Sunday, November 18, 2012

So Delicious ice cream comes to Australia

People, I am very excited.


Overwhelmed, slight hyperventilation (okay, a lot of hyperventilation), buy-as-much-as-you-can-in-case-they-disappear excited.

Farmer Jack's in Subiaco has become, without a doubt, my favourite supermarket in Perth. It is expensive, but it stocks so many wonderful things. It is the store that provided me with So Delicious no added sugar coconut milk (and Pacific hazelenut chocolate milk) last year. Those discoveries led to quite a bit of excitement too, and every time I've been back, I've walked the freezer aisle in the hope that one day So Delicious ice cream might appear as well.

Yesterday, that day came. It seems my sympathetic nervous system wasn't prepared for it.

As the above picture shows, I bought rather a lot. There were more flavours, too, but thankfully I wasn't carrying a basket or pushing a trolley. I wasn't in a restrained mood, and given how much these products cost, I think it's for the best that I only bought what I could pile into my arms.


The turtle trails coconut milk ice cream was one of a number of flavours on offer (including chocolate, cookies and cream, and mango), but won out quite easily. I had heard of turtle trails ice cream via American sites, but never actually seen it before.


It has a base of vanilla coconut ice cream, and incorporates caramel sauce and chocolate-coated praline pecans.

Yes, it tastes as good as it sounds.


It is rich, sweet, and entirely decadent. The recommended serve is half a cup and I can see why; in fact, I think a quarter cup would go a long way.


The mini coconut milk ice cream sandwiches were also rich, but by virtue of their smaller size not overwhelmingly so. The centre was creamy and oh-so-coconutty. Wonderfully coconutty. The chocolate biscuit edges were soft, sweet and very reminiscent of the non-vegan ice cream sandwiches of my youth.


I liked them a lot. A little sweet, perhaps, but manageably so.


The mini almond milk bars were a serious highlight. I have long suspected that I would enjoy almond milk ice cream, more so than coconut ice cream, and it seems I was correct.


These bars had an ice cream centre that was less sweet and less rich than the coconut ice cream products, and I would happily have bought a full tub of it had such an option been available. Having the ice cream in bar form worked well too though, and the chocolate coating tasted entirely authentic despite being dairy free.

My last purchase, the no sugar added coconut milk vanilla bar, is yet to be tried. I could have waited to post this, but my excitement levels are such that I didn't have the patience. I am also striving for moderation in my consumption of these, because they cost about $15 a box (!). So, I can't offer an opinion on the taste, but I am hopeful indeed.


None of these products are low in energy, and they have lengthy ingredient lists (all nutritional information is on the So Delicious website so I am not re-posting it all here). They are probably a little sweeter than my taste buds would like, and a little creamier. However, as a vegan ice cream treat they work perfectly and I am beyond thrilled, really incredibly thrilled, that they have reached my vicinity.

What was the last supermarket discovery that got you excited?


42 comments:

  1. Oooh, I would definitely go the turtle trails. I haven't been excited by a supermarket find for a while. Biscoff spread would be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would indeed! I have never seen that in person but imagine I would enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. I WISH that we could get them here in Tasmania BUT vegans are considered in the same vein as fairies, pixies, Father Christmas and the Easter Bunny, we don't exist! No vegan icecream for me :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they literally just made it to WA in the last 2 weeks, so I wouldn't give up hope yet! They're not in our mainstream supermarkets either, and I'm not sure if they'll make it into those.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That is awesome! I haven't seen this around us anywhere lately but I'll have to keep a look out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nom nom nom, these look delicious!! Definitely going to keep an eye out in the freezer section :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love So Delicious!! Everything looks so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad your positive thinking worked - must look out for this as would love to try it - though we are trying not to buy much before our trip so I hope I don't find it too soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a challenge if you found this before departing - I wonder if your self-control would be better than mine and allow you to wait! Perhaps don't look too hard until after you're back :)

