Thursday, July 10, 2014

Sun dried tomato and mushroom zucchini noodles

I think this is the last recipe hanging on from my Australian kitchen. I say think because sometimes I forget about posts until I find a set of photos and/or scribbled recipe notes, in blog draft format or somewhere less sensible. Probably, though, this is it.


This is the fourth zucchini noodle recipe that I've shared, and it is one of my favourites to date. It was directly based on The Raw Kitchen's "live zucchini pasta", which I raved about back in May. The restaurant version featured raw tomato sauce, mushrooms, kalamata olives, avocado, basil, nutritional yeast and black pepper. My adaptation used sherry vinegar and soy sauce instead of the tomato sauce, and dropped the olives and avocado in place of sundried tomatoes. 


The Raw Kitchen's live zucchini pasta

My presentation doesn't come close to that of The Raw Kitchen - not to mention my zucchini tower was not anywhere near as voluminous! - but I was happy with how the flavours of this worked out. It is not a direct replica of the restaurant version I enjoyed, but it is a delightful cousin.

I did lightly warm the ingredients, but this could easily be served cold if you prefer. If you like avocado (remember that I generally don't, unless it is in dessert form), that could obviously be added back in too. 




Sun dried tomato and mushroom zucchini noodles
An easy, delicious raw vegan dish for one

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts, inspired by the live zucchini pasta of The Raw Kitchen


Ingredients
1 large zucchini, spiralised
1 tbsp sherry vinegar (or red wine or balsamic if you don't have sherry vinegar)
1/2 tsp coconut aminos (for a raw version), soy sauce or tamari
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, sliced
1/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
Handful of fresh basil leaves, torn, or a decent sprinkling of dried basil
Cracked pepper, to serve

Method
In a non-stock pan, combine the spiralised zucchini, vinegar, soy sauce equivalent, sundried tomatoes and mushrooms. Stir over low heat until just warm. (Omit this step if you would prefer to serve the dish cold.)

When at your desired temperature, transfer the noodle mixture to a plate and top with the nutritional yeast, basil and black pepper. Stir through roughly with a fork.

Serve!

What noodle dishes (zucchini or regular) have you been enjoying lately?

18 comments:

  1. I have to get back in to my raw zucchini noodles, when I start eating them I'm always WOW why on earth did I ever eat regular pasta?! But then I go back to regular pasta, get sick of that, then go all wow again over the fresh, light raw stuff, then the cold weather comes back again etc etc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean :-) Variety is the trick, I think!

      Delete
  2. I think I like it cold - nice tip! A good snack recipe!

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! Snack, or a light meal that leaves room for dessert ;)

      Delete
  3. Fabulous dish! Light and healthy on top of being delicious! I love my spiralizer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a beautiful, healthy and colourful dish. I absolutely must buy myself a spiralizer - next thing on my list! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was about $30 online I think; it was a very worthwhile buy!

      Delete
  5. It is good to put your own twist (ha ha) on the dish. I love the last photo which makes it look impressively piled up - in the first photo it looked really flat - and hopefully the London weather is begging for some raw dishes liek this to enjoy in its summer glory :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today and yesterday London weather has probably been on par with Australian winter - maximums of about 16'C and rainy! However, tomorrow it is back to 24'C and sun so yes, fresh, light dishes have lots of opportunities :)

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to get a spiralizer so I can zucchini noodle along with the cool kids! :P These noodles sound fabuloso!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne! One of the many things I love about my spiralizer is that it's tiny, so takes up pretty much no kitchen space but delivers so much fun :)

      Delete
  7. I love this recipe! I keep meaning to try zucchini noodles and this recipe looks like the perfect way to start :) And by the way your zucchini noodle stack looks delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ceara :-) And yes, definitely do try out this way of preparing zucchini! It is really fun.

      Delete
  8. This looks like a delicious meal. I think the use of zucchini in place of pasta is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha yep I have scribbled notes everywhere with recipes on them waiting to be posted too! lol
    Your zoodles look delicious - love sundried tomatoes and mushrooms together :D

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).