Friday, January 17, 2014

Vegan peanut butter fudge bites (super easy, single bowl, and 4 ingredients!)

My enjoyment of coconut flour has increased exponentially since my first dismal attempt to use it in purple carrot cookies. Since then, it has featured successfully in my recipes for 5-ingredient, 5 minute vegan brownie bites, vegan coconut banana truffles, vegan no-bake banana bread bites, and even strawberry oat squares.

Today, I am delighted to add another coconut flour win to the list. Like most of the successful recipes above, these peanut butter fudge bites have a short ingredient list and take hardly any time to prepare. Coconut flour works to bind everything together and give a chewy, fudgy texture that is incredibly satisfying


This recipe features stevia as the sweetener for several reasons. The first is that I've recently been reminded that I have stevia in my pantry and it deserves to be used on occasion. I love maple syrup and agave, but variety is a nice trait to foster in the kitchen. The second is that liquid stevia is far more concentrated than maple syrup or agave. Using one of those sweeteners would have changed the consistency of the fudge, and I wanted it to be dense not runny. Brown sugar would have swung things the other way and perhaps made these too thick.

If you don't like stevia, playing around with the ingredients will no doubt generate an alternative that works well. However, if you do, this is a great place to utilise it.




Peanut butter fudge bites
Vegan, no bake and very easy to make.
Makes about 24 very small fudge squares, or (maths time!) a smaller number of larger squares.

Depending on how this is eaten, it could serve 2 (as a stand alone snack) to 10 (if just eating a square or two). I polished it off solo over 2 sittings.


Ingredients
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 1/2 tbsp natural peanut butter
1/2 tsp liquid stevia, or to taste
4 tbsp non-dairy milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond)

Method
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well using a metal spoon. The mixture will start to clump together; keep mixing and use the back of the spoon to smooth things out. 

When reasonably smooth, tip the mixture into a small plastic container (around 10cm /4 inches x 10cm / 4 inches would be ideal) and press evenly and firmly into the bottom.

Set in the freezer for 20 - 30 minutes and then cut into squares whilst still in the container. Tip out and serve immediately, or keep refrigerated until needed.

I imagine this would keep well in the fridge for at least 3 - 4 days, but will confess to not allowing mine to last that long!


You could also make these with another nut butter, and I plan to try an almond butter adaptation in the future. Some cocoa or carob powder would give a nice twist too...as would drizzling the top of the fudge with melted chocolate.

Submitted to the Healthy Vegan Friday relaunch in January 2014.

What is your favourite use for coconut flour, if you use it?

24 comments:

  1. what about melted chocolate in it - I have quite a bit of melted chocolate at the moment :-)

    I also thought of another nut butter so sylvia can taste it but it does look good (and I think I have some leftover coconut milk from recipe testing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melted chocolate can definitely go in it Johanna ;) And this used some of my leftover coconut milk from recipe testing too...I recommend it as the use up method!

      Delete
  2. I love peanut butter fudge and these bites are waving hello to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just love it when food does that? :)

      Delete
  3. Brilliant! I think you' know I'm still avoiding sweeteners other than stevia so it's especially exciting to see this recipe. I haven't used coconut flour a lot, though I should after the success of my raw berry cream brownies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your raw berry cream brownies are such a perfect example of when coconut flour works well :) I hope you enjoy these if you make them.

      Delete
  4. I think I've used coconut flour maybe once? Really need to pick up another bag and get to incorporating it into my life...this fudge will be first since I'm a peanut butter addict.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to play with it some more Joanne :) It took me a bit (ok, a lot!) of getting used to but it is brilliant in these kind of snacks.

      Delete
  5. YUM! Anything with peanut butter is a winner to me. Although I like your idea of adding some cocoa or carob powder! I have actually never used coconut flour so this may be a good one for me to experiment with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! I think this would be a great introduction to coconut flour - hopefully you will get on well :)

      Delete
  6. These sound so good! I'm all for 'healthy' fudge :D
    I haven't used coconut flour before but I'd love to try it. All your coconut flour recipes sound scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sharon. I think this and the brownies are equal coconut flour flavourites of mine now :)

      Delete
  7. Oh, I'd love to see a recipe for this, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe is at the end of the post :) I hope you enjoy them if you make them.

      Delete
  8. I should revisit your coconut flour favourites since I have 25 lbs of coconut flour in my pantry... make no mistake, it is a lot of coconut flour :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good gosh, that is a lot! You'd get a whole heap of fudge ;)

      Delete
  9. Yum - this sounds like my kind of treat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look good. I nearly bought coconut flour yesterday but decided not to. Wish I'd seen this post before making that decision!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never tried coconut flour, but that will have to change after Ive feared my eyes on this delicious post (and recipe), yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes a bit of getting used to Lucie, but it gives really great results when it comes together!

      Delete
  12. Peanut butter and coconut are a pretty unbeatable combo, so I love this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, it's not a combination I've had before! I'll have to rectify that from here on :)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).