Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Ginger-chilli sweet potato and almond burgers

Before we moved, I assumed that the UK would have more vegan and vegetarian food options than Australia. In almost all ways, it undoubtedly does. However, there are a few surprising exceptions to that rule, and veggie burgers provide one such example. On reflection, it is perhaps not surprising that a country of long summers and frequent barbecues has a large number of veggie burgers to choose from. Whilst England does have some options of its own, most of them are of the faux meat variety and relatively few are vegan.


An upside of this discovery is that I suddenly have more motivation to make my own veggie burgers. Traditionally, this has been an area where I have good intentions but poor follow through. I love the idea of making up a batch of patties to suit my tastes, and freezing some to have on hand in the future. However, when I had access to supermarket burgers that I enjoyed, and which featured straightforward vegetable ingredient lists, I tended to just buy them.

These ginger-chilli sweet potato and almond patties have reminded me that homemade burgers are surprisingly easy to make. As with everything homemade, you also get to control the ingredients, flavours, and size of your patties. There is a lot to like!


As the above picture may show, I made my patties relatively small. This means you can eat more of them, a completely logical approach in my view. I also cooked these in a two-step approach, using the stove top initially and the oven thereafter. This gets around the problem of cooking patties in batches on the stove (with the first lot cooling by the time the last ones are cooked), and I find that it gives slightly crisper and firmer burgers than cooking on the stove top alone or in the oven alone. However, I am sure you could achieve good results with just one cooking method (stove top or oven) if you prefer.

One of the best things about these burgers was that Mr Bite enjoyed them too. This takes on greater significance when you consider that he doesn't like sweet potato or almonds and is usually pretty good at detecting their presence in dishes. I could barely suppress my glee when I told him the ingredient list after we'd eaten! I also like that these are legume and tofu free. I get through plenty of both, so using almond for a protein source was a nice change.


Ginger-chilli sweet potato and almond burgers
A homemade burger option that will convince you to bypass the supermarket variety
Vegan and gluten free
Makes enough burger patties to serve four if paired with bread rolls or other sides

Food processor preferable but not essential (see note below). 
Allow at least one hour for the burger mix to chill before cooking.

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
1/2 cup whole natural almonds (see note below)
1/2 cup cooked and mashed sweet potato (equivalent to approximately 1 cup pieces pre-mashing)
1 small brown onion, diced
1 medium carrot, grated
1 medium courgette, grated
1/3 cup besan (chickpea) flour, or other flour of choice
1/4 cup sweet chilli sauce, or homemade equivalent
2 to 3cm piece of fresh ginger, finely grated
2 to 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Oil, if needed, for cooking

Method
In a food processor or high-powered blender, ground your almonds until they resemble a course flour. Note. If you don't have a food processor / blender, you can buy pre-ground almonds or use almond meal instead. I would estimate needing 1/4 cup if taking that route, but haven't tested it myself.

In a large bowl, combine the ground almonds, mashed sweet potato, diced onion, grated carrot and courgette, besan flour, sweet chilli sauce, grated ginger, and chopped parsley. Mix well. Allow to stand in the fridge for at least one hour.

After an hour, stir the mixture again and add a little more flour if it seems too moist or a little water if it seems too dry (the moisture level will vary according to the size of your carrot and courgette). The mix should be thick enough to be shaped into burger patties.

Preheat your oven to 160'C (320'F) and heat a non-stick pan on the stove top, spraying with oil if needed. Shape the burger mix into patties of your desired size and cook on the stove top in batches for several minutes on each side, until just browned and slightly crispy. Once patties are cooked, transfer to a baking tray and place in the oven while the remaining patties are cooked.

After all patties have been cooked, allow them to continue crisping up in the oven for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.

Serve in a burger bun with salad, or as an addition to other sides of your choice.

Do you have a favourite homemade burger recipe?

31 comments:

  1. Oh these look delicious! Love the idea of almonds and chickpea flour. I don't make veggie burgers often either, mainly because kids don't eat them, but I may make these just for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There I was thinking burgers were a fail safe child-friendly food! Clearly I know nothing about child raising ;)

      Delete
    2. No no- I mean just my kids, who I think are abnormally fussy :)

      Delete
    3. I regret to say my sylvia woudln't eat these either - unless I have some very strong arguments and even then there is wailing and gnashing of teeth. I think a lot of early school age kids are really fussy and don't like to try new food - but I think sylvia is fussier than most. That is the problem with blogging and kids - though exposing them to different foods is not a bad thing!

      Delete
    4. I guess my Mum knew what she was doing when she set up a "you eat dinner as presented or make yourself a peanut butter sandwich or go hungry" system when we were children. The sandwich was never very appealing, so generally most of dinner was consumed!

