Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Fig and lemon drop scones

I promise I won't make a habit of twice monthly drop scone recipes. However, I enjoyed this fig and lemon batch so much that I couldn't keep the post back for long. I also managed slightly neater scones this time around, giving support to the strategy of dropping batter into the pan off the end of your spoon.


I am not sure why dried figs were bought early in my kitchen stocking efforts. I rarely bought them in Australia and I didn't have any clear plans for their use. Given I also bought the fig balsamic featured in my last post, I must have had some latent fig cravings that needed sating! Fortunately, the dried figs proved a perfect match for the lemon in this recipe. The sweet fig pieces turned gooey when cooked, providing little bursts of caramel-like flavour throughout each scone (or pikelet as part of me still calls them).



As I used dried figs, this is a recipe for any time of year. Fresh blueberries would be a nice accompaniment if you can get them, but if not, any fresh fruit would work - or you could skip the fruit and enjoy these plain or topped with nut butter or jam. I think you'll find they disappear quite fast whatever you top them with.


Fig and lemon drop scones
A delicious afternoon tea or anytime treat
Makes approximately 16 small drop scones
Vegan

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
1 tbsp chia seeds soaked in 1/2 cup water for at least 15 minutes
1 cup spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp coconut sugar
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup almond milk
6 dried figs, roughly chopped
Juice and zest of half a medium lemon

Oil, if needed, for cooking

Method
When the chia seeds have soaked, combine the spelt flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the chia seeds in water and almond milk and stir well to combine. Add in the chopped figs, lemon juice and lemon zest and stir to incorporate.

Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and spray with oil if desired. Use a large spoon to drop the mixture into the pan, aiming to pour the mixture off the end of the spoon. Cook in batches of 3 to 4, for approximately 3 minutes on each side until golden brown.

Serve with blueberries or other fruit or toppings as desired.

Do you use figs in cooking or for snacking?

14 comments:

  1. HI Kari! I just returned from Korea and am catching up on all your wonderful recipes and posts I missed. You certainly have been busy in the kitchen as well as exploring your new town ;). I must say it's been awhile since I had fresh or dried figs. I did buy this fig spread from Trader Joe's that I've been spreading on my toast every morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, fig spread sounds intriguing! I have never come across that!

      Delete
  2. Another intriguing drop scone recipe - I like the idea of pairing chia seeds and figs - make lots of seedy sense. I think I would enjoy them but dried figs is something I get a mental block on using and then when I do use them I love them. Don't ask why, just make me more figgy treats :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand completely, given my swing from never buying figs to being on an inexplicable fig kick :-) They are a puzzling fruit it would seem. I'll do my best to keep delivering ideas!

      Delete
  3. Well...I love figs so these look good to me. I think your drop scones with the blueberries look very pretty. These would be a great mid-morning snack xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie. Mid-morning, mid-afternoon, evening...and any other time ;)

      Delete
  4. I always crave figs so I totally understand the compulsion! These scones look so tasty! Love the lemon fig flavor combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on board with the fig craving thing now. I need to make up for my years of not buying them!

      Delete
  5. Nice! Whenever I buy dried figs I have some kind of plan but forget about them in the back of the pantry.I'll print your recipe out and stick it to the packet of figs and move them front and centre :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love scones for my afternoon tea. These will make a good partner :)

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE dried figs so will def give these a try :-)
    Must admit I've never used them in pancakes before though. I usually have them in overnight soaked oats with orange juice! I love them with citrus so that is why I'm busting to try this :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just tried some figs in soaked oats today! I like that approach too now :)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).