Sunday, November 4, 2012

Quinoa, edamame and mango salad

After a few weeks of bypassing supermarket peaches sold for $14.99 / kg, it was exciting to see early summer produce at my local markets this morning. Peaches were available for $4.99 / kg and mangoes could be purchased for $1.49 each. Just within the realms of acceptable, particularly for November.

A fruit bowl with more than apples and pears!

With a mango begging to be used and a vague desire for quinoa, I decided to make another grain-based, fruit-sweetened, and edamame-containing salad. Today's dish gives a nod to the mango and wasabi sushi salad I ate at Giraffe restaurant in Solihull, and the strawberry containing spin off I made at home last month.


While sushi salad has a base of sticky rice, the quinoa in this dish was fluffy and light. It paired beautifully with the mango, and the mango provided just the right amount of sweetness to the salad. The chilli was subtle but enjoyable, and there was definitely no need for additional dressing.


As a bonus, I am already looking forward to the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

Quinoa, edamame and mango salad
Makes 2 large or 4 side-dish serves
Vegan


Ingredients
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups water
1 chilli, de-seeded (or to taste) and finely diced
1 cup shelled edamame beans
1 cup brocolli florets
1/4 cup bean sprouts
1/2 large or 1 small mango, chopped
1/4 cup watercress sprouts, optional


Method
Rinse the quinoa and then add to a saucepan with the 2 cups of water. Bring to the boil.

When the quinoa is boiling, reduce the heat and add the diced chilli. Simmer, covered, for 10 - 15 minutes.

While the quinoa is cooking, cook the edamame beans for 5 minutes in boiling water. Steam the brocolli for 5 minutes until just tender.

When the quinoa is cooked, add the bean sprouts, edamame beans, and brocolli. Stir through. Spoon into bowls and top with the chopped mango and watercress sprouts.



I am keen to see more summer fruit appear over the coming months (apricots! plums!), but this was a delightful re-introduction to the summer produce I love so much, and a perfect lunch for what has been actually been a rainy, rather than summery, Sunday.

I'm submitting this to Ricki's Wellness Weekend for the 8th to 12th November 2012.

What do you think of fruit in quinoa / rice dishes?
And for my fellow Australians - have you found much summer fruit yet?

24 comments:

  1. I have never had fruit in quinoa, but I find that you can mix it with just about anything and it still taste wonderful! :)
    With the winter months ahead of us here in the US, it will be nice to see summer play out on your blog! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a funny time of year, with your dishes getting more and more wintery and ours going in the other direction :) I seem to notice it less during our winter, perhaps because we don't get all that cold here and so still eat quite summery meals sometimes.

      Delete
  2. Oh, looks so summery! Whereas we'll be lucky if it reaches above freezing point here today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. I'd send you some but I think you'd rather the sunshine and neither mango nor sun travel very well by post...

      Delete
  3. No mangoes here at the moment but as spring heats up I dare say we will get some eventually...looking forwards to cherry season here though and stone fruit season will hopefully be a good one if our backyard nectarine tree is anything to go by :) I haven't tried quinoa yet...it's sitting in the back of the freezer as I have no idea how to prepare it! I read that you have to wash it or something...guess I had best let my fingers do the walking and find out how to prepare/cook it so that I can try it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherry season never really reaches here - but I love it for the few weeks that they come down enough in price to be affordable!

      Quinoa can be cooked just like rice so it's probably less intimidating than you think :) The rinsing is recommended pre-cooking because it can be a bit bitter if you don't, but I have found it works ok without rinsing too.

      Delete
  4. this looks great! i'm usually more of a savory salad person except for a spicy mango salad at a thai restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I wish I'd thought of spicy Thai mango salad when making this, because then I'd have amped up the spice and thrown in coriander! Next time :)

      Delete
  5. Your Farmers Market certainly is selling fruit at fantastic prices. I have only been able to source these wonderful fruits at the prices you first mentioned and that makes them just too expensive. I love a mango salad such as this. What wonderful flavours xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My market ('my' being a royal 'my', rather than anything more grandiose ;) ) seems to have some products on special far earlier than prices come down for the rest of the summer stock. It's rotating, too, so next week it might be quite different - it makes for a surprise each week!

      Delete
  6. I love this dish!
    The ingredients are so fresh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's my kind of salad! What a delicious mix of yummy ingredients :) I always keep a bag of edamame beans in the freezer to boil up, sprinkle with salt and snack on. :) yummm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love edamame beans straight up for snacking too :) They are just so delicious!

      Delete
  8. What a faulous salad! I adore mangoes, and I am so happy that they are back in season - though it seems they are cheaper in Perth than in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're still quite expensive in the main supermarkets, but definitely getting cheaper at the local markets - to my delight. I hope yours come down in price soon too so you can share in the enjoyment!

      Delete
  9. I can't wait for summer fruit - was excited enough to buy some nectarines for $10 a kilo - the first couple were lovely but the second lot I bought are just rock hard and sour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That's always a horrible experience but more so when you're paying early season prices - I'm glad you got one good lot at least.

      Delete
  10. YUMMO! I love mangoes.... so so amazing. When I was pregnant I HAD to have a whole one EVERY DAY without fail. I love mango & avocado in salads.... great for Summer BBQs - I am sure I would love this recipe, Kari - the addition of Watercress would give it such a lovely BITE.

    I am sloooowly introducing smallish amounts of fruit back into my diet, so perhaps I shall sample some of the new season mangoes soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope so Lou! I feel so sad thinking of you living without fruit :P I can sort of get my head around the white sugars and so on, but life without fruit is hard for me to grasp.

      Delete
  11. This looks healthy and delicious! Do you mind if I re-post this on my mango blog? http://www.ilovemangoes.com

    ReplyDelete

  12. Various cooking class is available hear ,you can learn various cooking style by reading this book .Really I am very much benefited to purchase this book ,some days ago I was very helpless in my kitchen, I can’t prepare my daily meal but now i prepared daily meal without any problem and reduse the time, I make my food solution ,so suggest you to collect this book hear,you can see about this book
    Please visit this link
    http://www.facepack.in?a_aid=shuvo701

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).