Sunday, September 25, 2011

Apricot, Sesame and Coconut Balls, and Chocolate Peanut Fudge

We are home! After a brief trip to Sydney, a week back home, and then 3 weeks of house sitting (only 15 minutes from our own house, but nonetheless not at our own house), we are back in our own place.

It may be smaller, it may not have a big veggie garden, and there may not be any pets...but it is rather nice. In fact, it is very nice. Having all of my things in one house, rather than strewn in a disorganised fashion across two locations, is also nice.

Before I left my Mum's kitchen I had, of course, to try her magimix. I wanted to see how it compared to my Kitchen Aid.

Thus, you may consider the following products as creations in the name of research. It's hard, but someone has to do these things.

Apricot, Sesame and Coconut Balls

Inspired by Johanna's apricot delight
Makes 12 - 15 balls


Combine 1/4 cup sesame seeds, 1/4 cup dessicated coconut, and 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots in a food processor

Pulse until well-combined and the mixture resembles crumbs

Add 1 tbsp honey or agave and 1tsp water

Process until the mixture starts clumping together

Roll into 12 - 15 balls and coat in extra coconut

Set in the fridge or freezer



I actually preferred these to the chocolate-y fudge below, which says something rather significant about how good they tasted...

I'm still looking forward to trying Johanna's original, apricot and coconut version of these, but this combination worked well as a way to use the ingredients on hand in my Mum's pantry (which included the sesame seeds).

Chocolate Peanut Fudge

Inspired by chocolate
Makes ~15 squares




Combine 1/2 cup chopped peanuts and 1/4 cup cocoa in a food processor

Pulse until well-combined and the mixture is moist

Add 2 - 3 tbsp agave (or more if you want it sweet), 1tsp vanilla, 1 tbsp plain flour, and 1/4 tsp salt

Process until the mixture is smooth and starts clumping together

Press into a square container and sprinkle with extra peanuts

Set in the fridge or freezer, before cutting into squares




These is far more decadent than the short ingredient list would suggest. Sprinkling the chopped peanuts on top also makes the squares look fancier than the simplicity of the recipe deserves.




The conclusions? The magimix still works well, after 25+ years :)

Have you tried different food processors? Or even a Thermomix (although be warned, if you have a Thermomix, I may not be able to control my jealousy...).

23 comments:

  1. Hmm, I think I wouldn't be able to control my jealousy either if someone close mentioned they had a Thermomix either. Seriously those apricot and coconut balls look really good - and all good fats in there and you could get away without the agave almost :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a food processor. I have a little hand powered one, but it doesn't really do the job. The biggest problem is that my tiny kitchen is full so I can't really justify another gadet. Oh well one day I will have the space and then I may just have to go for the thermomix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed out loud at, "inspired by chocolate."

    I have a really old cheap food processor, but it does the trick. I've used the one my boyfriends mom owns and its MUCH nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want ALL OF IT! All of it! I've got two raw date-nut snacks to post, but keep not getting around to it. I definitely want to make yours, though. Love sesame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home! I bet the first sleep in your own bed felt like heaven :-)

    Oh, and super yummy looking foodies there, too! I fear I would eat them all in one sitting if I made them LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. welcome back! :)
    I love my kitchen aid.
    And I'm going to make those peanuty chocolate brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes the things that were made years ago last longer than the ones made recently. Workmanship! Although both of my kitchenaids, the processor and the mixer, are working well...knock on wood! The apricot balls look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Liz@LastChanceTraining
    You really could. They would still be sweet enough as is - next time I think I'll be doing that :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Lisa
    I think you definitely will. I had to work so hard not to think of a rationale for a thermomix when I got my KitchenAid. There was no way I could really justify it, but I tried hard anyway. One day, as you say!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @brocstar
    Would she notice if you took it home? :) As long as yours processes though, that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Hannah
    Ooh, I'm looking forward to your raw snacks too now. I'm seriously obsessed with raw ball things, I think I need an intervention.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Brooke
    Thank you - the bed and shower were nice indeed :)

    The good thing about the chocolate peanut fudge is, somewhat amazingly, it's actually just rich enough that you don't feel sick but one or two pieces really is enough. The apricot balls, though...more risky ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Mrs Bok - The Bok Flock
    I wonder how many like minded people have a love affair with kitchen aid? :)

    I hope you enjoy the brownies if you make them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Carolyn
    A kitchenaid mixer is on my 'I want' list (along with quite a lot of things I might add) - very cool that you have both. I hope they continue to last, as does my processor!

    And thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. glad you tried the apricot delight - imagine the sesame would be very good in it - and that chocolate one looks amazing - that magimix was a good investment by your mum - glad you are enjoying being back home

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are killing me with this post! Too many delicious creations in one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Johanna GGG
    Thanks Johanna. It is nice to think of how much use the magimix has got over the years. Baby food to baking to grating to raw food...definitely worth its starting price.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You own a kitchen aid.... I'm so freaking jealous. What colour? Love these desserts. Super tasty. I'm heading to the shops to get the ingredients tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, thank you Anna :) It's the grey colour, which was a BIG decision as I quite like the red. But, I hope one day to get a stand mixer too, and they come in many more exciting colours - I thought grey would match them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I made the apricot balls. They are delicious and not too sweet. thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).