Saturday, March 29, 2014

Carrot and apple soaked oats

I think I've mentioned before that I don't often make overnight oats. This doesn't reflect a lack of interest in oats. Rather, it stems from a reluctance to commit to breakfast the night before, mixed with a need for easily portable breakfast foods due to my tendency to eat breakfast at work.

Overday oats, though, I am a fan of. Most often, I turn to them when I need a substantial mid-afternoon snack. Sometimes, I'll even enjoy them for lunch. These carrot and apple oats would work perfectly in either category. If you are a fan of overnight oats for breakfast, they could obviously fit in there too.


I know carrot-based oat dishes aren't new, and this recipe is simply my spin on a concept that has been blogged before. The truth is, I am on a bit of a carrot kick at the moment. Carrot cake flavours have taken over my imagination, and I suspect I'll be sharing more carrot containing snacks before long.

I topped these oats with diced apple rather than mixing apple pieces (or grated apple) through the oats themselves. I imagine a mixed up version would be equally enjoyable, and I might try that next time myself. If you like your oats with sweetener, then you could also add a little maple syrup or other sweetener to taste. The carrot, currants and apple do a good job of sweetening this naturally though.


Carrot and apple soaked oats
This dish can be prepared in the evening to give a delicious breakfast, or made in the morning to give a substantial afternoon snack (or an easy lunch!)
Vegan and low fat
Serves one

Author: Bite-sized thoughts, with acknowledgement to the many similar recipes out there


Ingredients
1/3 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup non-dairy milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond)
1 small-medium carrot, grated
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon or mixed spice
1 tbsp currants or sultanas
1 small apple, diced

Method
Combine the oats, milk, carrot, vanilla, cinnamon/spice, and currants/sultanas. Mix to combine. Set in a jar or bowl and top with the diced apple. Allow to sit for at least 4 hours, until the oats are creamy.

Serve!


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Are you an oats for breakfast person? And do you enjoy carrot-containing oat mixes?

14 comments:

  1. I'm like you Kari! I almost never want to commit to a breakfast the day before! I will occasionally do the overnight oats or soak grains/chia for pancakes/porridge but more often than no, breakfast is an in-the-moment decision. I love the sound of this idea for snacks though and the addition of the carrots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrots go well with so many things :-) And here is to spontaneous breakfast decisions!

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't have thought of adding carrots to oats, but it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum this looks like my kind of breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like the idea of overnight oats because I am not that organised but also because I have never tried overnight oats - it just sounds soggy to me and too milky but I like that you do overday oats and I think the carrot and apple flavour is very appealing - perhap I should try that with my porridge some time now that apples are coming back into season - hurrah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrots in cooked porridge would be lovely too I think. You might be reassured, though, by soaked oats getting less milky with time rather than more - that is one of the reasons I like them I think :-) The milk gets absorbed so the consistency becomes thick but not soggy (at least if you get the milk ratio right and leave them to soak long enough!).

      Delete
  5. This does look like a wonderful breakfast. I love bircher muesli and how it's made overnight and I actually prefer it when oats have time to swell up and soak xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just talking with my husband about trying oats for breakfast vs my typical greek yogurt and granola. I might actually try this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What timing! I hope you liked these if you did try them out.

      Delete
  7. I've never been an 'oaty' person but maybe it was because I couldn't commit either. This jar of oats sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen :) I bet it would be great topped with some of your granola at the end too...

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).