Friday, March 21, 2014

Peach and hemp snack balls

I have had these snack balls in mind for a while now. In fact, I bought the dried peaches over a month ago. Somehow, it has taken until now to make them - a slightly ridiculous time frame given they take about 5 minutes to prepare.


I am glad I did eventually get to these, because they delivered exactly what I was hoping for. The peach provides the dominant flavour, but hemp seeds and puffed cereal mellow out the sweetness and give texture contrast too. These are a little lighter to eat than traditional fruit and nut balls, but are just as satisfying.

Hemp seeds can still be hard to find in Australia, given that it isn't legal to sell them for edible use. It is legal to sell them for edible use in America and the UK, and hemp seeds are not going to induce an altered cognitive state (this Australian news article does a nice job of summarising the nutritional and cultural characteristics of hemp seeds). To get around this, most Australian health food stores stock hemp seeds with a label explaining their possible uses in body butter or body scrubs. If you choose to use them in another way, well, that isn't the responsibility of the store.


If you do have trouble finding hemp seeds, sunflower seeds could work in these balls instead. Otherwise, they would also be enjoyable made with almonds or cashews.

Peach and hemp snack balls
An easy nut-free snack that delivers just the right amount of sweetness
Makes 14 medium-large snack balls
Vegan

Food processor required


Ingredients
I cup loosely packed dried peaches (130-140g)
1 cup natural puffed cereal of choice (e.g., puffed millet, puffed rice) (15-20g)
1/3 cup hemp seeds (20-25g)
2 tbsp peanut butter or almond butter
1 tsp vanilla
Up to 1 tbsp water, if needed

Method
Roughly chop the dried peaches and then add to your food processor along with the puffed cereal and hemp seeds. Process until finely ground. 

Add the nut butter and vanilla and process until the mixture starts to clump together. If needed, gradually add a little water to help bind the mixture.

Roll the mixture into 14 or so medium-large balls. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving, and then store in the refrigerator.


Submitted to Ricki's Wellness Weekend and Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Do you have any favourite uses for hemp seeds?

19 comments:

  1. I think it's so funny you can't sell them for consumption in Australia! Such a shame too because they're so good for you!

    Sounds awesome with dried peaches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite amusing! I imagine we'll catch up one day ;) Glad you like the sound of these!

      Delete
  2. I'd love to try hemp seeds but haven't been able to find them. Might try these with sunflower seeds instead. I'm so into these "ball" recipes at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they would be lovely with sunflower seeds :) And I am always into ball recipes I think!

      Delete
  3. I must stock up on hemp seeds then! I love how these have peach in them. These look really good, Kari, and like they'd be full of flavour and texture and utterly delicious xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just checked out the label on the packet of hemp seeds I have in the fridge - seems I don't read the small print enough to notice the little sticker telling me not to eat it because it is illegal. Your peach and hemp balls sounds lovely - but I hope they don't get you thrown into jail :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My packets have all come with enormous stickers you can't miss so I love that your brand went for the less obvious option ;)

      I hope the police have more to do than search for Australian recipes with hemp seeds!!

      Delete
    2. no my sticker wasn't that small but it just didn't seem worth putting my glasses on to read it

      Delete
  5. Oooh I need to try dried peaches! Thanks for linking up with HVF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Suzanne! Dried peaches are great for variety in the dried fruit stakes :)

      Delete
  6. LOL - funny that Aussies are so conservative. I often put aside recipes to make, and buy the ingredients, but it takes me ages to make the mental leap to make it. These balls sound amazing - I love peach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look really good, and will give me something to do with the bag of "Not for human consumption" hemp seeds I bought a while back. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's illegal to eat hemp seeds? That's crazy talk! They are super nutritious. Glad you can still get a hold of them though that's good.

    I love these balls and am always in the mood for energy balls/bites like this. Love the addition of peach, such a nice change from chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty funny :) I'm sure the law will change eventually!

      Delete
  9. Hemp seed is one of the numerous regular fat consuming nourishments available to you. Find the fat consuming and other wellbeing related advantages of hemp seeds alongside a few approaches to set them up for most extreme benefit.It can be hard to pick sound tidbits, and children can regularly have distinctive thoughts of what tastes great than grown-ups do. Here are some sound nibble thoughts to keep everybody upbeat. I Find a decent site for the Hemp Toronto,If you need you can visit this site.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are numerous sustenances that can be made with hemp, and it is a result of this reality that it's surprisingly simple to get a lot of hemp nourishment. You can likewise eat the seed crude in the event that you like that.
    I find a very good site for the weed list, You can visit this site.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).