Thursday, July 3, 2014

Vegan spelt banana bread with coconut sugar

I don't think you can really know an oven, or trust it, until you have used it to bake a cake. I have gone through a trial and error process with our new oven, as it has rather worn labels that aren't very easy to read. One on occasion, I thought I was grilling but had actually set the oven to 'defrost'. I didn't even know ovens could have a defrost setting. Basically, it just blows air around with no heat. I don't anticipate using the feature again!

Spelt banana bread with coconut sugar

Happily, our new oven does have several strengths. It heats up much quicker than my Australian one did, which is particularly useful while we're living without a microwave. It also has an in-built timer that doesn't turn the oven off when it gets to zero (my last oven did that - very unhelpful). Most importantly of all, it seems to cook things evenly. This banana bread was the test, and the proof. 


I only had 2 medium bananas when making this, so I found the final product a tiny bit lacking in flavour. It was still enjoyable, though, and if you use 3 bananas it would be even better (I have listed 3 in the ingredient list). I was also pleased to try out my new coconut sugar, and liked the subtle sweetness it provided.

If you did want to make this a bit more exciting, nut butter goes with banana bread rather brilliantly. You could use it instead of oil in the cake, or spread the final product with a generous layer. Or - both!


Spelt banana bread with coconut sugar
A low fuss bread that makes an excellent afternoon tea
Vegan
Makes 1 small loaf or cake, to serve 6 to 8; double quantities for a larger version

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
3 medium-large ripe bananas
1 tbsp olive or other vegetable oil
1/8 cup non-dairy milk of choice
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup spelt flour
1/4 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1 to 2 tsp coconut sugar, extra, for sprinkling

Method
Preheat your oven to 180'C and grease or line a small loaf tin or round cake tin.

Roughly mash the bananas in a bowl and add in the oil, milk, vanilla and coconut sugar. Mix to combine.

In a mixing bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Add in the banana mix and stir to fully incorporate.

Transfer the batter to your prepared tin and sprinkle with extra coconut sugar.

Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean (mine took 20 minutes but I'm not yet sure how my oven compares to others; keep an eye on it at the end).

Do you have any favourite uses for coconut sugar? Or, do you have / use a defrost feature on your oven?!

23 comments:

  1. Is it a rustic cake? That's my all-time favourite. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to use 'rustic' to refer to slightly less than neat, which means I think all my cakes are rustic ;)

      Delete
  2. Must be happy days to produce a decent cake in your oven and a banana cake sounds like a good one to start with. I've never heard of a defrost setting on an oven either - is it a gas oven?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, electric! But perhaps a very basic electric - it turns out there is no grill, just the odd defrost setting, regular non-fan forced oven, and fan forced oven. Odd!!

      Delete
    2. no grill sounds disturbing - grilling is one of my favourite ways to cook burgers and vegies sausages - but at least it is easier to fix with a new oven than our dodgy gas supply which made our new oven as slow as the old one

      Delete
  3. Yes, putting new ovens through their paces is always s trial. Your banana bread turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely! I haven't baked with coconut sugar before. It's good you're working out your new oven. They can cause a bit of trouble when you're familiar with them. I once baked dozens of wedding cupcakes in a new oven- not the smartest idea or the most relaxing thing, I was very lucky they turned out although I obsessed about it for weeks after!!! Defrost setting? Yes I have one and have never used it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Gosh, your wedding cupcake story sounds stressful! Thank goodness the oven was reliable and they worked out. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a defrost setting either, even if it seems it isn't a very useful feature to have!

      Delete
  6. i am always a bit wary when trying out a new oven...but I'm so glad your first cake turned out so beautifully!! I foresee this being the first of many delicious things coming out of your new oven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne! I certainly hope so :)

      Delete
  7. I was so worried about testing out our new oven. It was a lot smaller than our old one...but thankfully it bakes things up beautifully. This banana bread looks amazing. I just bought some coconut sugar too! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'll look forward to seeing what you do with your coconut sugar :)

      Delete
  8. I totally agree with you. I judge all ovens on how evenly a cake will rise and how well they can make a pavlova. Your spelt banana bread looks and sounds delicious xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done a pavlova test for years, but between you and me, I think my previous oven would have failed! Let's hope this new one is a bit better...

      Delete
  9. I like the healthy ingredients in here, all carefully thought of and combined. This will go well with my afternoon tea!

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think afternoon tea is the perfect time for it :) Thanks Julie.

      Delete
  10. I love that this banana bread is so simple and healthy!! I love baking within both spelt flour and coconut sugar (and bananas!) so will save this recipe for later! The combination of almond butter and hearty banana bread is just divine! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. My electric oven has a defrost feature which I have never used. It also switches itself off which is a big help given that I like to make granola and then go out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! That's when a turning off feature would be useful :-) I should have thought to put my old oven to that use!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).