Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Baked cabbage and apple

You know those weeks where you open your fridge and a full-sized cabbage stares back? Taking up precious fridge space (in our house at least; fridge space is never sufficient!) and asking for attention? And, you know that as soon as you take it out of the fridge and chop it up, the cabbage will magically expand across your chopping board and generate a larger quantity of vegetable than you started with?

I know. Cabbage has its merits, but it can also be a bit challenging.


Over time, I have found some reliable ways to put cabbage to good use. Most of these involve Asian flavours: Asian-style coleslaw, closely related ginger-chilli-soy coleslaw, and an Asian-inspired chickpea salad that features cabbage amongst other vegetables. I recommend those dishes highly, but sometimes I'm not up to eating through a full-sized cabbage in salad form either.

Thankfully, cabbage bakes really well. For those weeks where you don't feel like coleslaw of any variety, your fridge is bulging, and that cabbage is eyeing you off...I offer this baked cabbage and apple recipe.


The inspiration for this came from one of my Christmas magazines, the November 2013 issue of UK Vegetarian Living. The magazine version made use of apple juice and brown sugar, and suggested sauteing ingredients on the stove top before transferring to the oven. Using the oven is sacrifice enough in summer, so I skipped the sauteing step and this worked fine without it. I also substituted out the juice and sugar and used more fresh apple and some maple syrup instead.


The one downside of this dish? It only uses half a cabbage. If you have a large enough baking dish, though, it could easily be doubled!

Baked cabbage and apple
Adapted from the Baked Red Cabbage and Apple recipe in the November 2013 issue of the UK Vegetarian Living magazine
Serves 4 to 6 as a side
Vegan and fat free


Ingredients
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 large cabbage (white or red), roughly chopped
2 large apples, peeled and diced
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp water

Method
Preheat your oven to 180'C.

Place the chopped onion, cabbage and apples in a large baking dish. In a small jug or bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, maple syrup and water. Pour over the cabbage mix and stir to combine.

Bake for 1.5 to 2 hours, checking every 30 minutes. 

Serve warm as a side dish, or this can be used cold in wraps.



Raw or cooked - what is your favourite way to eat cabbage?

22 comments:

  1. I know the feeling! As much as I love cabbage they seem to grow when cut and just keep going. When it's just little old me in this household it's a lot to eat. I especially love slaw but this looks very tasty too. At Christmas time my Mum makes a braised red cabbage and apple dish which I adore and this reminds me of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like your Mum has cabbage nicely sorted out :-) At this time of year roast vegetables must be a nice counter to the cold too!

      Delete
  2. Sounds yum! But to be honest I'm happy just sauteing it with a little oil and butter - delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the simple things really are best!

      Delete
  3. I love how it has apple cider vinegar in it. You are so right about cabbages expanding as you cut them. And I too, don't like to use my oven in the summer xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think apple cider vinegar makes everything better (well, perhaps not everything) :)

      Delete
  4. hehe i do love cabbage but it sure is one of those items that tends to sit in the fridge!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never have thought of baking cabbage, but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cabbage and apples? I'm intrigued! I would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathleen - I hope you enjoy it if you do!

      Delete
  7. Roasted cabbage, with just a bit of olive oil and cracked black pepper, is one of my favorite dishes. I am curious to try this apple version though. Thanks for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to embrace your simplicity with good ingredients done in a basic form!

      Delete
  8. My mouth is watering - this looks so delicious!

    journeysthroughmeadows.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apples and Cabbage is a combination I would never think of doing. Such a newbie in the kitchen but this recipe seems fairly simple. I think I will give it a try and use it in wraps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely simple :-) I'm a big fan of simple!

      Delete
  10. This sounds so delicious! I must have missed it when flicking through the magazine! Your version sounds so much nicer though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicky! The magazine has so many great recipes, I imagine it's easy to miss some :-)

      Delete
  11. It's so funny that you made this because I made something super similar I was about to post- all because I was faced with a head of cabbage too. Great minds :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks yummy! I want to try that healthy stuff.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).