Sunday, June 29, 2014

Spiced pancakes with tomato and basil beans

I shared my first UK snack recipe last week, and today I am pleased to share my first main meal recipe. (It is typical, of course, that the dishes came in that order.) These spiced pancakes with tomato and basil beans are perfect for summer or winter, and make the most of fresh, vibrant ingredients.


I used a pre-made curry powder mix in the pancake batter, but you could mix and match spices to suit your tastes or what you have on hand. A combination of cumin, turmeric, coriander and/or black pepper would do the job nicely. For the bean mix, fresh basil would be best, but obviously dried could be substituted if necessary. Similarly, fresh tomatoes would be ideal if they are in season, but the tinned equivalent provides an easy stand in for when they aren't.


You could easily make a double batch of the bean mix, to use the leftovers in other dishes (such as a filling for baked potatoes or sweet potatoes, or on top of pasta) or for freezing. The pancakes, of course, need to be made and eaten fresh, but they are quick to prepare and cook.


Spiced pancakes with tomato and basil beans
An easy, vibrant meal for 2
Vegan and low in fat

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
For the bean mix -
Drizzle of oil, for cooking
1 onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 red or yellow pepper, roughly chopped
1 large carrot, grated
1 cup cooked beans of choice (I used adzuki)
1 cup crushed or roughly chopped tomatoes, either from fresh tomatoes or using a tinned mix
1 small bunch fresh basil leaves, roughly torn or chopped

For the pancakes -
1/2 cup plain flour (I used regular wheat flour, but gluten free types could be substituted if required)
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp water
1 heaped tsp curry powder, or 1/2 tsp each of turmeric and cumin plus a pinch of salt and a few cracks of pepper

Parsley, chopped, to garnish

Method
For the beans, heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan and saute the onion and garlic until golden. Add the pepper, carrot, beans and tomatoes and reduce heat to medium-low. Allow to simmer uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, while you prepare the pancakes. (You will add the basil at the end.)

For the pancakes, combine the flour, water and spice in a mixing bowl and whisk well to combine. Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and spray with oil if required. Ladel one-quarter of the pancake batter into the pan, and tilt the pan to distribute evenly. Allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbles start to form on the surface. Flip, cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes, and then repeat for the remaining batter. 

You may want to keep the prepared pancakes warm in a low oven.

When the pancakes are nearly cooked, add the basil to the tomato-bean mix and stir through. When ready, top pancakes with the tomato-bean mix and garnish with chopped parsley.


What have you been eating this weekend?

24 comments:

  1. Those look delicious! Love the spices in the pancakes, so flavorful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of those pancakes! I'm quite a fan of savoury pancakes as crepes. The tomato and basil beans look lovely and comforting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely and comforting was indeed the experience :-) I think I will be embracing savoury pancakes more and more as my last few similar dishes have all been winners!

      Delete
  3. These look great! I don't think i've ever eaten savoury pancakes before...must give them a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do! They are a really easy way to adapt other dishes to a different format.

      Delete
  4. We had pancakes as well, wholemeal spelt ones are our family favourite round these parts...weekends aren't the same without them I don't think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your first meal! Looks a tasty, healthy one! A great immune system booster to start the day!

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a perfect Sunday night dinner to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday night, or any night ;) Thank you!

      Delete
  7. This is a very pretty and colourful dish and I like how there's many options for making it work. This would be a perfect mid-week meal xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - I am all for dishes with variations to make them work for any occasion :)

      Delete
  8. This looks fantastic! I bet it tasted the part too ;) I have yet to try and make curry spiced pancakes, but I totally get the idea of it. Sometimes you're wanting something pancake-like, yet savoury, these seem to fit the bill! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Sometimes pancakes for all times of day are what is needed ;)

      Delete
  9. Savory pancakes!! How fun! You totally went BIG for your first meal...this sounds delicious! UK cooking looks good on you. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just saw I had forgotten to comment here - sounds lovely - but I really love hearing about the settling in - did you eat it balanced on the knee on the floor or take it in turns to sit on the barstool - I remember coming home from scotland to live in melbourne and using some directors chairs I got for my 21st before we bought our table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your attention to the eating location - happily, since we got a sofa, we are able to eat dinner there - although we don't have a TV at this stage, so it is either conversation with plates balanced on cushions, or watching BBC iplayer through my laptop, which we position on the vaccum cleaner box that has been oh-so-useful ;) Lunches still tend to take turns on that solo barstool!

      Delete
  11. These look wonderful! What a great meal!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know if anyone else has said, but Ocado are probably the best food delivery service for vegan/dairy free foodstuffs, their range is amazing. Welcome to the UK xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Fran - funnily enough. Ocado were who I got my first (huge!) delivery with! I was really happy with them and loved the range of vegan foods they offer. It's good to know others like them too :)

      Delete
  13. Yum! What a fantastic idea! To be honest I've never had pancakes as a savoury version but I'm definitely going to try now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really open up a wealth of meal options! And they're really quick and easy to make too :)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).