Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Wave Rock, Western Australia


Wave Rock, Hyden, Western Australia

The last four days have reminded me that Australia is a really, really big country. Logically, of course, I knew this already - but there is nothing like driving the open expanses to bring the fact home.


We covered over 17,00km in roughly 18 hours of driving, and still covered just a small corner of Western Australia. When looking at Australia as a whole, that small corner becomes an even smaller component.



The trip was useful for more than just lessons on scale. It was, in fact, a wonderful four days. We have been really fortunate with travel in the last few years, and in may ways this trip felt like the final piece of a jigsaw puzzle. By that I mean that it took us to (relatively) local sights that we wanted to see before departing for England. Having driven the Australian outback, breathed its dust, and taken in its history, I feel content in moving overseas for the foreseeable future.

Salmon gum trees

We left Perth last Friday afternoon, setting out to cover the four hour drive east to Hyden. Hyden is a tiny place but it is the home of Wave Rock, a granite wave that is 110m long and 14m high. It's not the most dramatic of rock formations, but it is impressive nonetheless.



The rock is a granite "inselberg", which is a fancy term for a rock hill or other formation that rises from a generally flat plain. It formed by erosion being faster for softer rock beneath the upper edge, relative to the top and bottom sections.

On Friday, we arrived too late to visit the rock itself and instead checked straight into our accommodation. Hyden being a town of under 200 people (really!), there aren't many accommodation options to choose from. There is a motel along the main road, and then near Wave Rock itself is a caravan park with a handful of cabins, and a "resort" with self-catering cottages. We opted for the caravan park cabins, and found them to be just right for a one night stay.

Cabin kitchen

Food options in Hyden are equally limited, and you really want to self-cater if you can manage to do so. We arrived prepared and made a basic pasta dish with many vegetables, a tomato-based sauce and, for Mr Bite, tuna. It's one of our standard holiday meals and has transportable ingredients that are easy to prepare.


In the morning, we walked along Wave Rock and up onto the top of the larger Hyden Rock formation. In contrast to the dramatic rock below, the top plateau is flat, hot and showcases the dry empty plains below. It is tough country.


There is a well set out walk around the upper surface, complete with information posts and signs. The only downside is that the end of the walk is not very well marked and, we thought, left us to descend a very steep rock slope or retrace our steps all the way back to the start! We weren't keen to do that, so ended our walk rather inelegantly and with a few moments of sliding on bottoms. It turns out there was a more gradual slope we should have used, but fortunately our method didn't result in injury and did add a burst of adrenalin to the morning.

The slope we descended precariously at the end...

From Wave Rock we drove on another four hours to Esperance - quite a different landscape with stunning beaches and coastal scenes. That, however, shall come in another post!

Hellfire Bay, Esperance

Have you had driving holidays that highlight how large your country or state really is?

25 comments:

  1. Wow that is pretty beautiful!! I love that I get to live vicariously through your pre-move traveling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you are so organised you can leave the country having seen what you want to - when I arrived home from travels overseas I had so many places to see and still have many left to go but I have never been that organised with travel. However it also occurs to me you must have a huge list of places to see when in the UK. Would love to see Wave Rock and if I ever go there I hope to remember checking about the end of the walk. Love the photos. I think the train from melb to perth was the trip that really made me aware how big Australia is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there is a lot I haven't seen! These places were relatively close though so it seemed possible to squeeze them in. As you say, we also have a massive list of places to see in England and Europe :)

      Delete
  3. That last pictures is absolutely stunning! How lucky you were to go there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your questions make me giggle so much sometimes.

    I really hope to explore more of Australia when I get back. It's time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And if you venture over this way, you may even get warm :)

      Delete
  5. That wave rock is pretty amazing! As for your question, as I live in England everything is relatively close. Sometimes I forget that its unusual to be able to get from one end of the country to the other in the same day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to that :) In fact, when driving in this last trip, we made the comment that we could have gone from Plymouth to Edinburgh and back in the same time!

      Delete
  6. I see you're making the most of our 'sun-burnt' country b4 heading o/s for a bit!
    It truly is so big and beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you have some truly stunning scenery in your corner of Australia! I really hope I get to see it for myself one day. My niece sets off next month for a year-long trip to Australia. I'm so excited for her! She has family in Perth so I imagine she'll be heading there again after Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very exciting for your niece! What a great opportunity to travel for a year. I hope she has a lovely time - and that you can come visit yourself one day too.

      Delete
  8. Great photos! Wave rock and the beach would be great to see in person! Driving trips certainly make me realize that Texas is big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, your state is on a giant size too (although I haven't been there)! Wave rock really was wonderful to finally see - I learnt about it in primary school which is now a long time ago!

      Delete
  9. What gorgeous images!
    I have always wanted to go to Esperance and Wave rock has been on hubbies list forever! We drove to the tip of Cape York and I was shocked at how far on it was from Cooktown even! HUGE distances in Oz :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just! Cape York is an amazing place to have got to though. I hope you can fulfill your husband's dream of coming this way before long too :)

      Delete
  10. What fabulous scenery!! I really haven't seen enough of WA yet - have only been to Perth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a start at least ;) Hopefully you can do some more exploring in time!

      Delete
  11. Hellfire Bay looks amazing - the water is a stunning colour. I've always wanted to see Wave Rock - amazing. Hard to believe it's near a town of only 200. It looks like the cabin was adequate but after a long drive I'd be hoping for a good dining experience in a restaurant - it just goes to show just how remote some of these places are. Great that you're getting to see so many special places before you leave Oz and head to the UK xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A restaurant would have been rather nice, yes. I'm just glad we were warned about the lack of dining options before we got there - it wouldn't have been fun making do with the food choices on offer!

      Delete
  12. Whoa! What an amazing picture of the wave rock! Can't even imagine driving for 18+ hours. I know what you mean though. Texas is a huge state and when we take a road trip to other states, someone almost always asks, "are we out of Texas, yet?" I've never stayed at a caravan park cabin, but thank goodness for that kitchen, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Min! Definitely thank goodness ;) Texas would be a bit like Western Australia I imagine, with the vast distances and also some sections which are pretty flat and hot.

      Delete

  13. Unique and wonderful. Thanks to the curious readers who sent you the pics and thanks for the explanation!
    western scale

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).