Saturday, January 11, 2014

Raw zucchini noodles with a spicy peanut sauce

When I posted this recipe for zucchini noodles with a tahini-lemon sauce, I mentioned that I'd first planned a Thai-style sauce with peanut butter and lime. A month later, I'm pleased to be back with that sauce. Carrying Thai flavours beautifully, the mix of peanut butter, chilli, ginger, lime and a dash of salt and sweet makes for a highly enjoyable dressing.

I made this dish somewhat on the spur of the moment, so my recipe is scribbled in very vague form on a piece of scrap paper. I hope I have copied it accurately below. It's a fairly simple dish, so I'm confident that you can switch ingredients to your tastes and pantry if required.

I had planned to top the salad with nuts, but in the end used chickpeas simply because I had them on hand. Obviously cooked chickpeas are not raw, so if you want a fully raw dish, you will want to revert back to nuts for your topping.


You could take a short cut with the dressing and use sriracha or another chilli sauce (not all of which will be raw) instead of chopped fresh chilli, so feel free to take that route if you'd prefer. Topping with coriander (cilantro) would also be a nice finish.


Raw zucchini noodles with a spicy peanut sauce
Serves 1 as a light meal (double quantities if needed)
Vegan and raw if using nuts to top


Ingredients
1 tbsp natural peanut butter (see note)
2 tsp lime juice
1 tsp agave
1 tsp soy sauce (or raw equivalent)
1 tsp fresh chopped ginger
1 small red chilli, finely chopped (adjust to taste)
1 tsp nutritional yeast
1 - 2 tsp water, to give desired consistency
1 medium zucchini
1 small carrot
Handful chopped nuts or ~1/2 cup chickpeas, to top

Method
Combine the peanut butter, lime juice, agave, soy sauce, ginger, chilli and nutritional yeast in a bowl and whisk well to thoroughly combine. Gradually add the water to give a consistency that is similar to tomato sauce (not runny but not too thick). I used 2 tsp water.

If you have a veggie spiralizer, use it to spiralize the zucchini and carrot. If you don't, use a mandolin or sharp knife to create thin vegetable slices.

Pour the peanut dressing over the vegetable noodles, stir through, and top with nuts or chickpeas (or tofu or other beans).

Serve immediately.

Note
Commercial peanut butters are not raw, even if they use 100% peanuts, because the peanuts are roasted before processing. There are a few raw peanut butters available to purchase, but they aren't easy to find. If you want a fully raw dish, you may want to make your own raw peanut butter using a recipe such as this one.


Submitted to the January 'Anyone can cook vegetarian food' link-up on Cate's Cates. January's theme is raw.


How often do you use fresh chillies in cooking? I will confess to becoming quite lazy of late and mostly using bottled sauces!

28 comments:

  1. Ooh, more raw zucchini noodles! I love them so much! This looks like a fascinating recipe, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them so much too - it's amazing what a vegetable spiralizer makes possible! Thanks for giving me a good reason to make and post some this month :-)

      Delete
  2. these look so beautiful I would love a nibble right now - no actually I could have a plateful

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! Looks so creamy and delicious. Zucchini noodles aren't really on my radar right now (too cold here!) but I cannot wait for the summer months to have them again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine cooked pasta looks far more appealing than the raw type at the moment ;) Luckily summer will reach you again eventually!

      Delete
  4. Yummy! I make a very similar dish. I like to add edamame to mine in place of the chickpeas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent idea Emma! I will have to try that next time - I love edamame :)

      Delete
  5. I adore a good peanut sauce and it would have been great with these healthy "noodles".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, technically peanut butter isn't raw either.... but who the heck cares? NOM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I completely forgot my note about raw peanut butter for those that care about such things (clearly, I am not fully in that category ;) ). Thanks for prompting my memory!

      Delete
  7. Yummy! This looks fabulous, Kari! I've been experimenting a lot with Thai cooking and I actually made spicy peanut sauce today ;). I love your version and your choice for noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice! This looks and sounds delicious... and I am all for the chickpeas here, by the way. I am definitely more into the high raw substitutes like cooked legumes complementing the raw veggies! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :-) Sometimes all raw is a bit much!

      Delete
  9. Ah this looks like my ideal meal! And I love any excuse to use my spiraliser :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such fun gadgets aren't they?! Glad to help out ;)

      Delete
    2. Meant to tell you that I made this a while ago and loved it! Sauce is so good. My mum loved it too :)

      Delete
    3. Wonderful! Thanks so much for letting me know Kate :-)

      Delete
  10. I had this meal again last night after posting the recipe on my blog (Im going to have to try nutritional yeast again - Ive not had it in forever - thanks for reminding me!). So, so good!

    journeysthroughmeadows.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucie! I'm so glad you liked it. I forget about nutritional yeast semi-regularly too, and then I remember and don't know how I ever forgot :P

      Delete
  11. I must get a spiralizer because I think these noodley things are very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are Maureen. It's like playing, but it gives you edible food!

      Delete
  12. Yummm!! I love peanut butter. Can't wait to try this in the summer when my dad's garden zucchini's are plentiful! In the meantime, I may have to try this sauce over kelp noodles..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I use Raw Almond Butter for the sauce and it tastes great too!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).