Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Grilled nectarine and pumpkin salad

I think I have discovered the secret to salad beauty: Char marks.


Like many of the dishes I make, this grilled nectarine and pumpkin salad has a simple ingredient list. However, by grilling the nectarine and pumpkin pieces, it is lifted from basic to (if I may say so myself) beautiful.

As summer winds down in Australia, I vote for farewelling it with this salad. For those of you in the northern hemisphere? You may want to welcome spring in with this dish, just as soon as nectarines reach your stores.


Grilling provides more benefits here than just appearance. It also cooks the pumpkin in such a way that the middle is tender and the outside slightly crisp. It softens the nectarine pieces just enough to release their juices and bring out all the sweetness of their flavour. In other words, it is a winning cooking method.

Complementing the pumpkin and nectarine, this salad features a scattering of grilled carrot pieces, and walnuts for protein and texture contrast. It is a dish where you want to get a bit of everything in your mouth at once...and then take another mouthful without delay.

I made this using a Scanpan grill plate that is placed on top of the stove top. I love it because you don't need to turn on the oven and can monitor cooking progress easily. As mine isn't very large, though, I did need to cook my pumpkin in a few batches. If you have a barbecue grill then I imagine that would work very well, but an oven grill should also suffice if needed.



Grilled nectarine and pumpkin salad
This dish showcases simple ingredients beautifully, and tastes like summer at its best.
Serves approximately 3 as a light main, or approximately 6 as a side dish.
Vegan and gluten free.

Requires a grill plate, barbecue grill or oven grill.

Author: Bite-sized thoughts.


Ingredients
1 large butternut pumpkin (or any pumpkin), peeled, cored and sliced into thin pieces (if the pieces are too thick it will take longer to grill)
1 medium carrot, sliced into thin pieces
4 medium nectarines, cut into eighths
1 bunch curly lettuce of choice, or equivalent spinach leaves
1/3 - 1/2 cup walnut pieces
2 - 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Approximately 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste

Oil spray, for cooking

Method
Heat a grill pan, barbecue grill or oven grill to medium-high heat. Spray lightly with oil.

Place the pumpkin and carrot pieces (or first batch of pieces, depending on grill size) on the grill and drizzle over apple cider vinegar and a pinch of salt. If you are cooking half of the pumpkin/carrot pieces, use 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar and approximately 1/8 tsp salt; if you are cooking more or less of the batch at once, adjust vinegar and salt accordingly.

Cook the pumpkin and carrot pieces for approximately 5 minutes on each side. They will be cooked when visibly char grilled and when a fork can pierce each piece easily. Set cooked pieces aside on a plate and repeat the grilling process with the remaining pumpkin / carrot until all pieces are grilled.

While the pumpkin and carrot are cooking, wash and shred your lettuce and set aside in a large salad bowl. 

After cooking the pumpkin and carrot, grill the nectarine slices for approximately 2 minutes, until just soft (grill marks will only be visible if the inside of the fruit is placed face down). The pieces should retain their shape.

Add the grilled pumpkin, carrot and nectarine pieces to the lettuce, along with the walnuts. Stir through to combine and serve.

This will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days, but is best served on the day of making.


I didn't think this needed any additional dressing, but if you do, a simple balsamic vinegar mix should do the trick.

Submitted to Ricki's Wellness Weekend and Healthy Vegan Friday.

Are you a fan of grilling? What about fruit in salads?

17 comments:

  1. I love the grill marks - makes me think that you should have called it Tiger Salad. Love all the combination of these ingredients. I would love to do this sort of grilling and I do have a grill pan but it is tucked away in a corner that is hard to reach so I forget it or just don't have the energy to dig it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pan often gets tucked away too - it lives side on in my saucepan cupboard and I am inclined to forget about it! It's also a bit tricky to clean, which can put me off, but it's always worthwhile when I do use it.

      Delete
  2. Yum! Just a tad jealous that you have peaches with you! I adore them. I made a grilled peach and courgette salad last summer which I loved http://www.coconutandberries.com/2013/08/19/grilled-peach-courgette-walnut-salad/. It makes all the difference to the flavour grilling it doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely does! Your grilled peach and courgette salad looks lovely and will be a good way for me to use up courgettes next time I have a glut (there is always a next time for that). I'm going to have a good year for summer fruit this year going from Australian summer / autumn into UK spring / summer, so I may have more than my fair of stone fruit coming ;)

      Delete
  3. I agree with Johanna, 'Tiger Salad' is the perfect name for this dish! Those grill marks look so stylish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! Tiger Salad is definitely an accurate description.

      Delete
  4. You know, I think you are absolutely right, this salad is gorgeous! I love the flavours too! If I didn't struggle combining fruit with foods as much as I do, I would totally add fruit to my dishes more often (because I obviously still do sometimes because it's oh so good!).

    I cannot wait till it's "grill weather" here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need to rein myself back from putting fruit into the majority of my savoury dishes. It is just so delicious! I agree it's not ideal *all* of the time though...but it makes those dishes that do have it all the more enjoyable.

      Not too long until your weather warms up, surely!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful looking salad! You are so right, the char marks are gorgeous, I am sure the flavour would be too! I love all the ingredients, I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Gourmet Getaways - I hope you do enjoy it when you get to it :)

      Delete
  6. This is beautiful! I love the pumpkin-nectarine combo. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post, thanks for sharing this post..

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).