      Delete
  7. Hey, you also saw that Turtle Trails ice cream on my site, and I ain't American! Teehee! But are you serious, a quarter cup? I ate it in two sittings, and the mint chocolate chip in one ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. American sites and one, wonderful Australian-in-America's site ;)

      I am very impressed with your two / one sitting eating skills! Perhaps your peanut butter practice gave you an advantage? :P It is one of life's minor mysteries that I can eat blocks of chocolate (amongst other things) with no problem at all, but certain creamy products lead my stomach to say 'stop' relatively quickly. I think the fact this is so authentic (in that it tastes like dairy ice cream) might have something to do with it too.

      Delete
    2. Excuses, excuses. I also find it amusing that you're taking the time to justify why you don't binge-eat like I do ;)

      Delete
  8. Yum! I will have to look for these closer in the grocery bc I don't recall seeing them as just as of last night I was looking specifically at SO products! I live how the coconut milk sandwiches are portion controlled b/c your are right, that 1/2 cup of container ice cream can go a loooong way! Good for a healthy indulgence though! Thanks for sharing, I will keep my eyes pealed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do look out for them - they are pretty fantastic if you want a treat :)

      Delete
  9. That's great news. I will try to find out where I can get these in Sydney. I would love to try them. If I do track them down I'll let you know what price we pay for them xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do, Charlie, although I will be most annoyed if your price is half of ours!!

      Delete
  10. Yay, I'll have to keep an eye out for these products! I can imagine that the ice cream sandwiches would be very popular with my guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they would - they taste exactly like non-vegan ones, except for coconut flavour in the ice cream (and even that might be avoided if you bought the vanilla flavour of them, also on offer where I was, instead of the coconut variety). I'm hopeful for more and more products now too!

      Delete
  11. I love ice cream!!! I have never seen ice cream made with coconut milk where I live, but I haven't been looking for it either. The Turtle Trails sounds amazing! I will need to see if I can find something similar in the states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment made me smile because I am so used to eyeing off products in the states that aren't available here, and this must be the first time ever the situation has been reversed ;) I know you do have them in the US, so hopefully you can find some near you!

      Delete
  12. ARGH!! Kari where can I get these from in Sydney? EEK!!! I love it when we can get stuff that the rest of the world brags about :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Cass :) And Meg below suggests About Life in Sydney!

      Delete
  13. THESE ARE AMAZING! they sell them at about life in sydney!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't seen them up in Queensland but then I haven't really looked. I'll give the shops a look see and give it a try myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you do find them Maureen - and if you like them :)

      Delete
  15. Would you believe I have NEVER tried these even though they are super readily available here?? Need to change that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly do! I do find it funny how much I pine for these exotic American snacks and then I hear of Americans who haven't tried them ;)

      Delete
  16. gah! So exciting. I've had their coconut milk but not their ice-cream. Want to try!
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can find them Heidi! It was an exciting discovery indeed :)

      Delete
  17. Thanks so much for stopping by Cyndie! I'm delighted to discover your blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooooo YAY - I've tried the Vanilla tub, and the Coconut Minis with flaked almonds.... but I would LOVE to try the almond milk ice cream variety - sounds amazing.

    Oh man I'm drooling at the thought now. Bah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee, sorry about the drooling :P But yes, seek out the almond milk ones! I am hoping we get whole tubs of them soon :-)

      Delete
  19. It's crazy but I've actually never tried the So Delicious brand of ice creams, I know insane! I actually prefer hemp seed pint ice creams because I tend to have problems with the coconut milk and the high fat content. I always forget that they are now making almond milk frozen treats so I'll have to pick some of those up next time I see them.

    Glad to hear you have finally found them by you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I found hemp seed ice cream I would actually die of excitement :P

      Delete
  20. Have you seen the no sugar added icecreams anywhere in Australia? I know they're available in the US, but I've only seen the standard So Delicious sugary ones in stores here.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).