      Delete
    5. Glad it's not just my kids, Johanna! I think they know know they can be fussy because there's always another dish around the corner, I make so much stuff! I try not to make food a battling ground but I do sometimes get disheartened when dinner is dismissed without even being tasted! You know Kari I think a peanut butter sandwich would be preferred by them half the time :)

      Delete
    6. kari I wish I could offer a peanut butter sandwich as an alternative to dinner (roll on allergy testing) - even though I say sylvia is fussy about mixed food she is good on fresh veg so it is harder to resent her eating this as an alternative to our dinner - perhaps I am also influenced because while we always ate dinner or nothing, my mum did make me separate dinners when eggs were involved because I just didn't like them at all.

      Though Sylvia says she hates pumpkin and I have sneaked it in to a meal once and she ate it fine so I suspect it is something she needs to get used to. We talk a lot about needing to taste food at least 10 times to get used to it. I guess educating young taste buds takes a lot of patience.

      Delete
  2. I feel like we need more home made burgers in my kitchen - I have good intentions but they haven't been featuring much - I keep meaning to buy hamburger buns and do burgers properly but I like tomato and bought one tomato yesterday because I miss them and it was so anaemic I despaired of a proper burger until summer. Sounds like you have perfect burger weather in the UK - I quite like the fry and bake option - though I also do a lot of grilling (though I don't think you have a grill, do you?)

    And what was Mr Bite's reaction upon hearing the ingredient list - did he promise to try harder with sweet potato and almonds now - ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your good intentions sound just like mine in this area! Burgers are probably a less appealing meal in winter than in summer though, especially with anaemic tomatoes around (there may be nothing worse than an anaemic tomato). As for grilling, I think I should have made more use of the grill on my old oven - I suspect I would have liked these grilled, but have rarely turned to that cooking method.

      Mr Bite expressed horror at the news and wished I hadn't told him!

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've ever bought a vegan burger from a shop! England is definitely lacking in that department. I prefer to make my own anyway so it doesn't really bother me, though it would be nice to be able to find some vegan burger buns with cleaner ingredients lists...
    The flavours in these sound delicious. I would never have thought to do ginger-chili burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you may have noticed my 'buns' are English muffins ;) Not necessarily super clean, but they seem to be a bit friendlier than the buns I've seen!

      Delete
  4. I don't have a favourite burger recipe as I always seem to forget to make them....maybe I should have a burger week, to catch up on a little lost time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a very good week to me :-)

      Delete
  5. Yum! These sound amazing. I bet they'd be a great way to sneak some more veggies into my toddler as well. I might need to be proactive and mix up a batch of these to freeze and have on hand for when the baby comes. I have mental pictures of these being a great thing to defrost and eat easily with one hand... and husband friendly to cook as well. Win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scenarios like that remind me how easy I have it with no children to look after :P I hope these can come in handy post-baby - I think they would definitely be husband safe for cooking!

      Delete
  6. Sweet potato and almonds! Mmm...interesting flavours! That seems to be a perfect vegan treat :)

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound delicious! Sweet chilli sauce and ginger are two of my favourite flavours. I don't make burgers usually, so I don't have my own recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet chilli sauce and ginger and in my favourites list too - they turn up in rather a lot of my dishes!

      Delete
  8. That is so awesome that these burgers met with Mr Bite's approval considering he's not a fan of almonds or sweet potato!! You must have felt such a sense of elation. Well done you!
    I never buy store bought burgers as I find them so easy and cheap to make at home. I love the fact that you can play around with different ingredients and flavourings. Indian-spiced burgers with home made mango chutney is one of my current faves. I'll be posting the recipe next month once I've had a chance to photograph them. I don't know about you, but I always struggle to take decent photos of burgers. I never seem to be able to do them justice :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely elated Sharon :-) I love the sound of your Indian-spiced burgers too - I look forward to the recipe!

      I think my photos speak to my own challenges in burger photography ;) They are tough to capture as the bun seems to shade the filling and my burgers tend to look messy in real life, so a good photo is extra hard.

      Delete
  9. These sound delicious. I love the addition of ginger and chilli - they go so well with sweet potato.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I love the combo of almonds and sweet potatoes, I have two sad look sweet potatoes looking at me as I type...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They just want to be burger-ised, I'm sure!

      Delete
  11. Oh the joy of making our own veggie burgers! :-) Glad your other half enjoyed them despite not liking the 'ingredients' lol, I can def relate to that with my other half too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a win when you get the ingredients past them!

      Delete
  12. We are on a burger kick too. I love the sound of the flavours in this one!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).