Thursday, January 23, 2014

Carrot cake pudding, or carrot cake ice cream (raw and vegan)

I am really very (very!) excited about this recipe. I know we're only 22 days into 2014, but right now, this is looking like a good contender for recipe of the year.

Carrot cake pudding

Why the excitement? This pudding or ice cream (it can be served either way) tastes amazingly decadent, has just three core ingredients, and packs a serve of fruit and vegetable in every bowl. It's an impressive set of credentials for a snack or dessert that takes 5 minutes to prepare.

I reached this dish through a vague desire for a carrot cake green smoothie. There are a few such recipes around. Somewhere between idea and kitchen, I changed my mind and wanted carrot cake ice cream instead. And then, after making this, I decided it could be a pudding too.

If there is one thing I could do every day for the rest of my life, it would be to compare tastes and textures of raw vegan pudding and raw vegan ice cream. Please do let me know if you hear of any job opportunities.

Carrot cake ice cream

In the end, and somewhat to my surprise, I preferred this as a pudding. It was a hard call, and I certainly wouldn't turn a bowl of the ice cream down, but the flavours seemed slightly blunted in the frozen form and not quite as sweet.

As for the three core ingredients? Frozen banana, fresh grated carrots, and coconut milk. I sprinkled some extra desiccated coconut on top, but that was it. I imagine other ingredients could make lovely additions - cinnamon or cardamom in particular - and I have included some ideas for those below. However, they are definitely optional rather than essential. These are natural, simple ingredients at their finest!

Carrot cake pudding

I may have made this dish on an unplanned whim this time, but I am quite sure that it will be appearing on a regular planned basis from now on...

Carrot cake pudding / ice cream
A raw, vegan dessert that stands up well as a pudding or ice cream. Both versions taste delicious!
Makes 2 serves.
Food processor required.


Ingredients
2 small bananas, frozen
2 medium carrots
1/4 cup regular (full-fat) canned coconut milk

Optional ingredients
Maple syrup or other sweetener, to taste (recommended if you like sweet desserts and/or if you plan to serve this chilled as ice cream)
Vanilla essence
Cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom or cloves
Desiccated coconut, for serving

Method
Grate the carrots using a food processor attachment, or by hand if necessary. 

In the large bowl of a food processor, process the grated carrots and frozen bananas until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally if needed.

Add the coconut milk and any optional ingredients to the food processor and process until the mixture is thick and reasonably smooth.

Spoon into two bowls or serving glasses. 

If serving as a pudding, chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to an hour before serving.

If serving as ice cream, freeze for approximately 1 hour, until the mixture is firm but not frozen solid.

Sprinkle with desiccated coconut before serving if desired.

Carrot cake ice cream


What is the strangest and/or best ice cream flavour you have tried?

34 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm intrigued! I do like carrots..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the feeling when you're eating something and it's just like...this is as good as it gets! I definitely want to try this...given that carrot cake is kind of my favorite thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That feeling is exactly what this conjured up...and you're right, it is pretty wonderful!

      Delete
  3. Lovely, lady! But I do hope this isn't your favourite recipe of the whole year. What a grim 2014 you'll have if it's all downhill from here! Surely England will boast some (at least) equally magical tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, good point. Perhaps I should think of this as being a contender for the top 10 of 2014 list ;)

      Delete
  4. It's amazing this has just three ingredients. It would be so refreshing with the heat we're experiencing. And I love the bowls you served it in xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - I appropriated those bowls from my Mum I think (!) and I love them too :-)

      Delete
  5. this is the sort of thing I want to like but I never was into these cold puddings as a child and am still wary of them - hence the frozen bananas waiting hopefully in the fridge that always get passed over :-( it looks lovely with those very pretty bowls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your frozen bananas are in the fridge that might be the trouble ;) Seriously, though, do you not even like standard frozen banana soft serve? I associate that far more with ice cream than puddings. If it helps, I also didn't much like cold puddings as a child but definitely loved this!

      Delete
    2. I have tried banana soft serve once - maybe twice - and it was ok but tasted a bit too much of banana - I made ice cream before new year and there is still a spoonful or two of it in the freezer because it doesn't interest me and I keep forgetting to remind e and Sylvia to eat it.

      Delete
    3. I guess a preference for non-ice cream desserts isn't the worst thing in the world :-) More room for cake!

      Delete
  6. This is really cool! I wonder if it would be nice churned as ice cream. I can see a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon. Churned pumpkin pie I guess. Looking lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have an ice cream machine then churning it would definitely be a nice way to make it even creamier!

      Delete
  7. Must say I'm a big sweet potato ice-cream fan :-) This looks equally as delicious though, it must be the colour that appeals to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, this could indeed pass for sweet potato! I think both are excellent ice cream options :-)

      Delete
  8. Ohhhh, I could eat this out of the screen!

    journeysthroughmeadows.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds delish, and is such a brilliant idea. A dessert even my naturopath would approve of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might actually be a dish that ticks the vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, whole food AND naturopath friendly boxes! ;)

      Delete
  10. This does look intriguing! This will be my breakfast tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great way to start the long weekend :-) I hope you enjoy it Kate - I have just baked your raspberry Christmas cake and can't wait to try that over the weekend!

      Delete
  11. Eating ice cream to increase your vegie consumption is a pretty fabulous plan, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting indeed! You always come up with the most creative yet simple recipes! Three ingredients? I have them all in my pantry right now. 5 minutes? I'm sure I can set aside some time ;). And I will def be on the lookout for such job opportunities hehe. I would love to be food product developer myself..that would involve tasting…everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love your enthusiastic comments Min :-) I hope you enjoy this if you find those spare 5 minutes to put it together, and yes, food product developer sounds amazing!!

      Delete
  13. This looks incredibly delicious! I think I'd go for the ice cream . . . . : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to trying it as ice cream again with some added sweetener!

      Delete
  14. I would definitely have to agree on recipe of the year here. I can not wait to try this! I'm thinking as a pudding. YUM! Please oh please share this sweet delight at Raw Foods Thursdays!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Heather - I shall do so!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Kari! I'm going to highlight this at tomorrow's event. I'm still waiting to taste it!!

      Delete
    3. Thank you!! I hope you get to taste it soon too :-)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).