Thursday, March 27, 2014

Cottesloe Sculptures by the Sea, 2014

This is the third year I've posted pictures from the annual Sculptures by the Sea event held at Cottesloe Beach. The event doesn't need much introduction. Each March, it delivers several weeks of creative sculptures set on and above the Cottesloe shoreline. It seems to have become increasingly popular each year, and as a free event in a beautiful setting, the popularity is deserved.

Here were some highlights from our visit this year!

Spot the wire cloud in front of the real one; the wire is lit up after dark too



I would like a giant pillow of my own

I can probably pass on the giant wine skin though...

Tree-based bugs, and beach-based flags (background)

Cycling off a pier? This little scultpure is doing so

There's that wine skin again...

The beach deserved a capture of its own.

Sandy surfing

Bright lines

Flying

Do you have a favourite out of those I captured here? I think the last one (flying figure) might be mine - but I did love those giant pillows!

13 comments:

  1. the last photo is my favourite sculpture but I would love to see the whole lot - and I would love to claim if it was in melbourne I might but I am not sure I have a good track record of getting out to all I would like to - love it that you share it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna - I'm never sure quite what non-local people care about seeing in Perth, so I'm glad you enjoyed the images :)

      Delete
  2. I have been to sculpture by the sea in Sydney, and it is such a fun event. Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw! I'm glad you enjoyed your local version.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely sunset. Some of those sculptures are enormous. My favourite would be the wire cloud xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some absolutely gigantic ones Charlie. Quite amazing that they can even make them so big!

      Delete
  4. Oh dear! I missed the wire cloud and seems like the best! Oh shoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful for walking towards the beach right in front of it, as otherwise I think I could have missed it too! As it is, I'm sure I missed others - I always seem to.

      Delete
  5. These are amazing! I do really love that last sculpture as well. Such a great action "shot".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the last one too Kari, (it reminded me of the Dirty Dancing scene in the water :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How awesome! I wish this had of been on when we were staying there!!! :-)
    I like the "Sandy Surfing" one - but maybe I'm bias ;-) haha

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).