Sunday, January 5, 2014

Vegemite stir fry

I suspect a lot of Australian (and overseas Australian) bloggers have tried Vegemite with tofu at some stage. There are a few recipes around, but it's the kind of dish that doesn't necessarily require a recipe. There seem to be some Vegemite chicken recipes out there too, and I imagine Vegemite has been paired with all sorts of other ingredients that I've never thought of.


Vegemite stir fry may not be a new concept, but I thought I'd post this version for my own reference, and perhaps to inspire those of you who haven't come across this use for the ingredient. If you're from the UK, Marmite would work equally well, and Promite would give a milder but still similar result. If you're from the US, I'm not sure if you have an equivalent product, but you can probably get hold of Vegemite, Marmite or Promite if you're really keen! (I summarised the differences between the three here.)


When you think about it, the salty, yeasty, umami taste of Vegemite isn't all that different to the flavour profile of soy sauce, which is a common stir fry ingredient. I'm not sure I want soy sauce on my toast...but Vegemite on my vegetables works just fine.

Vegemite stir fry
A casual dish that takes Vegemite from spread to sauce!
Vegan.
Serves 2


Ingredients
1 1/2 tbsp Vegemite or equivalent spread (you could easily double this if you wanted a stronger taste)
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 cup water
350g (1 block) firm tofu, sliced and pressed
1 small onion, diced

Stir fry vegetables of choice such as -
1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
1 bunch bok choi, roughly chopped
1 carrot, thinly sliced
Handful mushrooms, sliced

Srirachi or other chilli sauce, for drizzling

Rice, quinoa or noodles, for serving, as desired

Method
Combine the Vegemite, nutritional yeast and water in a shallow baking dish and whisk to combine. Add the sliced and pressed tofu and allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes, but preferably 30-60 minutes.

Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and cook the tofu pieces until lightly golden. Retain the extra Vegemite marinade/sauce.

Remove the tofu pieces and add the onion and other vegetables to your pan, along with the remaining Vegemite marinade. Cook over low-medium heat for approximately 5 minutes. Return the tofu to the pan and keep over low-medium heat for a further 5-10 minutes.

Serve drizzled with Srirarchi or other hot sauce (this really makes the dish!), plus rice / quinoa / noodles as desired.


Do you enjoy Vegemite or a similar spread on tofu, or in other savoury dishes?

24 comments:

  1. I love Vegemite (actually this has reminded me that I've used it up and it needs to go on the shopping list) but have really only ever used it as a spread on toast. It is brilliant in that regard because S hates it and therefore doesn't steal my toast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whereas I'm the opposite and actually rarely have it on toast :-)

      Delete
  2. I used to cook with promite more than I do now but I love the idea of it. Did you ever come across vecon - it was a vegetable extract I used to use that was quite like a stock paste - and I started to see promite as similar because it was a yeast and vegetable extract. Anyway vegemite is also similar (nigella lawson has a well know pasta with vegemite recipe) and I love your idea of using it in a stirfry. I've used promite or vegemite in soups and stews as well as the odd nut roast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I ever saw vecon! I did remember promite or vegemite featuring in one of your nut roasts though - stews would be another great use :-)

      Delete
  3. My mum puts promite in stews and stir fries, so I bet this would taste great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post reminds me of my very first visit to Australia. John put a scraping of Vegemite on a piece of toast and said, "Here, take a bite." I said no thanks, I had enough on my plate.

    "Take a bite, it won't kill you!" he said.

    I was pretty sure it was going to. It takes some getting used to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha...it's so funny reading things like that when I grew up with it! It just tastes normal to me. Perhaps it's just as well it's not readily available in the US though, or I might scare my American readers with the result ;)

      Delete
  5. Vegemite is THE best ingredient in so many things! Love your blog

    http://journeysthroughmeadows.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lucie! And I'm rather impressed with your comment coming with a .uk blog address - perhaps Vegemite is more widespread than I thought :-)

      Delete
  6. I am one of the strange non-Aussie people that loves Vegemite. And I've been on a tofu kick! Now just to get my hands on some Vegemite that doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaaah! You've reminded me of how I used to mash up and entire block of cold firm tofu with vegemite, nutritional yeast, and cracked pepper, and eat it with a spoon. IMMA DO THAT AGAIN NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE vegemite! I put it so thick on my toast that you can see your reflection in it!!! I have never tried vegemite wwith tofu but I have had it in creamy meat dishes!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems its uses never end! I am impressed with your spreading prowess too - that sounds like one hearty layer :-)

      Delete
  9. ha! that is awesome! i have never tried it but I reckon its a flavour i would totally LOVE :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given your existing love of tofu, it would at least be in with a chance ;)

      Delete
    2. hehe yes I'm def a tofu lover! will have to give it a try for sure!

      Delete
  10. I love this idea! Vegemite & Marmite can both be purchased here in the US at specialty stores - but they ARE hard to find (of course, you can buy them online!) The first time I tasted this stuff, I thought "this tastes like really strong soy sauce" - and I have often wondered if the soy-allergic could use it for a stir fry. Thanks for answering my question! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a great point I hadn't even thought of! This would be a great solution for those with soy allergies :-)

      Delete
  11. Was it amazing? I am very much vegemite obsessed.. not so much the tofu. Bad vegetarian! Haha. This looks great. Tyler hates vegemite which is unfortunate so I would make it when I'm alone one night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes wish I was less tofu obsessed so I definitely wouldn't feel bad! I've been doing this combination in various random ways for some time, so the initial amazing-ness has worn off slightly (it's a familiar mix now!). But on the flip side, it is good enough to keep me coming back :-) I imagine you could marinate eggplant this way if you wanted something fully veggie based?

      Delete
  12. I haven't tried it on tofu, but I do love my vegemite. Mr Chocolate won't use the same knife if there has been vegemite before him...funny thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing indeed! Although with his name, perhaps I can understand that his affections lie elsewhere ;)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).