Thursday, July 24, 2014

Thai-style beetroot noodles

Last week, Emma shared a gorgeous recipe for beetroot ribbon salad on her site Coconut and Berries. She paired the beetroot strands with mint and cashew cheese for a fresh, whole foods summer meal. I loved the look of her salad, but it was the idea of beetroot noodles that really stuck with me. Given how much I love my spiralizer (to the extent that it came to the UK in my suitcase rather than by ship!), it seems amazing that I hadn't thought of beetroot noodles before. They are a perfect, vibrant alternative to the zucchini noodles I already love.


In truth, beetroot and I only became friends in recent years. As may be the case for others, my childhood beetroot experiences were limited to the tinned variety. My Australian grandmother used to serve it alongside other salad options, and in addition to disliking the taste, I wasn't confident of my ability to eat it without shooting red stains onto my grandparents' carpeted floors or cloth-covered table.

In adulthood, discovering raw beetroot was a bit of a revelation. I am still not great at eating it mess free, but I can now eat away from carpets and tableclothes - and raw beetroot seems worth the mess. I have also come to like roasted beets, but raw in salad form is my favourite way of enjoying the vegetable.


With these Thai-style beetroot noodles, my enjoyment of raw beetroot has been elevated to new heights. To say I loved the dish would be an understatement. When I was photographing it, I was initially worried that the beetroot would be overpowering, and wondered if I should have used a mix of beetroot and zucchini noodles. My doubts dissolved as soon as I took my first bite. This is definitely an example of fresh produce being best when prepared simply. The beetroot gives a sweetness that perfectly compliments the slightly spicy almond dressing, and a scattering of fresh chopped almonds and basil leaves give contrasting flavours and textures.

I think I have found my perfect summer lunch. Its only downside is needing to be eaten close after preparation, so it is better for home lunches than the packed variety.


Thai-style beetroot noodles
A delicious summer lunch for one
Vegan and gluten free; can be raw depending on almond butter / chilli sauce

Beetroot noodles inspired by Coconut and Berries; other components courtesy of Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
1 large beetroot, peeled
2 tsp almond butter
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp chilli sauce (or to taste)
1 tbsp almond milk (or milk of choice - coconut would be lovely too!)
Small handful of almonds
Small handful of fresh basil leaves

Method
Spiralize your beetroot into strands, or if you don't have a spiralizer, use a julienne cutter or grater.

In a jar or jug, whisk together the almond butter, lemon juice, chilli sauce and almond milk until smooth.

Pour the dressing over the noodles and toss or stir through to distribute evenly.

Roughly chop the almonds and then scatter over the noodles, along with the basil leaves.

Enjoy!

Are you a fan of beetroot? What is your favourite way to enjoy it?

22 comments:

  1. These are absolutely beautiful and I love that you put a Thai spin on it! I think I like the look of beets more than I actually like their flavor, haha. That said, I have yet to try them in noodle form yet and I love my spiralizer, so I'll have to give it a go. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be the same - I liked how they looked, but didn't think I liked the actual taste. Now I'm a convert so hopefully they will win you over in time too!

      Delete
  2. So happy I could inspire you Kari! I know I would love your take on beetroot noodles. I wouldn't have thought to do Thai flavours but it sounds and looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma, and thank you again for the idea!

      Delete
  3. These look sooo great! They make me want to go out & buy myself a spiralizer! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed your spiraliser went in your suitcase - wonder what customs would have made of it! beetroot noodles sounds like such fun and it does seem to need a spiraliser - my grater would just not do them justice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear you're right about the grater - I wanted to give a non-spiralised option but whilst the taste would be similar the experience wouldn't be quite the same. My spiraliser is quite small (http://www.kitchenwaresuperstore.com.au/veggie-twister.html) so hopefully it didn't draw too much attention from customs, although Mr B was startled and a little perplexed when he discovered I'd brought it with us that way :P

      Delete
  5. Yep, I am definitely a fan of beetroot and all its work - I'm having a real beetroot phase at the moment, particularly with the yellow kind, eating those by the bucketful. I was actually toying with getting a spiraliser this week and whether I'd use it enough to make it a decent purchase - and you've definitely helped me make up my mind.

    The colours on the beetroot noodles are phenomenal - the whole thing looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever had the yellow variety! I will have to rectify that as they do look beautiful.

      I'm glad I could help with the spiraliser decision. I definitely don't regret getting mine - it is used in phases but is well worth having.

      Delete
  6. This sounds really good with the almond butter and chilli.
    We had a beetroot salad last night with some feta and parsley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're already living the beetroot life :D

      Delete
  7. Truthfully, I'm not that into cooked beets...but maybe eating them raw will be what finally wins me over! I'm sure those delicious thai flavors couldn't hurt either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely the raw type that won my heart - and nut butter improves everything ;)

      Delete
  8. This is such a pretty salad, Kari. I have always loved beetroot. My grandmother used to grow and pickle her own beetroot and it was so much better than the canned variety that I've always loved beetroot. I'd love to try and make this salad but must by a spiralizer - it makes food look really pretty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your grandmother set you up well! I am in awe of home beetroot pickling though, because I can just imagine how messy the kitchen would get. I am barely able to manage one beetroot for this without turning everything purple!

      Delete
  9. This looks so fresh and summery. It was bitter here yesterday, so I am going to think warm and summery thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes pretending it is summer can go a long way :)

      Delete
  10. Thai almost always means fresh and flavourful. I would like to try this refreshing dish. Thanks for sharing!

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Thai flavours are definitely amongst my favourite. I put them in everything I can (well, not desserts :P ). Glad you like the look of this!

      Delete
  11. Have never tried to spiralise a beetroot! I may have to experiment! Does it bleed much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not anywhere near as much as I expected! You do get a certain amount of mess, but no more than I get with using beetroot in other forms.

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).