Monday, March 3, 2014

365 project: February photos (plus ballet at the quarry and bouncing stonehenge)

Having done a post summarising my January photo-a-day photos, I thought I would continue on and summarise each month as the year unfolds. Here, obviously, we have February.

Featured in the February photo set are snapshots from two outings not yet mentioned on the blog. The first was our attendance at the Western Australia Ballet company's Ballet at the Quarry. Mr Bite gave me tickets for my birthday last December. It was the first time in a long time I had been to the ballet, and the first time Mr Bite had been at all. The modern adaptation of Romeo and Juliet, set to Radiohead music and appropriately titled Radio and Juliet, was a good choice for both of us.

Ballet at the Quarry - amphitheatre seating

The Quarry Amphitheatre is an atmospheric place, with grass tiered seating surrounded by towering limestone walls. We took a picnic and the hot day transitioned beautifully to a cool, clear evening.

The second outing was our visit to the 'Sacrilege' bouncing castle, part of the Perth Festival activities. It provided a full-scale bouncing version of Stonehenge, and was free for children and adults alike. We had enough of bouncing after about 5 minutes, but it was very fun!

Bouncing Stonehenge

Activities and outings explained, here are my 28 photos for February...

1st: Motion / 2nd: Delphinium / 3rd: Caterpillar / 4th: Street art / 5th: Night lights

6th: Cinemascope leaves / 7th: Jumbo nut / 8th: Fading light / 9th: Balance / 10th: Bush gold kangaroo paw

11th Filtered light / 12th: Eager / 13th: Not talking / 14th: Love / 15th: Out of the sun

16th: Simple beauty / 17th: Glow / 18th: Shadow people / 19th: Local colour / 20th: Saying hello

21st: Warm up [Ballet at the Quarry] / 22nd: Summer nights / 23rd: Bouncing Stonehenge / 24th: Stripes / 25th: Cafe in tan

26th: Perth Bell Tower / 27th: Bag wisdom [but with 'is' instead of 'are'!] / 28th: Turning out


I think my favourite photos from this month might be day 16 (those peppers are now very well featured!) and day 20 (featuring my brother's cat).

Do you have any stand out moments from February?

14 comments:

  1. I love your 365 project, Kari! I'm actually thinking about doing one too..When I look back on Feb, I feel like all I did was read research papers on PKU and Down syndrome. However, I'm sure in my day-to-day activities there were some memorable events that took place. If I capture them in photos, perhaps I can learn to appreciate and remember the little, subtle things in life. I love the bouncing stonehedge! I esp love day 15 and 18!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I remember those days of constant paper reading :( Photography might be just the thing to interrupt time at your desk! Bouncing on a giant Stonehenge would no doubt help too ;)

      Delete
  2. I want that "Love and Coffee is All You Need" hanging in my apartment! SO true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you posted your photos here. I'm behind on posting mine and looking at others. Thanks for sharing a glimpse into your life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos - the ballet sounds really interesting - I love seeing shows in interesting place (once saw a shakespeare play on a cliffside theatre in Cornwall that was amazing and is brought to mind by this quarry theatre) - I am hoping we might see some outdoor ballet this weekend but it is dependent upon energy levels. Love photos 18 and 20 - and I love how you name them - glad you will be doing this each month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cliffside theatre in Cornwall does sound amazing! I can imagine it would also be a little reminiscent of the Perth Quarry - but suspect our quarry isn't quite as dramatic in scale. I hope you get to your own ballet on the weekend :)

      Delete
  5. How lovely to be given tickets to the ballet. I love the ballet! I've never seen one performed to Radiohead though! It looks like that bouncing stonehenge would be a lot of fun xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed Charlie! And ballet to Radiohead is an experience, but a great one :)

      Delete
  6. You have taken some lovely photos. I like the sound of ballet at the Quarry. Feb standout for me was a weekend in Woodend - posts to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite: 2nd: Delphinium. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful month of photos! ♥ It's refreshing to see all those vivid colours as it's been very grey & rainy here in the UK!.
    The ballet sounds awesome! I love ballet & I love Radiohead, so it would be cool to see the two put together. Looks like a great venue too!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).