone and the carols in the supermarket make me grit my teeth but I have enjoyed watching the UK John Lewis and Sainsburys Christmas commercials online. Those truffles sound really interesting in a good way and I really want to see that plate with the truffles all eaten so I can see the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The John Lewis and Sainsbury's ads are my favourite so far :-) Christmas ads have been a real revelation here - so different to what we get in Australia! And as for the plates, they were a wedding gift from my brother and sister and by far my favourite set. I've had them in various pictures but never with all of the bases shown, so I may share them in my next IMK post. You wouldn't have had to wait long for the truffles to have been eaten though ;)

      Delete
  4. Ha, I'm with Johanna! And the truffles are great, I think I'll make them as gifts (for others, not myself. But I always seem to eat the gifts I make for others... hmmm).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh these truffle balls! Love these for my tea...just perfect!

    Julie & Alesah
    Gourmet Getaways xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is pretty much how I make my truffles too. They are so good, aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw these on FB and thought they looked very festive and really good. I love these sorts of balls and my mother used to make them every Christmas so to me these are a total reminder that Christmas is on the approach. I have so many recipes I want to make and blog this Christmas but I'm starting to feel stressed as day after day goes by and I haven't even started. Will have to do something about it. I'm definitely going to make some rum balls using my mother's recipe xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time can be in short supply at this time of year, can't it? At least you have started your Christmas cake preparations, and rum balls sound like a perfect addition to any Christmas event.

      Delete
  8. These look fantastic, Kari! Never too early for xmas stuff :) I love chai flavoured anything. Love these photos by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nope! I certainly don't think it's too early. I mean, I've been hearing Christmas music everywhere I turn! I feel like Christmas celebration begins earlier and earlier each year. Anyway, I've been drinking tons of chai tea lately (with a splash of soy milk), and so these truffles are quite enticing! You come up with the most delicious truffle flavor combinations ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been drinking heaps of chai tea too - the cooler weather increases my already high tea consumption! I'm glad you like the look of these, and that you're ready to embrace Christmas celebrations :-)

      Delete
  10. These are just wonderful!! I have tried a chai chocolate before and it was so good -- it looks like I could re-create that fond memory with this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since I'm way behind in my blog reading I'm glad they can be made outside of Christmas time too ;-)
    Love the idea of brewing the chai and soaking - must try! Loving chai tea lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ;) These are definitely good any time at all, don't worry!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).