Wednesday, January 15, 2014

65% cocoa Forestero Ghana chocolate, by Gabriel Chocolate

It's not often I dedicate a whole product review post to one block of chocolate. Gabriel Chocolate, however, invites such attention. They are the first Western Australian company to make single original chocolate (using imported cacao beans), and they do a swoonworthy job of it.


Sadly, I haven't visited the premises of Gabriel Chocolate myself, on account of their location in Yallingup, about 3 hours south of Perth. My parents alerted me to their existence when they brought me back chocolate from their recent mini-trip south.


My mother said that she spent some time picking my block, trying to work out what I might like best. I am hugely impressed by this because the truth is, I don't know what type of single origin chocolate I like best. I've always viewed single origin as simultaneously fancy and risky. If you like the cacao beans from the region in question, and the resulting chocolate product, then you're in luck. If you don't, then there are no other flavours or 'bits' to hide behind. I haven't tried enough single origin bars to know which regions I like best, so it's always a bit of a lottery trying new products.

I can now say that I love chocolate using cacao from Ghana. This 65% cocoa block drew its origins from the Forestero Ghana region, and it won me over from first bite. The packet refers to hints of berries and currants, and I also found caramel and toffee. It's not often you get berry notes and caramel notes in one bar, but this block pulls it off wonderfully.


I also like Gabriel Chocolate's packaging. The box opens four ways, and then there is glitter! gold! pretty! - and then, of course, the chocolate itself.


The company makes a limited number (250) of each block variety, which means you can't stick to one favourite forever. This is a little sad, but having got off to such a great start, I'm prepared to trust that I'll love their other flavours just as much as this one.

I know most of you won't have a chance to visit Gabriel Chocolate yourself, but if you ever come across their blocks...buy them. I don't think you'll regret it!

Gabriel Chocolate is located at the corner of Caves Road and Quininup Road, Yallingup, Western Australia. They have a website and are highly reviewed on Trip Advisor too, for their chocolate blocks and their on-site cafe. 

What was your latest local brand discovery?

10 comments:

  1. So glad you found a great local single origin chocolate. My favourite recent brand discovery is local to Hobart - Amanda Jammm jams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hobart has some excellent things doesn't it? I love the name of that jam range!

      Delete
  2. There is nothing better than the pure, dark, indulgence of dark chocolate! My recent brand discovery is Raw Health.

    journeysthroughmeadows.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look Raw Health up - they sound like they could appeal to me!

      Delete
  3. Interestingly, even once you have a sense of which origin of cacao bean you like, it can still be a crapshoot as, like wine, crops in a year can be affected by rain/heat/yield/etc, which can lead to acidity, or weaker flavours, etc. You know, like how a 2004 pinot grigio might taste completely different to a 2009 from the same winery. But it's still fun to try them out and learn a bit more about your tastes. Go Perth!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh. The complexities! I don't really drink wine (or alcohol in general) so am clueless as to the subtleties in wine regions and flavours. I guess trying lots of chocolate to figure out what I like isn't really a hardship though ;)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fantastic gift from your folks and glad you enjoyed it (our latest block of lindt chocolate was a casualty of the heat wave - hate chocolate in the fridge - what have you been doing with all perth's heat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like chocolate in the fridge either, but as Mr Bite does, we have two stashes: his only are in the fridge, mine only are in the pantry, and shared blocks move between the two! Our pantry copes ok with reasonably warm temperatures but when it's as hot as it has been, sometimes I have to concede fridge necessity and mine move in there too. It makes for a full fridge though! Sorry to hear you had some losses with your own heat - it sounds quite awful over your side of the country at present.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing this informative post! Branded Corporate gifts in Ghana. Branded Corporate gifts in Ghana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,Me was born in South Africa Way down below Ghana mi grandad an grannie was white but de Rusta song mi like Cos mi like da chocolate in da milo an in da milkshake Mi wish mi had such a tree to call de girls to me Me give dem da gods food To make dem feel good Den we can together sing an dance an we can make romance dem an mi under da coco tree.Thanks to all!!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    StreamAfrica

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).