Tuesday, July 1, 2014

In my kitchen - July 2014

I am linking this post in to Celia's monthly In My Kitchen event at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.

It seems a long time since my June In My Kitchen post. My Australian kitchen has been replaced by a new space, new foods and new utensils.

I have re-started my tea collection. So far I'm up to Chai, 
Early Grey, lemon and ginger, and liquorice.

As some of you may have spotted on Facebook, one star feature in my kitchen this month is a new NutriBullet. My Australian blender was not a very powerful machine, to the extent that I basically never used it and made smoothies in my food processor instead (not really ideal).


With my food processor coming by sea, I knew the move would provide the perfect opportunity for a new blender. It didn't take a lot of consideration to settle on the NutriBullet. It does everything I'd hoped for and more, and I suspect smoothies will feature regularly for the next few months.

My kitchen also features new plates. You may have spotted them in my recent food photos. We have four large and four small, and they will tide us over until our white dining set arrives.


In addition to one saucepan and one non-stick pan, I also now have a John Lewis casserole dish that can go from stove top to oven with no difficulty. I have never had a dish like this before, but I am loving how versatile it is, and that it comes with a lid. As I don't have any mixing bowls yet, it has also served as an impromptu mixing bowl on occasion!


Moving on from non-edible items, there are, of course, plenty of edible things happening too. Do you remember me waxing lyrical about my love of yogurt coated banana chips? The yogurt variety still contain dairy, but I was delighted to spot these dairy free chocolate coated banana chips. They're not the healthiest treat out there, but they are delicious!


(Incidentally, did you know that Australians spell yoghurt with an h, while the British spell it yogurt? I'm trying to adapt.)

Another 'occasional' treat comes in the form of these vegan creme caramel desserts from Tesco. Creme caramel was a favourite before I abandoned dairy and gelatin, and it was exciting to see this version. They aren't quite like the traditional variety, but they come close.


In my kitchen, there are signs of hybrid Australian-British tastes. In other words, we have Vegemite and Marmite. These are largely Mr Bite's, for spreading on bread / toast.


I have tried several commercial wraps over the last month. One area of surprise in comparing Australian and UK foods is in wrap bread. Most of the UK brands carry rather long ingredient lists, with plenty of preservatives and numbers featuring in the list. The Food Doctor brand is better than most, but I think I may pursue homemade wrap bread if I can manage it.


We did enjoy some falafel balls in said wrap bread, for an easy dinner in our early weeks when we were eating on the floor!


 My baking supplies are starting to come together. I now have plain flour, spelt flour and chickpea flour, as well as coconut sugar (a new buy for me) and coconut oil. The image below also shows a brand of coconut milk that I loved in coffee.


In my kitchen, there have been recipe successes and some, well, non-successes. This spiced chickpea and potato dish was in the latter category. The flavours weren't quite right, and Mr Bite ate his serve with a very large helping of mango chutney.


More successful was this 'everything' salad I threw together for lunch. With spinach, pepper, carrot, tofu, almonds, berries, a drizzle of balsamic and a side of salt and vinegar rice cracker, it was a little random but nonetheless delicious.


What is happening in your kitchen this month?

46 comments:

  1. oooh that creme caramel looks interesting! Congrats on the NutriBullet, I don't need one but I admit I sit there watching those infomercials...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't the infomercials hilarious? Terrible but captivating at the same time! I was glad to be able to go into a shop and buy it in person here ;)

      Delete
  2. That NutriBullet - I too am a believer and can't wait to blitz everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your plates - sometimes I think I should go all food blogger and have lots of plain white plates but I love colour - I do love the shape of these plate. I also love your casserole dish - I have a few that go from stovetop to oven and I love them - they are great for starting a stew on the stovetop and then leting it stew in the oven - esp my mexicale pie where I add the dumplings and bake it. And I have blender envy and want some chocolate covered banana chips (never seen them before) and love the sound of your salad. My kitchen has had some hits and misses lately but is not nearly as exciting as your starter kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually really like seeing bloggers' coloured plates so am glad not everyone goes with all white. We had a patterned set in Australia that I loved (well, the rims were patterned), but they were given to me second hand when I set up home and sadly with another 5 years of use had become quite chipped. I passed them on to my sister but suspect I'll miss them in photos!

      I have never seen coated banana chips in Australia, which is strange because most things filter through eventually. I guess chocolate ones wouldn't be too hard to make at home if you used melted chocolate, so perhaps you can get some that way?!

      Delete
  4. I do love Chai and since I moved to Australia have gotten much more into tea but still a coffee girl at heart. And your casserole dish from stove to oven! I'll keep an eye out for some of your creations. You might inspire me to add one to my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a coffee and tea girl - I say embrace all the drinks :-)

      Delete
  5. Kari, you've managed to miss winter altogether this year! So glad to hear that the move has gone well! I'm looking at the few items you have in your kitchen as you wait for the rest of your stuff to arrive, and I can't help but think that we really don't need nearly as much as we all have. I love that your casserole pot seems to do everything - even stand in for a mixing bowl! Look forward to seeing more of your kitchen as it evolves! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only have I missed winter, I am managing many consecutive months of summer fruit! I think I may turn into a berry!

      You're right that it's possible to live with much less than we usually have. We don't have a microwave yet and it's amazing how you adapt (even with some challenges) and ditto beaters or tongs or many other things I thought were 'essential'.

