Friday, March 24, 2017

Lentil potato cakes (version 2)

I have shared a recipe for lentil potato cakes before. This one makes a few tweaks to the original and offers much better photos! I am pleased to update my Recipe index with this new version.


My previous recipe involved cooking the cakes on the stove top in a frying pan. This version bakes them in the oven instead, which frees you up to do other things while the patties are cooking. I also used dried green lentils for these, although if you prefer the tinned variety it would be easy to swap back to using a tin. Dried red lentils would be nice too.

The potato cakes are seasoned with nutritional yeast, paprika, coriander, parsley, lemon and tahini. Most of these are regular seasonings in my kitchen and they come together beautifully here. The patties work well on top of salad but could be included in a burger for an even heartier meal. They are complemented nicely by chutney or tomato sauce, but will stand up on their own if you are condiment averse.


Lentil potato cakes
Delicious oven-baked cakes that offer a complete meal if paired with salad
Vegan
Makes approximately 16 cakes, to serve 4

Allow 30 minutes or longer for soaking the lentils, if using dried lentils
Allow 30 minutes or longer for the mixture to stand before cooking

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup uncooked green lentils, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes, OR, 2 tins (3 cups) cooked lentils
2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 large bunch parsley, chopped (approximately 1/2 - 3/4 cup chopped parsley)
3 tbsp flour
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp dried ground paprika
1 tsp dried ground coriander

Method
Drain and rinse your soaked lentils and then cover with fresh water in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil and then cook, simmering, for approximately 30 minutes or until just cooked. (Skip this step if using tinned lentils.)

Add the diced potato pieces to the saucepan with the lentils and cook for a further 20 minutes, covered on low-medium heat, until the potato is tender. Drain and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl combine the diced pepper, parsley, flour, lemon juice, tahini, nutritional yeast, paprika and coriander. Add in the cooked lentils and potatoes and mash with a fork or spoon so that the potato is smooth and all ingredients are well combined.

Allow the mixture to stand in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat your oven to 180'C (375'F) and line 3 baking trays with non-stick paper. 

Use your hands to shape approximately 16 patty cakes and place these on the prepared baking trays. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until firm and golden brown.

Serve with salad and chutney or sauces to taste.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Do you remake and tweak previous meals?

8 comments:

  1. Lovely photos - I find it satisfying to update photos in old posts - and I also like seeing the evolution of recipes - these sound great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna - you often inspire me to try and recreate poorly photographed past recipes because when you do the same your updated photos are always so impressive!

      Delete
  2. These look and sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been updating old posts too - there's something so satisfying about it. :) These look terrific, I'm always looking for new ways to use lentils.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this sounds good! I actually like the idea of baking them in the oven as I'm not great at panfrying things. I don't think I use enough oil maybe... I actually have all of the ingredients on hand to make these, so I may just make them later this week!
    Thanks for sharing at Healthy Vegan Fridays! I'm pinning & sharing. Hope you've having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy - I hope your week is going well too! And I'm not great at panfrying either, I think also because I skimp on oil :P

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).