Thursday, January 2, 2014

In my kitchen - January 2014

I am linking this post in to Celia's monthly In My Kitchen event at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial

In my kitchen, there are Christmas presents aplenty!

There are four well chosen magazines, including the UK Vegetarian Living, which has highlighted just how many veggie products are waiting for me in England. (Hint: many!)

 

There are three well chosen teas, which Mr Bite bought for my Christmas stocking with no hints required. I was (am!) very impressed.


There are liquorice allsorts in an appealing box, courtesy of my parents. The sad inclusion of gelatin in liquorice allsorts means I no longer eat the coloured allsort variety, but I'm enjoying the plain liquorice pieces while Mr B. chomps through the rest.


I have two wonderful new books, Changing Gears by Greg Foyster and Woodswoman: Living Alone in the Adirondack Wilderness by Anne LaBastille. I was alerted to Changing Gears by the review on cityhippyfarmgirl, which I recommend you check out if you haven't already seen it. I truly think everyone should read this book. It tells of an Australian couple cycling from Melbourne to Cairns as they explore the concept of living simply and the various ways that can be achieved. It is poignant, funny, and Cityhippyfarmgirl even scores a mention, which was a bonus surprise.


Woodswoman: Living Alone in the Adirondack Wilderness has been on my 'to read' list for a year, so I was delighted to finally get a copy. The author (now deceased; the book was written in the 1970s) lived in a self-built log cabin in the Adirondack wilderness of New York state. This is the first in a series of three and tells of her move to the area and how she built her house and adapted to Adirondack life. I finished it last night and loved it.

In my kitchen (and sometimes elsewhere in the house), there is a heart shaped jangling cat. It jangles when you shake it, and I have told Mr Bite that I might adopt it as a "come here now" bell. Or, I might just shake it on whim. The cat, I think, would be happy with either.


In my kitchen, my camera is sitting ready to hand. In the spirit of practicing photography, I have decided to partake in a photo a day challenge for 2014. You don't have to upload photos daily, but the idea is to take at least one snap each day that captures something you want to remember as part of your year. If anyone wants to follow along (or join in!), my pictures will show up in Flickr here. I'll probably post some collages on the blog along the way too.

In my kitchen, there is a new cake server from the Melbourne botanical garden range. I have always served cakes in a precarious, balance-on-a-knife kind of way. I'm looking forward to baking something to cut and serve with this!

It's very shiny...

In my kitchen, there is a terrarium, made for us for Christmas for my brother. I love the concept and being able to see all layers of the environment rather than just the top!


Last but not least, in my kitchen there is a scent of clean. Yesterday involved washing sofa covers, scrubbing grout, cleaning in the hard to reach places, and filling several large bags of books and clothes to go to charity. It's a great way to start a new year.

What's happening in your kitchen this month?

36 comments:

  1. Sounds like lots of goodies in your presents - the photo a day project sounds interesting - I think I take photos on most days though not all are ones I want to share - love the photos of the cake server with the reflection of the camera in it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna - I liked that photo too so am glad I wasn't alone ;) I'm like you, I think I'd take at least a photo a day, but often they're food and often they're not very usable! I'm going to try and branch out with the challenge to share one for each day.

      Delete
  2. Kari you're an adult. I can tell these things as you have a lovely cake server! You see I am not an adult yet, as I still don't have one...but one day, one day :-)
    Lots of goodies in your kitchen of late and I'm thrilled that you loved the book as much as I did. It doesn't make me want to go riding long distances but it certainly makes me question more things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only someone had told me the definition of adulthood earlier! ;) I really did love the book Brydie and actually would quite like to cycle a long distance now as well...especially as I have birthday bike panniers that could carry all my things. I suspect that won't be happening in the near future, but in the meantime, I'm taking extra note of electricity and modern 'stuff'!

      Delete
  3. I'm about to start on a cleaning frenzy too. I have a family of five coming to stay for a couple of nights. They phoned us last night to ask if they could come. It's Carl's brother and his wife and three small children and Carl thought we couldn't say no. I thought we could! Never mind...I have all day to clean! I love the look of the licorice allsorts - they are a weakness of mine. Tend to eat too many and then there's trouble! I would love to read the book about the woman who lived on her own and built her own house although I don't think I'd want to live in any house I built! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how much of the cleaning Carl will assist with, after his inability to say no? ;) I hope the day passes productively if not in a relaxing way and the visit is fun at least!

