Sunday, November 25, 2012

England - Birmingham and Solihull

It is with a certain amount of sadness that I write this post. It is, you see, the last 'real' travel post from our honeymoon. There will be one more food catch-up post at some stage, but Birmingham was our last stop for the month we were away.

Birmingham museum and city council

We drove to Birmingham from Durham, and in so doing transitioned from the north of England where I was born to the Midlands where Mr Bite grew up. His childhood was spent in Solihull, which is just south of Birmingham and has been mentioned previously for the Giraffe restaurant and sushi salad that characterised our final lunchtime.

Birmingham town hall

I had never been to Birmingham and didn't know what to expect from the city. I knew it was big, the second largest city in England (after London), and that it had an industrial history. Mr Bite did his best to keep my hopes low. As it turns out, the city has undergone one of the regenerative experiences that can be found all over Britain. The central district was clean and attractive, and modern buildings and shopping centres were integrated seamlessly into older areas. It was a lovely city to walk around.


Bullring shopping centre precinct

The weather was grey and rainy while we were there, but I found a coffee shop selling chilli chai latte about 10 minutes into our first outing. I don't think there could be a better drink for cold days, and it went a long way to warming both my hands and my impression of Birmingham!

The Birmingham canals are a new focus for the city, and one that Mr Bite was keen to investigate. The canal system has been in place since the 18th century but wasn't easily accessible, or widely known about, until the canals were redeveloped and made a feature from the mid-1990s. The result is a waterway system that is enjoyable to walk along, and which forms an attractive part of the central city area.

Canals by night

We had one day in Birmingham itself and a second day in Solihull and surrounds, which I touched on previously. I had imagined Solihull as a suburb of Birmingham and to find that it was a stand alone town, attractive and pleasant, was a very pleasant surprise.

Solihull town centre

Our day in Solihull also incorporated a visit to Baddesly Clinton manor house, a National Trust property dating back to the 15th century.

Baddesly Clinton

I think I'd like a house with a moat. In fact, I think I'd like it very much indeed.


The house and gardens provided a nice final 'attraction' for our trip. We toured the property on the final afternoon of our final day, which made for a slightly surreal experience ("this time tomorrow..."), especially as  the woman who sold us our tickets asked (a) if we were interested in an annual National Trust membership, and on hearing why we weren't, (b) how one coped on such a terribly long flight as the one from England to Australia.


Putting aside the impending terribly long flight, that final afternoon also saw us squeeze in a brief stop at Kenilworth Castle. This is one of Mr Bite's favourite ruined castles, which allows for independent exploring and climbing on the walls. We only saw the outside on this trip but it was an attractive sight against the late afternoon sunshine.


In all, Birmingham and surrounds provided a wonderful end to a wonderful month. It is hard to believe that it is not quite two months since we were there, but I am certainly grateful for the trip and the many memories (and photos, so many photos) we have from it.

What is your favourite way to warm up when walking in the cold?
And have you been to Birmingham?

19 comments:

  1. Chilli chai latte?! Sounds wonderful! I can see how that would be so amazing in a cold place. I had a lot of plain chai latte when I was in Manchester. They were good for warming up hands and faces :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Manchester but imagine it would also benefit from warmth! And I have also found that regular chai lattes do suffice when the chilli ones aren't available :)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful honeymoon though and It was great to get to live it vicariously through your camera lens, thanks for sharing that :) I like a dirty chai, a shot of espresso in the hot chai, on of my favs! Also nice wool mittens a must in the cold! Have a super weekend and thanks for sharing all your lovely photos and adventure in your journey. It was very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teri, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I also love the idea of coffee in chai - what a great idea. I will have to try that.

      I did have gloves throughout our time in England but find that my hands manage to be cold even with gloves on :P

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful place to end your trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know Birmingham is the second largest city in England. What a grey day! I love the look of the house with the moat. Does someone really live there? And yes, how do we cope with the long-haul flights we have to endure coming from this part of the world! I've loved your honeymoon posts, Kari xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Charlie - I'm so glad others have enjoyed them as I certainly enjoyed writing them!

      The family that did live at Baddesly Clinton signed it over to the National Trust some time back, so it's not lived in now. It was for many years though and also provided a hiding spot for Catholic priests during the years of religious persecution. I'm sure the moat helped with that!

      Delete
  5. Birmingham looks amazing!! I love the look of that library! That is the neatest thing. :)
    I have never been, but after seeing these pictures, it is definitely on my list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really pleasant surprise - the new buildings were all very impressive! Someone said to me that the library looks like a cake and I think it does :)

      Delete
  6. You are only allowed a moat if you fill it with mermaids. Promise me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you insist. Mermaids and ducks though, ok?

      Delete
  7. I have a friend who is obsessed with moats. At some point in the future I fully expect her to have a house with one.

    Cold seems so remote in the sudden burst of summer we are having but I normally love to seek out a hot cup of tea. It warms your hands, body and soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope she does! And that you get to visit :-)

      I have been noting your weather with interest. It is HOT in Canberra at the moment!

      Delete
  8. good to hear a positive reflection on birmingham - I have only ever travelled through spaghetti junction (is that the right term) and heard people at work in London being rude about the accent. Moats and ruins and friendly national trust ladies sounds very appealing (even if not birmingham proper)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, spaghetti junction was playing on my mind as we approached! I think I was so worried about it wasn't as bad as I'd feared (as is so often the way). I am not very fond of the accent but was quite enamored with everything else.

      Delete
  9. I have never been to Birmingham, but I love your photos, especially of the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The library was quite impressive - I wish we could have gone in.

      Delete
  10. Great deliver Undoubtedly. Thank you associated with dealing with.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).