Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanks giving and a kale salad with strawberries and chickpeas

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia, but my perusal of American blogs has ensured that I know it is happening. I can't say I pine for it to be introduced here (it falls so close to Christmas!) but I do very much like the concept of pausing to give thanks for people and things, both big and small.

You see, there isn't a day that passes at the moment where I don't feel thankful for my life. This doesn't mean that I am always happy, or that my life is perfect. I have my share of bad days. However, even on those days, I am grateful for what I have.

Kale salad with strawberries and chickpeas

Watching Mr Bite sleep in the morning, coming home to a note from him, reading a text or email with his characteristic humour, or just watching TV together in the evening - I am hugely thankful for the turn my life has taken and for finding the person who makes me feel complete.

Shutting the door to my Workplace #1 office and immersing myself in work with a cup of coffee, room to myself, tree-lined views out my window - I am thankful for a work environment that lets me do what I want to do, in a space that is set up to facilitate that.

(Workplace #2 doesn't give me my own office, but I still have a window, so I can be thankful for that too.)

Having tea with my parents, and siblings when they deign to join us, catching up on the week and talking about the past, present and future - I am thankful for family who are a 15 minute drive from me and who I enjoy talking to and spending time with.

Chatting to work colleagues or catching up with friends for a coffee - I am thankful to have people who 'get' me and share my interests, and who I can talk to easily even if there have been months between our conversations.

Reading a good book, drinking tea and coffee, enjoying chocolate or a new supermarket discovery - I am thankful for the small things that give me such pleasure.

A long run, a good workout in the gym, or a new level in strength or stamina - I am thankful for what my body can do and for the joy that I get from movement.

Blogs that make me smile, inspire me, or give me new ideas to try - and blog comments that go back and forth and forge relationships across the country and the world - I am thankful for the online world and what it facilitates.

Im all, I am very thankful.


Today's recipe is a simple one, but it seems to suit the spin I am putting on thanksgiving: pausing to appreciate the little things, to live life a little more fully, and to enjoy what is good. This salad has a short ingredient list, it works well by itself or rolled in a wrap, and it is good. The fact that it is good for you too is a bonus.


Kale salad with strawberries and chickpeas
Easy, simple, and full of nutrition and flavour
Vegan
Serves 4 as a side dish


Ingredients
1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp maple syrup
10 strawberries, washed, stems removed and cut into quarters
6 cups kale, rinsed in hot water and hard stems removed
1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (1 tin)


Method
Combine the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup in a bowl or shallow dish. 

Take 2 or 3 of the strawberries, cut into quarters, and press with a fork into the vinegar / maple syrup. The idea is to release the strawberry juices and crush them roughly; they can retain some of their shape.

Pour the balsamic dressing mixture over the kale and toss to combine. Use your fingers to work the dressing through the kale. Allow to stand for 15 minutes or longer.

Add the chickpeas and remaining strawberries and serve. 

In theory, I don't like salad dressings on salads, but kale salads have proved to be an exception. I like it best when the kale has sat in the dressing for a while (even overnight or for several days), absorbing the flavour and also softening slightly. Here, the chickpeas and strawberries add extra flavour and sweetness and turn a simple dish into something very enjoyable.


Happy Thanksgiving to you, American or non-American.

What are you thankful for this week?
If you are American, what are you doing to celebrate the holiday?

22 comments:

  1. Yum! Tylers parents are American so we are doing Thanksgiving here but on the 2nd. It's pretty weird for me but I find any holiday is fun!. I have only just discovered that our supermarkets are starting to sell Kale in bags. So damn convenient. I am thankful for family and their patience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I haven't seen kale in bags yet. That's the sort of thing in theory I think I don't need but in reality it is really, really handy when you're short of time!

      Delete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving Kari, that is a lovely list. And it must be in the water because I just blogged on my list of things I'm thankful for. I think it can be summed up in that I'm thankful for my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your list too Lisa - and summing things up as being thankful for life is a lovely place to be. I feel the same.

      Delete
  3. Lovely, lovely post, Kari - even though we don't celebrate "officially" it's so nice to pause, reflect and give thanks for the truly wonderful lives we have been blessed with. I think in Australia, in particular, we are SO lucky - best country in the world in my opinion :)

    Gorgeous salad too - simple, elegant, tasty - love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly a lucky country, that is for sure :-) Thank you Lou - I'm glad this resonated for you too.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this wonderful post Kari, it cheered me up on a day when I was feeling a bit grumpy and changed my negative thoughts into a more positive mindset!

    I've been enjoying a female blackbird sitting on her nest just outside my study window this week so I'm thankful that I am able to work in a pleasant environment even though my work is often dull.

    The salad looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have days like that too so am glad I could pull you out of the grumps a bit!

      I do find that birds go a long way to improving work days (and moments of boredom) - having a nest in the mix sounds pretty special.

      Delete
  5. Love your list Kari!! This salad looks delicious too - an antioxidant power house with the strawberries too! Never would have thought to combine the two, but now I'll have to give it a try xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love putting fruit in salads - I think it is my sweet tooth! Strawberries are particularly versatile :)

      Delete
  6. This is such a sweet sweet post. You are such a lovely person! Happy Thanksgiving! When I first moved to the States, I was rather confused by this holiday. I thought, so it's just a day to stuff yourself? And when the day draws near, that's what immediately comes to my mind to this day. However, you are absolutely right! This day is about giving thanks and reflecting on all the things that I have been blessed with. It's so awesome that you live so close to your family! I hope to someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Min! I hope you can live close to your family too someday - I am sure I won't be so close to mine forever but it is a luxury.

      Delete
  7. I think the idea of thanksgiving is interesting - never understood it much until I started blogging and then most of the pieces began to fall into place for me. It is not a celebration that I yearn for either (unless I am watching a movie where it looks so gorgeous) because I love christmas. But what I still don't understand is who we are giving thanks to - any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, that is a good point! I wonder if religion plays a greater role in America? Some greater being? For me, I think the process of reflecting on the things I'm thankful for makes me feel more settled, so I'll go with silent thankfulness as my answer ;)

      Delete
  8. Great post Kari! I'd say you have one of the best Thanksgiving posts I've seen :)

    Love your section about the small things that you are thankful for, your items are very similar to mine and I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that enjoys finding new supermarket items! Just this week I discovered carnival squash at the store and have already bought 8 of them to make!

    I'm celebrating the holiday with NutriDude and his family. Luckily his parents are vegan too so we'll have an entire vegan (and gluten-free) Thanksgiving lunch today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Thanksgiving plans sound wonderful! What a fantastic set up to have others share in your vegan eating preferences. I hope you have a wonderful time :)

      Also, I too am glad that others share the supermarket excitement buzz - I'll look forward to your squash recipes / outcomes!

      Delete
  9. Such beautiful things to be thankful for, and so many things that align with my own soul, either in reality or in dreams. Gorgeous Christmas-coloured salad, too. Bridging the gap between holidays, mayhaps? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you mention it, mayhaps indeed :) Christmas is starting to be on my mind given the count downs that seem to be everywhere (and the inevitable shopping centre decorations, which are finally starting to feel appropriate after weeks of seeming not).

      I hope your dreamed beautiful things come to fruition soon xox

      Delete
  10. What a lovely post. It's a shame we don't celebrate Thanksgiving here in Australia but like you say, that shouldn't stop us from being thankful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm thankful that my belly is still full of Thanksgiving dinner and my fridge is full of leftovers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound like a good combination :-)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).