Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Chilli chocolate avocado pudding, and another Easiyo convert

In the past 14 months, I have posted six avocado-based dessert recipes. Today takes the count to seven. It's not a huge number - indeed, just one per two months - but it is starting to feel like a pattern.


Fortunately, I don't mind.

Today's recipe is really just a spin off of standard chocolate avocado pudding, but it is a spin off that I like very much. In addition to avocado, cocoa and agave syrup, there are strawberries and chilli powder in the ingredient list. The strawberries allow the amount of agave to be reduced, while the chilli adds a delightful depth and that subtle warmth that goes so well with chocolate.

If you are yet to try the chocolate chilli combination, this is a good way to do it. You can control how much chilli you put in, and because the dessert is cold, it offsets the spice quite wonderfully.


Still need convincing? There's more fruit in this dessert than anything else. You can make it in 5 minutes flat. And if you want, you can even eat it straight out of the food processor, bypassing the fridge altogether.

I'm not sure what more I could ask for in a dessert.

Chilli chocolate avocado pudding
This is everything good, in all ways!
Makes 1 large serve or 2 small
Vegan


Ingredients
1 small avocado (mine was 115g with skin and stone / 65g avocado flesh)
4 large strawberries, washed, stems removed, and chopped in half
2 tbsp good quality cocoa powder
1 tbsp agave syrup (or maple syrup)
1/4 - 1/2 tsp chilli flakes or powder (1/4 tsp will give just a hint of spice)

Method
Process the avocado and strawberries in a food processor until smooth.

Add the cocoa, agave and chilli and process again to combine. Chill in the fridge and serve alone or with extra strawberries.


This really is far more decadent than the ingredient list would suggest. I think I could eat it daily, and I may well end up doing so.

The other chocolate news for today is that of the yoghurt kind, with Mr Bite being brave enough to venture into the world of EasiYo. You may remember that I converted to homemade yoghurt this time last year, with the aid of the EasiYo brand. Since then, my Mum has also started using their system. I still use the plain, fat-free EasiYo sachets as my basic go-to yoghurt base. I have yoghurt a lot less than I used to, aided by the increased availability of non-dairy milk products, but it is one of my remaining dairy exceptions. Since last year, I always make it at home.

Chocolate yoghurt, in need of a stir

Mr Bite takes a flavoured yoghurt to work each day, but recently we have had great trouble finding his yoghurt flavours of choice. This is partially due to Coles' insistence on dropping brands from their range (seemingly in order to stock their own Coles range products, most of which we don't want or like), and partially due to at least one yoghurt company (Brownes) recently re-branding their stock and dropping a few flavours. Given  the increasing challenges, I suggested we try out a chocolate EasiYo mixture. Mr Bite has fond childhood memories of homemade chocolate yoghurt, and I figured it was a good time to try and re-create them.

Stirring in process

The title of this post may be a little exaggerated, as our first batch wasn't quite right and I don't think he's quite a convert yet. We bought a plain (natural) EasiYo sachet, which suggested adding 2 - 4 tbsp of sugar if you wanted a sweet yoghurt. We used 4 tbsp sugar and 2 tbsp cocoa, but I wasn't convinced it would be sweet enough for someone used to commercial yoghurt varieties. To avoid it being too tart, I also set the yoghurt for the minimum recommended time - 8 hours - instead of the 12 hours I usually do for my own. The yoghurt gets thicker with standing time, but also tarter.

The resulting yoghurt was still deemed a little too tart by Mr Bite, but also a little too runny. Next time we will use more sugar and increase the setting time. Still, he has proclaimed this batch edible and I am taking that as success.

Ready to eat

It will be a bit more hassle for him to transfer yoghurt into a small plastic container before work, and then wash said container after work, but if we can get the flavour and consistency right then EasiYo will be easier than searching multiple supermarkets for appropriate yoghurt flavours, much cheaper, and I suspect better for him too. All in all, I am hoping we can get there!

What chocolate desserts have featured in your house lately (if at all)?
If you're a yoghurt eater, what is your preferred type?

