Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Sweet and sour tofu with kale

This sweet and sour recipe is not a traditional sweet and sour recipe. The type you can buy from your local Chinese take-away is likely to use rice wine vinegar for the sour component, brown sugar for the sweet component, and cornflour as a thickener. Most recipes online call for tomato sauce (ketchup) too. 


In contrast, this dish uses pineapple for the sour and sweet components and delivers a subtle spice kick thanks to (you guessed it!) sriracha. It also uses a whole bunch of kale. I liked it a lot. 


If you're like me, you will have all the ingredients for this as pantry (or fridge) staples. In an ideal world you would press your tofu ahead of time, but if you walk in the door at 6.30pm this could be on the table 30 minutes later. Served with quinoa or rice, it is a perfect mid-week meal. It is so good, though, that you might want to whip a bowl up on the weekend too.


Sweet and sour tofu with kale
Serves 3 if served with a grain base
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1/3 cup natural pineapple juice
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sriracha or other chilli sauce, or to taste
350g block firm tofu, pressed and sliced or cut into squares
1 small onion, chopped
1 large carrot, finely sliced
1 small bunch curly kale, roughly torn or chopped
1/3 cup canned pineapple pieces

Oil, for sauteing

Quinoa, rice or noodles, to serve

Method
In a measuring cup or jug, whisk together the pineapple juice, soy sauce and sriracha and set aside until needed.

Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and drizzle with oil. Add the tofu and allow to cook for several minutes on each side, until starting to crisp up and turn golden.

Add the onion and approximately one-third of the sauce mix to the pan. Allow to cook, uncovered, for another 5 to 8 minutes until the onion is soft and the tofu starting to brown. Add the carrot and another one-third of the sauce and cook for a further 5 or so minutes.

Add the kale, pineapple pieces and remaining sauce to the pan and reduce heat to low-medium. Allow to cook for 10 minutes or until the kale has cooked down, stirring occasionally.

Serve with quinoa, rice or noodles.


I'm linking this in to Catherine's Anyone Can Cook Vegetarian Food challenge for March - non-terrifying tofu; and to Ricki's Wellness Weekend.


Do you like sweet and sour dishes? I go through stages with them - sometimes they seem just right, other times not at all what I want!

22 comments:

  1. I love sweet and sour dishes! And substituting pineapple for both the vinegar and sugar is brilliant! Can't wait to try. And you know how I feel about sriracha ;). Drool…I don't press my tofu ahead of time either but turns out just fine hehe. Hope you are having a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to think pressing tofu was essential - but you're right, it is delicious even without that step! And I hope your week is going well too :)

      Delete
  2. I need to start cooking with tofu more, as I really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My problem is not putting it in everything ;)

      Delete
  3. I have seen sweet and sour recipes where pineapple is used though now I am unsure if it is for sweet or sour flavours. I love the sound of this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm used to pineapple pieces being in the dishes but am also not sure how others use the juice. Glad this appeals though!

      Delete
  4. This is my year where I become more adventurous with tofu. I think I'm going to need your help..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Feel free to ask if you get stuck :D

      Delete
  5. It looks gorgeous Kari and I do love sweet and sour (when it's well done!) It's interesting how to make the sweet and sour you use both fresh and canned pineapple - great idea! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done is the catch isn't it?! I guess that's true for most things though :)

      Delete
  6. Ooh, this looks gorgeous! Could I entice you to post it to my tofu challenge (which is looking a little bit sad at present)?

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done! I actually had your tofu challenge book marked and was trying to think of something particularly special for it, but given it's nearly the end of the month and this does feature tofu...I'll go with this dish instead :) Thanks for prompting me to do so.

      Delete
  7. Sweet and sour is my fave dinner combination. I need just a hint of sweet. It's neat that you use the pineapple for both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen :) In this context, I like just a hint of sweet too.

      Delete
  8. I choose your ingredients over the "traditional" ones!! I'm always in need of more pineapple in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - never enough of that particular fruit!

      Delete
  9. Awesome! I love how simple and delicious this is! I'm totally pinning that for my next take-out craving :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the look of it - and hope you enjoy it if you do turn to it next time a craving hits!

      Delete
  10. I adore sweet and sour, and this looks so bright and colourful and appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made this the other day and loved it! Great with the pineapple juice! Thanks for providing our meals lately :)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).