Friday, November 9, 2012

Avocado scones with hemp seeds

HVFButtonFont5

After my repeat efforts at making cherry scones last month, I got myself on a bit of a scone roll. Unusually for me, I also branched out to try savoury scones, prompted by a desire to try avocado in the baking process instead of non-dairy spread or butter. I wasn't sure if fruit scones with avocado would work very well, so savoury scones it was.

Green scones!

The avocado gave the scones a lighter and fluffier texture than the Nuttelex I'd usually use, and I was thrilled that the green colour came through. I am not sure if you would serve green scones at a dainty high tea, but they were certainly fun to make and to eat. The experience also confirmed my belief that while I don't like avocado in plain form, I do love it in desserts and baked goods.

Complementing the avocado were hemp seeds and nutritional yeast, giving a simple but effective ingredient list. I think some mustard would work too if that is your sort of thing. These had a relatively mild taste that I liked plain or with vegemite or hummus, but if you wanted something sharper then adding mustard or more nutritional yeast should achieve that.

Avocado scones with hemp seeds
Makes 6 - 8 scones
Vegan


Ingredients
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup non-dairy milk
1 small avocado (100g with skin and stone)
1 cup self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1/4 cup nutritional yeast

Method
Preheat your oven to 220'C and line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.

Combine the vinegar and non-dairy milk and set aside to curdle.

Peel and roughly chop the avocado. Place in a large bowl and add the flour and baking soda. Rub together with your fingers until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the hemp seeds, nutritional yeast and vinegar-milk mix. Stir until just combined and then knead to form a soft dough.

Roll the dough out lightly on a floured surface, to ~2cm thickness. Cut out rounds using the top of a glass dipped in flour or a cookie cutter, and place on the prepared baking tray.

Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.


Now that I have branched out, I think I'll be making savoury scones again. But now that I have tried avocado in scone form, I am also thinking that avocado fruit scones weren't such a bad idea after all...

I am linking this post into the Healthy Vegan Friday event hosted by Gabby, Shelby and Carrie.

Have you done much baking with avocado? Or do you have any favourite savoury scone variations?

22 comments:

  1. I have yet to use the avocado in my baked goods but it is such a genius idea as a healthy fat alternative. I love your combination with the hemp seed, very earthy! I have made rosemary and lemon muffins, very good. This weekend I wan to tmake a parsnip and coconut cupcake...not savory but a twis on ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, parsnip and coconut cupcakes sound wonderful - please post after you make them :) I love the idea of rosemary and lemon muffins too!

      Delete
  2. Green scones - how exciting! I must try these - though my hemp seed stash has run out and I am wondering whether to replenish. I have baked with avocado in sweet cakes but apart from some tortillas I haven't ever thought of it in savoury baking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either, but I think I've unleashed a green frenzy now ;)

      Delete
  3. Very cool idea for scones Kari! Avocado in baked goods is awesome isn't it? I bet these would be awesome dipped into a soup or stew :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabby! And yes, I think they would be perfect for soup or stew :)

      Delete
  4. When I make scones I usually make sweet because I'm planning on serving them with jam and cream. I haven't made too many of the savoury variety and this is certainly an interesting flavour. I'd love to try these. I'm sure the avocado would give the scones a creaminess xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually go with the sweet sort too - as with most things I make actually! The avocado is super creamy though, and also fluffy, which I really did enjoy.

      Delete
  5. This is a neat idea! I've been trying to incorporate healthy fats into my snacks so this is great! I'd been deathly afraid of ALL kinds of fat, and I had convinced myself that avocado is yucky! Now, I enjoy it almost everyday ;). That's the power of the mind for ya! You know, I've NEVER baked with it, but I bet its smooth and creamy texture will work wonderfully! I usually just make guacamole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't like it straight up (maybe one day my taste buds will grow up?!) which means I have never made guacamole...but now you've discovered you enjoy it (which is so great!) I would definitely recommend baking with it. It really is fantastic :)

      Delete
  6. I LOVE turning baked goods green with avocado!! It's such an eye-opener...and always turns out deliciously! These look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne! I have never baked with it before but will definitely be doing so again now.

      Delete
  7. Well, avocado is a fruit, so I definitely think that would work. This looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make me smile that I could make avocado and tomato scones and they would technically be fruit. But of course you're right, and I'm sure avocado would work a lot better in fruit scones than tomatoes!

      Delete
  8. Hey hey, I am all up for green scones! A nice twist to an old fave. In case you miss my reply, the gorgeous teatowels can be bought online at http://www.rodriguez.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the link - I really appreciate it! Glad you like the green scones too.

      Delete
  9. How creative! I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to incorporate some avocado's! They aren't my favorite (it's a texture thing), but I love find ways to get them in my diet.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the look of them Brandi - I am just the same, in that I don't like avocados plain (although for me it is taste as well as texture!) so I like new ways to use them.

      Delete
  11. Yummo! These look amazing - I'm sure they would be absolutely delicious - I like your idea of a vegemite or hummus topping. I can't believe you don't like avocados plain!!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).