Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Chocolate zucchini breakfast pudding

It seems that this week I am all about chocolate. I hope you don't mind too much. This chocolate zucchini breakfast pudding would make a good prelude to the chocolate cake of my last post, but it would also make a good prelude to just about anything at all. Basically, it delivers slow release carbohydrates and a serve of vegetables in the form of warm fudgy chocolate. I like it rather a lot.


Prior to yesterday, I actually didn't have a Breakfast section on my Recipes page. I had quite a few breakfast-y recipes, but they were easily integrated into my Baking section or the leftover 'Other' category. Of late, though, I have had more time to devote to breakfast, a nice consequence of not yet starting work in the UK. Creations from my new NutriBullet have featured prominently in the mornings, but there have been other types of breakfast too. Suddenly, it seemed that my Recipes page really ought to have a Breakfast component. I am pleased to announce it with this recipe!



It would have been accurate to call this dish chocolate zucchini porridge (or oatmeal to Americans). Really, that is what it is. However, the dish has a decadence that goes beyond standard porridge, and it is very much like a pudding to eat. For those of us who aren't able to commit to breakfast in advance, it also has the benefit of no advance preparation time. You can get up and make this within 10 minutes. I have made it several times now, and it has been equally enjoyable on each occasion. I hope you enjoy it too!


Chocolate zucchini breakfast pudding
If you need justification for starting your day with chocolate...this is it.
Vegan
Serves one

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup grated zucchini (courgette) - equivalent to approximately half of a small zucchini
1/3 cup almond milk or other milk of choice
1/3 cup water (or more milk)
1 heaped tbsp cocoa
3 to 4 dates, finely chopped
1 tsp vanilla (optional)

Berries or other fruit, to top

Method
Combine the oats, zucchini, milk, water and cocoa in a saucepan. Cook uncovered over medium-high heat until just starting to boil, approximately 3 minutes. 

Reduce heat to low, add the dates and vanilla, and allow the porridge to simmer uncovered for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, stirring regularly.

Top with fruit and enjoy.


Do you have a favourite porridge recipe?

18 comments:

  1. This will be nice for breakfast that is filling and keeps one awake by the chocolate kick :). Good idea including zucchini. I'll top mine with strawberries and peaches :)

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, strawberries and peaches sound fabulous. Great idea!

      Delete
  2. How could I ever mind more chocolate?! Especially for breakfast. YES.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an interesting idea for breakfast! definitely something i will be trying. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, yes!
    I collect zucchini recipes, as I always grow WAY too many and there is only so many savoury recipes I can use them in before I get bored. Now that you've told me I can have zucchini for breakfast? You are my hero :D
    Happy to see the Breakfast section on the recipes page, I can't wait to see what else you make :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was one of those people who grew zucchini and had too many :P I'm glad to help with using your batch up at least!

      Delete
  5. Yay for chocolate - though I have never been so keen on it for breakfast. I was more tempted by your 'pudding' when I realised it was actually porridge. Just shows how much I have been influenced by all the terrible cold puddings we had as children (compared to my mum's brilliant warm baked one). I would love to try this but I think I would be alone in my family in trying it, which makes it less likely as E has porridge master hat in our house! (though occasionally I have tried something different in the porridge, including chocolate)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There I was trying to dress up porridge - but being married to a Scott, I should have known straight porridge would hold more appeal to you :-) It does sound like it would be hard to get this past your family, as I suspect Sylvia wouldn't like the zucchini and E not the chocolate. If you ever get to yield the porridge spoon, you can tuck it away as a possibility!

      Delete
  6. Huhhhh I haven't thought of adding dates to oats to sweeten it! (or porridge :P) This definitely takes the award for most decadent but still healthy breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie! I love dates so much I like to put them in anything I can ;)

      Delete
  7. This looks fabulous! You can never have too much chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hehe i regularly have chocolate oats for breakfast with dates too! it really is such a wonderful combination! I love it with strawberries, makes it feel like chocolate coated strawberries for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love starting the day with chocolate. And once again - if my kids like this one, I will be forever grateful to you :)
    I'm going to head over and look at your new section for breakfast, always after ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope they like at least one of them!!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).