30 comments:

  1. I certainly don't mind all the avocado either- looks amazing Kari!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I love avocado chocolate desserts- so creamy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are - avocado is a magical ingredient :)

      Delete
  3. u continually BLOW. MY. MIND with ur recipes! seriously, how do u come up to combine these things...genius. and i'm also really glad that u're making up for lost time with ur chocolate. come 2013 my goal for u is to have chocolate by at LEAST jan. 2nd. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I somehow conveyed the wrong impression about my chocolate consumption this year! I am pretty sure chocolate was in place by January the 2nd this time around too :) I may not always blog about it but chocolate features quite regularly indeed.

      I'm so glad you like this recipe too!

      Delete
  4. I must try that avocado chocolate mousse (I still can't come at calling it pudding because I still think of pudding as warm - maybe due to my dislike of the cold packet puddings my mum gave us occasionally) - it has actually been on my to do list for years - and I think it is positive the Mr Bite is giving easiyo a go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I much prefer 'mousse' to 'pudding' too, but I have such good memories of fluffy gelatine and egg white containing mousse that I struggle to apply the term to this! The ingredients in this mix are definitely nicer though, and the taste is mousse-like :)

      Delete
  5. I've made avocado creme brulee before and avocado buttercream frosting...but never avocado pudding! It looks addictive, especially with that hint of spice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite, Joanne. In fact, quite addictive indeed!

      Delete
  6. YUM!!!! I love chocolate pudding and this looks really good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely looking dessert that's seems so dark and creamy. I'm aware of easi-yo and have friends who use it every week to make their yoghurt. I probably should jump on the bandwagon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really easy one to jump on to - and once you make the change, you'll have no desire to go back. Supermarket yoghurts pale in comparison!

      Delete
  8. Peanut butter. That's what else we could ask for in dessert, but I shan't look a gift horse in the mouth. ;)

    Ugh, I half expect there to be nothing in Australia but Coles and Woolies own-brand products when I get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I really am feeling quite compelled to go home and try a peanut butter version. I am nothing if not suggestible :)

      Coles seems to be the worse of the two, but it may be that Woolworths are bringing out own-brand products of things that are a bit hard to find (spelt flour, that kind of thing) so I'm forgiving them. It's a sad trend though!

      Delete
  9. I can tell that avocados must be in season in Australia, totally jealous! Avos here are just not so great in the wintertime, all the ones I've bought recently really lack the lush creaminess.

    I've only tried avocado pudding made with avos and blueberries, never strawberries, will have to give those a try now too. What kind of avocados do you buy during this time of year? We tried Reed avocados when we were in Melbourne and loved them but I've yet to see that variety here in the States.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hass avocadoes are the ones availalbe near me, or most readily so, but they vary hugely in size (and price). I always buy the small ones due to there just being two of us and me not liking them plain!

      Delete
  10. Kari the whole supermarket conquering every- brand- in- their- way drives me mental!!! Choice? Pffffft.
    Stepping to the side of my pedestal now, and I'm glad the chocolately yogurt way for Mr Bite looks promising :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drives me mental too, so you can stay on the soap box :) I hope more and more people start making their own things or looking elsewhere, but it is getting harder to do.

      Delete
  11. The pudding looks great - love the addition of strawberries!

    I used to make Easiyo yoghurt all the time when I was still having dairy - I loved the thick Greek one. Viper was never a huge fan though - he always said it was too runny - I think he has just been spoilt with the amazing deliciousness of Jalna yoghurt! Misty likes Easiyo though :) I make my own non-dairy (soy/almond/coconut) yoghurt and kefir these days and it's fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love Jalna back when I had yoghurt all the time, but Coles stopped stocking that at one point too :P I have never had much luck with non-dairy yoghurts but keep meaning to try again because I would have those if I could manage it!

      Delete
  12. Yum! this looks great. I don't mind at all, keep the avo love coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE all your avocado recipes, they are inspiring...I totally need to do more of it!! I like my Greek yogurt with a scoop of crunchy peanut butter! Easiyo? I'm not sure if we have that in the states....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you have an equivalent? It's just a plastic thermos-type thing in which you let yoghurt develop, either using a sachet that you mix with water or going fully from scratch.

      I am fully into the nut butter and yoghurt combination too :)

      Delete
  14. This pudding looks so delicious! I have made it before, but never would have thought to add strawberries and chilli! You're awesome Kari!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Brandi - I am so glad you like the look of it!

      Delete
  15. They say that every good cook gets into the habit of using 1 ingredient a whole lot. I think mine is Thyme. Such a great recipe :) Love that you mixed it up with chilli too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).