Friday, November 30, 2012

In my kitchen - November 2012

I have decided, two months short of the end of the year, to abandon my "What I've Enjoyed This Month" posts and instead continue with Cityhippyfarmgirl's "Loving This Week" initiative, which falls on the last Sunday of the month. Doing both seems a tad repetitive and this way I can allocate my end-of-month post to Celia's "In My Kitchen" event. This is a lovely initiative hosted by Celia at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial, which gives a peek into other people's kitchens.

So...

In my kitchen this month...

There have been signs of summer, with icy smoothies and grilling for dinner.

Hemp seed milk, frozen raspberries, spinach and mint

I could do this in winter,  but for some reason I don't

There was a very odd lolly foot, given to Mr Bite after Halloween by one of his nieces.


There have been roasted chickpeas flavoured with Sicilian herbs and garlic (a delightful mix).


I just wish these got less seasoning on my fingers. They are very messy to eat whilst working.


There have been baking trays from my late grandmother, after the inevitable sorting out of my grandparent's old house. I haven't been able to bring myself to use the trays yet, but they are very special to have.


There have been artichokes, on pizza and in other forms, after many delicious artichoke experiences in Europe. I haven't managed to recreate the deliciousness at home yet, so I sense they won't be featuring in future months. The fresh ones intimidate me and the tinned ones are, well, tinned.

Finding the artichoke amongst the pineapple is a tricky task - but it is there

There has been broken glass. I found myself on another breakage streak, resulting in three broken things this month. One of the breakages was a sweet chilli sauce jar, which was nearly empty but (crucially) not quite. Glass and sticky sauce are a challenge I hope I don't meet again for some time.

There has been coconut water, my first and I suspect my last. I found this so disgusting I couldn't finish the pack! I think this is one trend I won't be following (perhaps for the best, given cost).


And of course, there has been a whole heap of non-dairy ice cream.



I am linking this in to Celia's In My Kitchen event for November 2012.

What has been happening in your kitchen lately?

33 comments:

  1. Oh my god, aren't chic nuts the best? Addictive. Love your positivity.. throw some my way please. By the way, you won the $50 voucher! Come on over and collect :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again, such an exciting add on to my Friday :)

      Sending you all the positivity you can handle xo

      Delete
  2. I don't like coconut water either and what astounds me is that I'm seeing it everywhere. I love your grandmother's old trays. I've never seen a foot lolly before. I often like to have snacks beside me when I work on my computer but like you say, it can get messy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can indeed! I believe the facts that suggest keyboards are the dirtiest places in the house. And yet, I still eat near mine :P

      Delete
  3. Am glad you are doing in my kitchen posts - it has taken me a while to appreciate just how good they are. I found the foot amusing and the photo of the tray very touching. I love those chicknuts just salted but don't think I have tried the sicilian. My worst snacks for messiness are red capsicum strips which left my keyboard looking rather red - you would think fresh veg could be neat and clean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think that, yes! How unfortunate. I hadn't seen the sicilian flavour until recently either - I am still trying to figure out if they're new or just re-packaged.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I fell in love with those chicnuts back when I was something like 14. They've changed the packaging about a million times since then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen / tried the Sicilian flavour? I am not sure if it's replaced their tomato and basil flavour or if it's new (new packaging at least; as you say it changes so often!).

      Delete
    2. I'm pretty sure the Sicilian was the one that they had waaaay back at the beginning, when they came in glass jars. (I miss those jars.)

      Delete
    3. I guess everything comes in cycles! I miss the jars too, although seem to remember them being plastic. Perhaps the glass ones came first? I may have missed them altogether.

      Delete
    4. Definitely glass when I was a teen. I remember, even then, thinking "how can they afford this?!"

      Delete
    5. Clearly by the time I discovered them, they couldn't ;)

      Delete
  5. I used to snack on those chicnuts regularly but haven't for years! Coconut water doesn't sound appealing to me even it if does have great health benefits, I'm sure I wouldn't like it. How lovely to have your grandmothers baking trays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would recommend skipping over it. I wish I had because the taste has lingered in my memory and it isn't pleasant!

      Delete
  6. I reckon coconut water tastes like the juice in canned fruit salad. I don't like it much either - unless it is mixed with another juice like lime or something. It's so sickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Sort of sweet but not sweet and thick but thin and just, ugh.

      Delete
  7. You are very lucky to have your grandma's trays. They will certainly come in handy. Treasure them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love coconut water. When it has been chilled and then drunk STRAIGHT FROM THE COCONUT it is the most refreshing drink you can have on a hot day. I have never tried the processed coconut drinks, and apparently they lack most of the nutrients and hence health benefits that you get from drinking fresh coconut water. And from what you've said Kari, the processed drinks also lack flavour. Give the fresh coconuts a go.
    Jakki

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Grandmother's trays. I have a similar batch of my mother's and although I don't use them a lot- I enjoy rummaging about the tray and baking pan cupboard just to reminisce a little.
    I enjoyed your post- thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Heidi Annie! It's lovely how certain objects facilitate reminiscing and I think the trays will be in that category for sure. I'm glad you enjoy your mother's too.

      Delete
  10. I fell in love with those chic nuts while we were in Australia. They were so yummy!

    I'm with you on the coconut water, I tried some Zico Coconut Water and hated it. I did just make a cocktail with the leftover juice from a full fat coconut milk can I used for whipped topping (you only use the cream part in the topping) and that water/juice was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness others agree re. coconut water :) That is a great idea for whipped topping instead!

      Delete
  11. ooh- wish I had that ice cream in my kitchen right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the peek inside your kitchen. The chickpeas look good, I am up for those - messy fingers and all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love roasted chickpeas but have never seen these chick nuts here in Australia. I try to by unsweetened coconut water and then use it for dressings or to add to cakes , stocks and poaching stuff . ( just thought you might be interested). Happy December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am interested - thank you! I think it might work well in those forms.

      Happy December to you too, and thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  14. Kari, thanks for playing, it's lovely to take a peek into your kitchen! I love the crunchy chick peas - my tip is to eat them with a spoon (which is what I do with bhuja mix!). The baking trays are indeed a treasure. And I'm sorry to hear you've been breaking things - I go through patches like that too. I'm sure it's to do with phases of the moon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so - it would give me hope that I am indeed done with breakages now ;) I love the idea of a spoon for the chick peas, I will definitely try that next time.

      Thanks for hosting :-)

      Delete
  15. I enjoyed having a peek into your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).