Tuesday, July 8, 2014

(Vegan) plum and yogurt drop scones

Two weeks ago, I predicted that it wouldn't be long until I shared a drop scone recipe. Today, I am following through on that prediction! These plum and yogurt drop scones were my first foray into drop scone territory, aided by a recent recipe for strawberry drop scones in the cooking section of the weekend Guardian. My adaptation confirmed that British drop scones and Australian pikelets are indeed close relations. It also confirmed that drop scones and I will get on together very well indeed.

Plum and yogurt drop scones

The only real difference I can highlight between drop scones and pikelets is that the former tend to include a small amount sugar within the batter, whilst pikelets (and traditional pancakes) do not. Other than that, the ingredient list is fairly standard: flour, rising agent, egg equivalent, milk equivalent, and flavourings of choice. These made use of (soy) yogurt instead of milk, and plums for an oozey, tart-yet-sweet flavour burst. 


The recipe I based these on used strawberries, and while I would love a strawberry version, fresh strawberries are currently so wonderful that I can't bring myself to bake with them. I am getting through punnets of them (and other berries!) each week. I did, however, serve these with strawberry jam, a combination that worked well.

A word of warning for whatever fruit you choose: Mr Bite found the plum pieces a little tart, and this put him off the drop scones altogether. Using sweet fruit is recommended.


Plum and yogurt drop scones
An easy morning or afternoon tea
Vegan
Makes approximately 16 small drop scones

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts, adapted from a strawberry drop scone recipe in the Guardian


Ingredients
1 tbsp chia seeds soaked in 1/2 cup water for 15 minutes (or longer)
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp caster sugar
125g soy yogurt of choice (1 small pot)
6 small plums, cored and roughly chopped

Oil, if needed, for cooking

Jam, optional, to serve

Method
In a mixing bowl, combine the flours, baking powder and caster sugar. Make a well in the centre. Add in the yoghurt and soaked chia seeds gradually, stirring to incorporate. Fold in the plum pieces.

Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and spray with oil if required. When hot, use a dessertspoon to drop spoonfuls of batter into the pan. You should be able to cook 3 or 4 scones at a time.

Allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbles start to appear on the surface. Flip, and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes until golden. Repeat for the remaining batter.

Note
Apparently dropping the batter from the tip of the spoon helps to create neat drop scones. I clearly need practice in that regard!


Do you have drop scone tips or favourite flavours?

17 comments:

  1. My bet is on sweet fruit, too ;). These scones are a good candidate for my afternoon tea! Thanks for sharing!

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they appeal Julie - and hope they delivered on afternoon tea if you had them :)

      Delete
  2. what fun scones! I might have to try them with cherries since I have so many around at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lots of cherries too, but they are going straight in my mouth ;)

      Delete
  3. british berries are amazing - they put ours to shame - it is one of the best local fruit in the UK - I too would be loathe to bury them in a drop scone or pikelet but I am sure they would be great fresh and piled on top. Interesting to hear your reflections on pikelets and drop scones. I do use sweetener in my pikelets but I think it is the texture of pikelets that is different to pancakes - sturdier and a bit breadier (if there is such a word). Yours look thick like pikelets so maybe I need to try some drop scones to satisfy the curiosity you have piqued

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They (British berries) really are - I guess the climate here is more berry friendly and it really comes out in the taste! I am obsessed!

      Texture wise, these are definitely like pikelets - fluffier and sturdier both when compared to pancakes. I am really starting to think that pikelets and drop scones are siblings as much as cousins!

      Delete
  4. I love the term "drop scones"! Using plum in these is a great idea- their tartness with the jam would be delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the term too ;) And you're spot on about the tartness / jam mix - I loved it.

      Delete
  5. Yum! These look delicious. I love things like this for brekky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want these now. Might have to make up a batch for afternoon tea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they appeal Lisa (and thanks for stopping by)!

      Delete
  7. I've never made drop scones but I'm pretty sure I've always added sugar to my pikelet batter! Yes, very funny about you and my mother having to rescue our daughters. I always thought this is how Arabella's 'solo' trip might pan out! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mothers always know best ;) I do hope your rescuing proves enjoyable!

      Delete
  8. Hmmmm perhaps I'm bias but I really think the word 'drop scones' just doesn't suit pikelets at all! Scones & pikelets have such a different texture really!
    I do always find it fascinating to hear what other countries call various food items though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the 'drop' bit comes from the cooking method, but you're write, my sense of scones is not the same as pikelets at all. But then, American scones are completely different yet again, so it seems to be a versatile word!

      Delete
  9. These look great Kari. I picked up some beautiful plums at the market this morning and am excited to dig in. I'm also going through punnet after punnet of British strawberries!
    We never had fruit in drop scones growing up but always served them with jam. Now I think I'd like them with sliced banana and nut butter, how I like my American-style pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't the strawberries amazing at the moment? I can't get enough of them!

      I have made pikelets with peanut butter and banana and now I think I should do a drop scone twist - really just for the excuse to have the combination again ;)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).