Saturday, January 25, 2014

Cardamom and ginger spiced biscuits (cookies)

Do you remember studying Venn diagrams in high school maths? Chocolate tastes in our household resemble an overlapping 2 circle example.

In the overlapping component ("Kari intersect Mr Bite") we have moderately dark (50-70% cocoa), reasonably sweet, dairy free chocolate that doesn't include nuts or spices.

In the bit specific to me ("Kari minus Mr Bite"), we have darker, less sweet chocolates of all varieties, plus lighter dairy free blocks with nuts and/or spices.

In the bit specific to my husband ("Mr Bite minus Kari"), we have milk chocolate.

Chocolate chip biscuits featuring Cadbury's Marvellous Creations chocolate.

That was a lengthy introduction to a post that actually isn't about chocolate. Our chocolate Venn diagram does explain, however, why I recently made chocolate chip cookies with Cadbury's Marvellous Creations jelly popping candy chocolate. For some months, this Cadbury flavour has been part of my husband's regular chocolate rotation. And then, suddenly, he ejected it to the realm of neither Kari nor Mr Bite. In other words, he didn't want it anymore, but he still had a whole unopened block.

I turned half of the rejected block into chocolate chip cookies, using the chocolate chip recipe I've posted before. The cookie mix is vegan, but obviously Cadbury milk chocolate is not.


Cardamom and ginger spiced biscuits.

Not wanting to be left out, I made myself a batch of biscuits too. Mine omitted chocolate altogether, but made use of a generous quota of dried cardamom and ginger. The resulting biscuits were crispy on the outside, soft and chewy within, and a perfect blend of spices and sweetness. They're like chai tea in edible form and if you eat these with chai tea - and I did! - they're rather like heaven.


Whatever your chocolate preferences, I recommend you make these. And if you happen to have an unwanted block of Cadbury Marvellous Creations chocolate? Make a chocolate chip batch alongside.

Cardamom and ginger spiced biscuits
These biscuits mix sweet with spice in just the right way
Makes 14 - 16 biscuits
Vegan

Adapted from my strawberry and white chocolate and cranberry and dark chocolate cookies, which were in turn adapted from a recipe in Kris Holechek's The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes



Ingredients
1/2 cup non-dairy spread, loosely packed (I used Nuttelex)
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 - 2 tsp dried ginger
1 tsp dried cardamom
Pinch salt

Method
Preheat your oven to 180'C (350'F) and line two baking trays with baking paper.

In a large bowl, beat together the non-dairy spread and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the cornstarch, milk and vanilla and beat briefly to combine.

Add the flour, baking soda, ginger, cardamom and salt to the butter/sugar mix and stir through, mixing well to combine. 

Using your hands, roll tablespoon sized balls of dough and place on the baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Press each ball gently with the back of a fork, partially flattening.

Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, until cookies are golden at the edges but still soft in the centre (they will harden on standing and should be slightly soft when removing from the oven). Allow to cool on the baking trays for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Do you live in a household with multiple chocolate stashes (lots of your own don't count!)? Or do you go through chocolate phases yourself?

24 comments:

  1. What a beautiful photo of your biscuits! They look lovely. Seems like a great basic recipe for these and your choc chip ones. Before I was vegan, my fave chocolate was a choc mint one. I noticed a peanut butter flavour in the shops recently but not vegan :( so I stick to my own baking to get my
    Chocolate fix :) love your Venn diagram explanation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - I do love the base biscuit recipe and it seems to work well whatever you add to it! Chocolate mint and chocolate peanut butter are favourites of mine too, and I will confess to a strong wish at times for Lindt to veganise their peanut butter Lindt balls!

      Delete
    2. Sylvia and I made these biscuits today (with cinnamon because I wasn't sure the kids would go for the cardamom) and they were a hit with everyone! Sylvia especially loved pressing them down with a fork :)

      Delete
    3. Oh, brilliant! Thanks for letting me know, I am so glad you enjoyed them :-)

      Delete
  2. These cookies sound so good! I prefer your cookies to Mr Bite's, but it would have been the reverse when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oowah! Cardamom and ginger, yes. Popping candy (and this awful chocolate), never.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite funny making the two batches simultaneously. One batch seemed suited to a refined afternoon tea with fine china tea cups, and the other batch...not so much ;) Apparently the chocolate is improved in biscuit form though!

      Delete
  4. Ven diagrams! Maths always filled me with dread especially as year after year I seemed to have a run of shocking teachers. But your biscuits look amazing and I think cardamon and ginger work beautifully together xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shocking teachers have a particularly awful effect in maths, don't they? The first half of year 8 I didn't understand my maths teacher at all and I had a light bulb moment when my subsequent teacher just explained things slightly differently. Fortunately biscuits are fairly easy to understand without instruction ;)

      Delete
  5. I like your ven diagram - now we need one of your biscuits - imagine doing it as a photo with all your biscuits in their rightful place - that would be fun. Your biscuits look beautiful with the fork markings but I fear I prefer the choc chip ones. I just can't imagine being tired of those marvellous creations chocolate - they are fantastic - though yes they get a bit sickly sweet if you eat too much and they are very moreish - in fact we haven't bought them very often for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish I'd done a biscuit Venn diagram! that would have been excellent :-) As for the Cadbury chocolate, I think your approach to buying them rarely may be the key to ongoing enjoyment. Mr B had it weekly and I think that may have been the problem!

      Delete
  6. Those biscuits look perfect. I am sure they would taste delicious with a piping hot cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm those ginger ones sound lovely...I would never have thought of adding cardamom either. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome :-) Cardamom is a relatively recent discovery for me, but I love it now.

      Delete
  8. Not a huge chocolate eater! We used to have different stashes, one for hubby, one for child, one for me. Now we have it once a month ;-) And we all eat the same on that occasion!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, really?! Mr Bite has chocolate weekly, but I have at least a square of the very dark kind most days.

      Delete
  9. Yum, cardamom is one of my favorite spices, reminds me of my childhood! These cookies look wonderful. Thanks for linking them to Healthy Vegan Fridays Kari.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These spiced-cookies sound scrumptious! They sound very rich and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Danielle - rich and delicious is a spot on description!

      Delete
  11. It is very good for the throat.... I will surely try this at home for my kids..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these cookies!!! I will be making them every year for the Holidays!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).