      Like you, I suspect any house I built would be unfit for habitation but it is a nice daydream :-)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely cake server! But the liquorice box is the winner for me - I can't stand liquorice, but I suspect I'd buy that just to get my hands on the tin! :) Pukka teas are fabulous, I drink their after dinner fennel one, and your brother's gift is fabulous! Sounds like 2014 holds a great deal of excitement for you, Kari! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celia! I agree - the tin would have been worthwhile even if the contents had been shortbread (which I hate) ;) As it is, I'm glad it's something we actually like! The Pukka tea range is wonderful, I keep meaning to branch out and try different flavours but haven't managed to yet.

      Delete
  5. The scent of clean- love that.I wish you could come and do my bags for charity- there are so many things to recycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've still got a few cupboards of my own to get through, but after that...sure ;)

      Delete
  6. I had never thought seriously about cake servers until I went to a friend's house with a chocolate tart and she had one, and it made getting the pieces onto the plates SO EASY. Now I really want one! So I'm v jealous of your pretty cake server! And your red zinger tea reminds me that I should harvest some rosellas to dehydrate into my own red zinger...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're one of those simple inventions that does a really good job at what it's meant to do! I have visions of beautifully served cakes now :-) And I love that you can go and make your own tea!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful! I hope you had a good Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reading Burial Rites by Hannah Kent right now. It's incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A recommendation from you is worth taking seriously so I just looked it up - and it does sound rather good. I've marked it as to read :)

      Delete
  9. All wonderful! I love the smell of clean too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. G'day Kari! Happy New year, true!
    Hope 2014 is a good year for your family and you!
    LOVE the cat and licorice tea!
    Who enjoyed your kitchen view this month? ME! :)
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne! I hope 2014 is a great year for you too - perhaps with some liquorice tea of your own thrown in :-)

      Delete
  11. Your cake server is beautiful Kari and there are so many other goodies too! Happy new year and thanks for the peak into your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Bizzy Lizzy! I think I'll be using my cake server at any opportunity ;)

      Delete
  12. Fab tin, though I'd pass the liquorice on to my husband and keep the tin. Your photo a day challenge sounds interesting. Every year I think I'll try but I know it would end the same way as my resolution to keep a daily diary - failure by mid January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely fail at a daily diary, but my husband does do that (albeit brief and mostly factual rather than reflective)! I think having my camera out so often for blogging will help with the photos...but ask me again in mid-January ;)

      Delete
  13. Liquorice allsorts were a favourite growing up! They remind me of my Dad as he always loved them too. I now eat the Panda brand liquorice bars every now and again for a treat :) I've been enjoying fennel tea every day lately too.
    Those books sound really interesting- thanks for the recommendations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liquorice allsorts remind my of my English grandfather because he always had a huge Bassett's tin ready to share with us grandchildren :-) It's funny how memories stick around! I'll have to look out for the Panda brand when we move across - I don't think I've tried it!

      Delete
  14. oooooh a terrarium!! I had one growing up and would tend to it every day, it was such a thrill seeing it grow! You've brought back many wonderful memories for me Kari! Great IMK post xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were ahead of the game with your childhood terrarium - I only recently found out what they are!! It's great to hear you had the fun of one growing up though :)

      Delete
  15. A photo a day is good fun and stretches the imagination. Nice peek into your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A beautiful cake knife. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kari, "clean" is a wonderful scent, isn't it? Great way to start the New Year and then settle into enjoying each and every thoughtful gift. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be the best scent of all :-) Happy New Year to you too Kim!

      Delete
  18. And thanks to alerting me now, to 'Changing Gears'. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to reading throughout 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona - and I hope you enjoy Changing Gears :-)

      Delete
  19. Hello Kari-


    HI- thanks for sharing all the neat stuff in your kitchen; Love the tin and the licorice- and the terrarium is such a nice green gift from your brother! My brother once brought me 5 different varieties of hostas from his home in Oregon. He brought them dry root on the plane and they transplanted quite well here. Every spring when they come up I think fondly of him!
    Reply

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).