Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Aubergine and pepper spaghetti 'bolognese'

I have made this dish twice in the last month, which is a high hit rate when considering that I usually leave pasta dishes to Mr Bite. The first time I made it with relatively large chunks of aubergine (eggplant), but on my re-run I chopped the vegetables into smaller pieces to give a bolognese type sauce.


As you might guess from the frequency of our eating it, we both really enjoyed this dish. It is a satisfying match for cooler, darker evenings, and a delicious use for aubergine. The meal is not very high in protein, but it does provide a great hit of vegetables. Mr Bite has added cheese to his servings, and you could also increase the protein content with a scattering of pine nuts or slivered almonds.



The use of red wine vinegar brings out the sweetness of the vegetables, allowing for a high taste sauce from relatively few ingredients. Whilst we have enjoyed the vegetable mix with spaghetti, it could also be used to top other pasta varieties - or even mixed with rice or quinoa for a different kind of dish. The 'bolognese' component is tasty enough to fit in with a variety of other ingredients.


Aubergine and pepper spaghetti 'bolognese'
A satisfying and warming pasta dish for 4
Vegan

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
Small drizzle olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
1 large onion, diced
1/8 cup + 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, divided
2 large aubergine (eggplant), diced
2 large peppers, diced
2 large carrots, diced
1/2 cup tomato paste
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
Spaghetti for four people

Black pepper, to serve

Grated cheese and/or nuts, optional, to serve

Method
Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the garlic and onion. Saute on medium-high heat for several minutes. Add 1/8 cup of red wine vinegar and the diced aubergine, pepper and carrots. Leave over medium-high heat for an additional few minutes, stirring regularly.

Add the additional 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, tomato paste, oregano and salt and reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

When the vegetable bolognese is ready, cook the spaghetti and then stir the sauce through the pasta to serve.


What is your favourite way to use aubergine (eggplant)? I don't have a huge repertoire of dishes that use it, but I think this is my new favourite!

16 comments:

  1. I like making veggie bolognese, although I usually add some lentils for some protein.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my usual style too, but I just wasn't feeling lentils on this occasion!

      Delete
  2. This looks like a lovely meal to enjoy on a cold night in London. I'm glad it's been a hit and that you've made it a few times. I do like to cook pasta dishes as usually they're the ones the whole family will enjoy and there will be few complaints (except for those not wanting carbs!) I like how you added a bit of red wine vinegar. I recently made a pasta with eggplant and a bit of balsamic and it really did bring out the sweetness xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the various demands in your household, I imagine pasta is one of the most likely dishes to satisfy all! Your recent pasta with eggplant and balsamic sounds great too - it is amazing how those kinds of vinegars and wines bring out sweetness.

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious! I have some eggplants growing, so perhaps I'll rescue them from the grasshoppers and made this! I may add some red lentils to up the protein though... although almonds also sound like a great option!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lentils would definitely work well. For some reason I didn't want them on this night (most unlike me!) but they would bulk the dish out beautifully :-) How fun to have your own eggplants growing as well.

      Delete
  4. I love this hearty veggie-based bolognese! Sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pasta looks really good - E is not keen on eggplants which makes me cook them less but they are soo good when soft and falling apart - which sounds an excellent idea for a spag bol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Bite isn't usually very keen on eggplant either, but happily he liked them in this form - I think the sweetness from the vinegar and the small pieces won him over.

      Delete
  6. This looks great - I'm always glad to find recipes for eggplant because I never know how to cook it! I love pasta- it's the one processed thing I can't get enough of :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely one of the easiest eggplant cooking approaches I've tried. No advance salting or anything!

      Delete
  7. It looks an enjoyable dish, and chunky, too! Veggies, protein and cheese sound fantastic!!!

    Julie & Alesah
    Gourmet Getaways xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eggplant works so wonderfully with tomatoes, we've often added it to our bolognese's we make :-)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).