Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thai style veggie patties (#2)

Earlier this year, I posted a recipe for vegetarian Thai 'fish' cakes. They included potato, butter beans, breadcrumbs, sweet chilli sauce, coriander, lemon and fresh ginger, amongst other things. Mel of Veganise This! subsequently made a (much neater) version of the patties using potato, chickpeas, breadcrumbs, fresh chilli, coriander, lime and fresh ginger, again amongst other things.

Today's recipe is really a twist on those patties from earlier in the year. The ingredient list is a little different, but not dramatically so. However, it is different enough to need documenting - at least for someone with my poor memory for what I put into dishes! - and so we have this post.


One of the biggest changes in this version is the omission of potatoes. Instead, I used oats. Oats in veggie patties may not be for everyone but they are something I enjoy - and they have the added bonus of avoiding potato peeling and cooking (does anyone else find that easy task surprisingly aversive?). I also added grated zucchini, used chia seeds instead of egg replacer, and like Mel used lime instead of lemon for flavouring. The result was a similar pattie but one that was clearly not the same as version 1.

Thai style veggie patties, #2
Vegan
Makes about 16 patties


Ingredients
1 1/2 cups cooked and drained butter beans (or chickpeas) (a 400g tin if using tinned)

1 tbsp chia seeds, soaked in 1/2 cup water for at least 15 minutes

1/2 cup grated zucchini (about 1/2 small zucchini)
1 stick celery, finely chopped
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tsp lime juice
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce (or use 1 small fresh chilli and 1/2 tsp brown sugar, if desired)
1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
1/4 cup fresh coriander, chopped finely

Method
Combine the chia seeds and water and set aside.

In a large bowl, roughly mash the cooked butter beans. You can leave some whole. Mel noted that a food processor was an easier alternative if using chickpeas.

Squeeze any excess moisture out of your grated zucchini using paper towels or a teatowel. Then add the zucchini, chia seeds in water, and chopped celery to the butter bean mix. Stir through. Add the remaining ingredients and stir through thoroughly.

Shape the mixture into small patties using your hands and place on a plate or baking tray. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for 15 - 30 minutes.

Heat a non-stick frying pan and cook the patties in batches, 3 - 4 minutes on each side, until browned.

I tend to keep the cooked patties warm in the oven (preheated to ~100'C) while the remaining patties are cooked, but this is optional.

 

These were less of an 'authentic' Thai fish cake (if any vegetarian dish can be called authentically fish-like) than the first batch, largely due to the omission of the potato. Instead, these seemed like what they are - a Thai-flavoured veggie pattie. I enjoyed them hot the first night and also cold as leftovers the next day. They pair well with Asian vegetables but regular salad also works, or they could even provide a burger filling.

In all, these were a subtle change from the first version, but an enjoyable one. The test will now be in what version I make next time around...


Have you tweaked any old or 'stand by' recipes lately?

28 comments:

  1. These look so delicious and different! I would love a few of these on my plate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great recipe Kari! :) I wish I could tweak recipes, but I am just not that good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might find that you actually are, once you start! I used to follow recipes exactly but now take chances - sometimes they crash, but sometimes they're worth it :)

      Delete
  3. I love all things thai-flavored so I think I'm going to have to try out both versions! For taste-testing purposes obviously. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!! :)
    I love thai flavors so I know I would love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen! I hope you enjoy them if you make them.

      Delete
  5. What yummy looking 'fish cakes'. I've never replaced potato with oats! These have held together really well and I can imagine it would be difficult to stop at just one xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been thinking about making the potato and chickpea cakes again recently and almost did last night but didn't have enough of the ingredients on hand. It's interesting how you have substituted oats for potatoes as I can imagine the texture would be quite different. It sounds like a tasty version and it's always a good idea to document recipes and tweaks for the future (I'm terrible at this sometimes and always regret it later).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always regret it when I don't too - I have taken to leaving a notebook in the kitchen and scribbling as I go, so even if I don't get to blogging the tweaks and theoretically there to find again!

      The oats did change the texture a lot, and made them quite different to eat even though the flavourings were similar. I'm still not sure which I prefer - I almost need them together so I can do a direct comparison :)

      Delete
  7. No aversion to cooking potatoes, but I always have an instinctive "ugh, boring" reaction to butter beans. Chickpeas all the way, baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly? We have another point of difference, in that case! I absolutely love them. I could eat a whole tin straight up (and may have been known to do just that...). I find them really sweet, which might be part of it.

      I do like chickpeas second best :-)

      Delete
    2. I've spent my life eating chickpeans from the can (my friends and I even did that in college, teehee!) but I've only really liked butter/cannellini beans when mashed with lemon and garlic to a puree and served warm as a base for something like fish/tofu :)

      Delete
  8. I love the chia as the binder, genius idea!Butter beans are my new fave bean!! Yes, I have been tweaking recipes as a matter of fact! I have my fav meat dishes that I have been recreating veg style. Like stuffed peppers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been loving your veg recipes Teri! I also love stuffed peppers - they are such a versatile dish :-) Enjoy your tweaking and recreating, it is a fun process.

      Delete
  9. I love the seasonings you added to this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm always tweaking. Sometimes I do it without realising because I've remembered the recipe wrong and by the time I look at it again it has been on a winding path to its present shape.

    My simple job I hate - taking the garbage out. S has been away and he came home to the overflowing bin to comment that I just can't survive without him to take the rubbish out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I only do it if I absolutely have to (as in, Mr B is out and the bin is full and I need to put rubbish in it!). I have definitely designated it a job outside of my domain!

      Delete
  11. These look amazing!...what a nice twist for your taste buds. I'm definitely excited to give these a try while studying for finals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colynn! And good luck with your studying - I hope these give you the boost you need :)

      Delete
  12. I love the look of those - I love Thai food, but am always too lazy to make it at home. I'm blaming it all on Redwood's Thai bean cakes for being too good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we have those here, otherwise I might be giving up on my version too!

      Delete
  13. I've never had a real fish cake so I wouldn't even know what they were supposed to taste like.

    I recently bought Organicville's Sweet Chili Sauce in hopes that it was like the Australian Sweet Chili Sauce but it was way more bbq like than sweet chili like; it was pretty disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a shame :( I would be happy to send you some if you want? I know how frustrating it is when a product you love just isn't available!

      Delete
  14. These look great! I've only ever had the fish cakes before, but these look tasty...and healthy too!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).