Saturday, March 1, 2014

In my kitchen - March 2014

I am linking this post in to Celia's monthly In My Kitchen event at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.

It's March! The start of Australian autumn (we have a lazy approach to season changes, marking them as the first of the month) and, I hope, the start of cooler weather. The cool change is yet to happen, but I have high hopes for its impending arrival.

Kale, blueberries (defrosted from frozen), sweet potato

While I'm waiting on the weather to change, summer still features in my kitchen. My love affair with sweet potato continues, and it is featuring more often than not in my salads and smoothies


Sweet potato green smoothie

My kitchen has non-sweet potato smoothies too. In fact, I am a little bit smoothie obsessed. Whilst I almost always throw green vegetables into my creations, sometimes it's hard to tell in the final product. The smoothie below had almond milk, frozen banana, broccoli, almond essence, cacao powder and coffee powder. The end result looked like a chocolate milkshake, and tasted just as good.


A more recent kitchen addition is black tahini. After trying it in ice cream form last month, I have progressed to buying it as a spread. 


I like it, but am amazed at how different it is to regular tahini. Oddly, it also reminds me a little of the flavours of poached egg. This is taking some getting used to. The vivid black colour also takes some getting used to, because it looks like Vegemite but tastes very (very!) different.


An exciting kitchen presence is this soy condensed milk. I never really liked or used regular condensed milk, but since turning vegan a few condensed milk recipes have caught my eye. I'm looking forward to sharing what I get up to with this.


Last but not least, in my kitchen there continues to be photography. Between my photo a day challenge (stay tuned for the February collage post), photographing test recipes for Ricki Heller's upcoming cookbook, and normal photograph captures, I took over 700 shots in February! 

What is your kitchen featuring this month?

27 comments:

  1. Hi Kari! I love visiting kitchens. I wonder if that black tahini paste is the same as a mysterious jar of black seed paste I bought last month in the all things from everywhere supermarket? It doesn't say what it is and I haven't opened it yet. I love the bright colours of your kale and sweet potato salad, it looks zingingly good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanna! My black tahini is fairly runny and does have enough similarities with regular tahini that you can just about tell they're related...so perhaps you could investigate? It certainly sounds like a possibility!

      Delete
  2. We've been having more smoothies again this week but not so experimental as yours - though I am surprised sylvia is into passionfruit in smoothies (and pleased). I almost bought black tahini the other day but wasn't sure about how to use it so hope to see it featuring more here. And I will be interested to see you using the soy condensed milk - I bought it once and enjoyed it but it had so many ingredients that I haven't bought it again since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Passionfruit in smoothies sounds adventurous to me! I think I'd be put off my the seeds, but imagine the flavour would be great. And your comment may motivate me to put the black tahini to more use than a spread on English muffins ;)

      Delete
  3. Kari, black tahini tastes a bit like egg? I was all set to buy some when I saw your pic, until I read that.. ;-) Your salad looks fantastic, how interesting that you added blueberries to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The egg connotations may be entirely idiosyncratic Celia! In fact, I'd say that's very likely indeed :P

      Delete
  4. Your photos are great! I am still taking quick snapshots and hoping no one is offended by the bad quality of my blog pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we all waited for perfect photos, no one would ever photograph anything! Personally, I'm always grateful that other people are still learning photography along side me :)

      Delete
  5. I've tried black tahini before and loved it! But there's not much I don't love in the sesame department. Can't wait to see all your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on all your photography. I'll look forward to seeing what you do with the soy condensed milk. I always loved condensed milk and used to spoon it out of the tins that were opened in the fridge. Couldn't get enough of it. Your smoothies are a lot more exotic and interesting than mine! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a friend who was just the same with condensed milk - we'd stop at the shops for lollies or chocolate, and she would buy one of the condensed milk tubes as her treat! I have to confess that I didn't understand it, but evidently there are a few of you with similar tastes ;)

      Delete
  7. You have some fun things in your kitchen. You are braver than me with black tahini.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think easing in with black sesame ice cream is the way to go ;)

      Delete
  8. I bought that soy condensed milk once and was so determined to save it for something special that it expired before I used it. Don't make my mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to remember you warning me of a similarly sad tale with your vegan marshmallow mix! Dear Hannah, you need to stop this behaviour!

      Delete
  9. I love that you put broccoli in that shake! I went to a vegan supermarket in the city on Friday night. Bought myself some marshmallows, jelly lollies and some vegetable steamed buns :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't realise that you could get the black sesame as tahini. I am going to have to track it down. I made a pesto with black sesame the other night. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black sesame pesto does indeed sound awesome! How wonderful :)

      Delete
  11. I like sweet potato but I haven't tried them in a smoothie. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works really well Tina! I highly recommend it :)

      Delete
  12. I love the look of the kale, sweet potato ad blueberries! Haven't tried sweet potato in a smoothie before, sounds intriguing... I saw a recipe for a vegan brownie with sweet potato in it which is like to try. The black tahini looks gorgeous, will have to find some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sweet potato brownies on my to try list too :D

      Delete
  13. G'day Kari! Black Tahini FASCINATES me!
    HOW exciting test recipes for a cookbook...well done...I would LOVE to do!
    Thank you for this month's kitchen view!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black tahini is quite a product Joanne! Thanks for stopping be :)

      Delete
  14. I must find black tahini! Great little peek into your kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).