      Delete
  6. How fun to re-stock a whole kitchen! That creme caramel looks so good, wish we had that one! And the choc banana chips. Endless possibilities with the nutribullet, I would be pretty excited about that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I've seen one commercial vegan creme caramel, I do wonder why there aren't more. Obviously it is possible, so why is Australia not on board?! ;)

      Delete
  7. I love how you also have the nutri-bullet. Someone just wrote a comment on my post saying it makes excellent peanut butter! Ours is in use several times a day and we're loving it - so much better than a blender. My Archie has just started seeing a girl. It's all very hush-hush at the moment but I thought I'd mention it because she's a vegan! He phoned me all in a fluster because she came over for dinner and he didn't know what to cook for her! They cooked together and made a mushroom stir-fry xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I am yet to try it for nut butters! I can't get by the amazing drinks, although did use it to blitz almonds to put in veggie burgers the other day.

      I love the thought of Archie's panic at vegan food ;) Hopefully he'll discover it's not that hard - and you will have lots of excuses to bring out your recent vegan cheesecake!

      Delete
  8. OK now I'll have to buy a Nutri bullet - that's 3 IMK posts this month featuring it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so nice to get new things and great to hear that not everything works out in your kitchen, I thought that I was the only one! Instead of a Bullet, I bought a Thermomix, a bit extreme I know, but I am loving it :)
    Thanks for sharing!
    Liz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, a thermomix is very exciting! You'll have lots of fun with that I''m sure.

      Delete
  10. Marmite? Nooooooo!!! You've crossed over to the dark side lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha...does it make it better or worse that we sourced it in Australia to acclimatize pre-move? ;)

      Delete
  11. I like all that you just tossed into that "everything" salad, especially the almonds and berries. And those chocolate coated banana chips look very tasty!

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie :-) I really did enjoy the salad - I expect there may be more in a similar theme before (UK) summer is over!

      Delete
  12. I've not seen that NutriBullet in the UK. I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selfridges :-) Or, you an order online from Amazon too.

      Delete
  13. I'm really enjoying reading about your vegan finds in our shops. You've spotted some that I've not even come across myself yet... like those creme caramel in Tesco (one of the drawbacks of internet shopping is I don't get to see what's new).
    I really thought we spelt yoghurt with an h too... just going to run to the kitchen and check.... no you're right... it's without an h. How weird that I didn't know that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'm glad it wasn't just me thrown by the missing 'h' in that case :-)

      Definitely look out for the Tesco creme caramels, or add them to your next online order. They're really delicious!

      Delete
  14. Enjoyed seeing your new range of food there & your new kitchen items! So glad you finally have a 'blender' you are happy with - I really see a blender as a kitchen essential!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see it as one too now! It's less bulky than a food processor as well :)

      Delete
  15. Gosh - and there you are, in your new kitchen! Seeing the photo of your wrap on the floor takes me back to when you arrive in a new destinations and meals are hastily thrown together. Yes, I knew about yogurt/yoghurt. We're all class with the 'h'. What about the pronunciation of pasta though? People used to look at us askance when we said 'parstar' as opposed to 'past - ar'. Enjoy our new adventures and thanks for the tatsy tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I hadn't picked up on the pasta pronunciation yet! Thank you for the warning, I will try not to draw attention to myself now ;)

      Delete
  16. Kari, I bet you're anxious for everything to come together in your kitchen at last! Your white plates are elegant and understated and would certainly make eating on the floor more tolerable until your table arrives. (Gorgeous impromptu salad!) Here in the States yoghurt is spelled 'the plain way' (yogurt), but I love British and/or other countries' spellings of words such as flavour, favourite, savour... and yoghurt. More to love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim :-) We are looking forward to our shipment and remaining things arriving, but are also a little bit worried about whether all that 'stuff' will fit, so there are some advantages to living with few possessions ;)

      Delete
  17. Lovely new items in your kitchen. I must try licourice tea sometime. Wraps are quite easy to make so hope you give them a go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tandy! I have decided to transition to homemade pizza bases post-move, so wraps can perhaps just go on the 'make at home' list :) And definitely do give liquorice tea a try - it is one of my favourites!

      Delete
  18. I gave up on store bought wraps ages ago as I have never been able to find any without a whole heap of crap I don't want to eat. They are supremely easy to make yourself, so give it a go. I have the method I use on my site if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  19. there is something so mesmerising about those nutri bullet ads. bloggers seem to be raving about them at the moment. maybe i DO really need one? :)) i have always found it odd that the british say passta (like ass) rather than parsta like we do. we aussies must be right of course!:) and surely italians say it like we do?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely! ;) And really, who wants any word to have the pronunciation of 'ass' in it?

      Delete
  20. Okay, yours the second IMK post I've read to feature the Nutri-Bullet. I've got to get one now :) Thanks for a lovely IMK post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be a Nutri-Bullet kind of month! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  21. G'day I could not get my eyes off of the creme caramel!
    Thanks for this month's kitchen view too!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  22. We are divided in our family into the Marmite camp and Bovril camp. Until I married I thought everyone spread Bovril on their bread, but apparently not. I didn't realise we Brits spell it yogurt - I always put an h in it, but then my father always insisted on pronouncing it yo-ghurt rather than yog-hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your father must have had an Australian streak ;) Yo-ghurt is how I grew up saying it too. After thinking yogurt was the spelling here, I saw an 'h' in the word in Asda a few days ago, so now I'm unsure of what is correct!!

      Delete
  23. 3 Researches PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally get rid of fat by consuming coconut fats (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).