Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Satay chickpea stew with grains

This recipe is really an adaptation of Angela's Oh She Glows 'Soul Soothing African Peanut Stew'. I mentioned last November that I had tried and enjoyed that dish, and realised on making this that I was channeling Angela's flavours. My version is a little simpler than the hers though, and is designed to be served with grains rather than as a stand alone meal. I liked it a lot and am documenting it for my own future reference as well as to share with you!


To me, meals like this are the ultimate comfort food. As is obvious from this site, I love chocolate and desserts and they are comforting too in their own ways. However, there is something warming and comforting about a big bowl of full-flavoured vegetables and grains. It's like a wholesome hug.

I used tinned chickpeas for this, in part from laziness and in part because I wanted to use chickpea water to thicken the stew. If you cook yours from scratch, just reserve a little of the cooking water to add to the mix.




Satay chickpea stew with grains
A hearty, wholesome, delicious dish for four
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts, adapted from the Oh She Glows Soul Soothing African Peanut Stew


Ingredients
1 tin (375g) chickpeas in water, or, 1-1/2 cups cooked chickpeas + 1/4 cup reserved cooking water
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 courgette, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp dried coriander
2 cups spinach

Grains of choice, to serve 4 (I used Tesco's quick cook 7-grain mix, but recommend quinoa or brown rice if you don't have access to that)

Method
Combine all stew ingredients except the spinach (chickpeas, sweet potato, courgette, carrot, peanut butter, garam masala, coriander) in a large saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat, covered, for approximately 5 minutes and then reduce heat to low and allow to cook for 20 or so minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Add the spinach towards the end and serve over your grain of choice.


What meals are you enjoying this week?

10 comments:

  1. Ive made this chickpea stew from Angelas book (and also use tinned chickpeas!).....I agree, it IS the ultimate comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I'm glad to have her original and this variation as competing options now :-)

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about the hug! There's something really restorative about the right mix of pulses, veggies, and grains with spices that gives you just enough to face the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about grains and vegies - and nut butter gives an extra dollop of comfort - sounds lovely

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I know I'd love this stew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds wonderfully warming. I agree, I also like chocolate like you - but there is something about a big bowl of awesome like this. I like that you paired it with grains. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).