Friday, March 3, 2017

Sweet potato overnight oats

Some of you may have seen recent findings that link 10 serves of fruit and vegetables a day to reduced rates of cancer, cardiovascular disease and stroke, as well as overall mortality. The current UK guidelines advocate 5 serves a day and that level offers protection too - but 10 gives significantly greater benefits.


There have been predictable responses to these results, including comments about it being too hard to achieve a 10 per day intake, and I enjoyed this lighthearted Guardian commentary on the topic. I grew up with the Australian recommendation of 5 vegetable and 2 fruit serves a day, so 10 of both food groups isn't such a shift for me, especially as plant-based eating naturally gives a higher intake than meat-based diets. However, it can be tough to get enough serves in when you're busy and/or if buying food on the go. Thus, getting off to a good start at breakfast can make a big difference.


If you're a fan of savoury breakfasts, it's easy enough to sneak some vegetables (beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach...) into your day then. Green smoothies are another easy option. However, I'm not a big savoury breakfast eater and it's still a bit too cold for me to routinely down green smoothies. I've previously shared recipes for sweet potato breakfast pudding and a sweet potato, berry and pecan breakfast bowl, but you really need to like sweet potato to enjoy those. Today's recipe gives an alternative for those of you who don't want sweet potato to be your dominant breakfast flavour. You'll know it's in this bowl, but it provides a subtle rather than strong presence. By topping the oats with fruit, you'll hit 2 fruit/vegetable serves early and be on track to fill your day with positive nutrition.

As my pictures show, I rounded this bowl out with a drizzle of chocolate syrup (the sugar free and vegan friendly Choc Shot variety). I thought it would photograph well, but you don't really need it and next time I would leave it off. Similarly, you can use whatever fruit you like rather than the banana I opted for.

Sweet potato overnight oats
Delivering a serve each of fruit and vegetables, this delicious bowl will set you up for the day
Serves one
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
Approx. 1/3 cup / 30g rolled oats
Approx. 3/4 cup / 200g non-dairy yoghurt of choice (I used Alpro unsweetened soya-almond)
Approx. 1/3 cup cooked, cooled and roughly mashed sweet potato, cooked
Dash of ground cinnamon, nutmeg or mixed spice, to taste
Fruit of choice, to top
Breakfast-friendly chocolate syrup or nut butter, optional, to top

Method
Combine the oats, yoghurt, sweet potato and spice in a bowl and mix well to combine. Refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, top with fruit and syrup / nut butter if using.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

How do you fit in your fruit/vegetable serves?

10 comments:

  1. I love sweet potato, this breakfast looks awesome! Thanks for sharing the recent finding about eating 10 servings of fruits and veggies. It is tough on the go, but not impossible! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dish is new to me but looks delicious. I struggle to get 5 serves of veg a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely find fruit serves easier so 5 veg a day is about my level!

      Delete
  3. I was surprised at the reaction to the 10 a day news and how negative people were. I guess being vegan makes it easier to get your veggies in, so it never seemed like a stretch to me. I always gorge on fruit in the morning, but now I'm thinking maybe I should get in some veggies instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny isn't it?! I guess vegans do get a head start though, so to speak.

      Delete
  4. I have a hard time getting veggies in at breakfast. I know some people actually have kale salads to start the day off. As much as I love kale, that's not for me. Sweet potato on the other hand seems easy enough. I am definitely a fruit person for breakfast, although I don't mind greens in my smoothie. Sweet potato is a good sneaky way to get some veggies in ;) I think 10 years ago if you had told me I should be eating 10 servings of fruits and veggies a day, I would scoff at you. Now it's just natural. I think I'm a little more fruit heavy, so I'd like to balance that out more, but it still seems decently easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snap :-) I also find fruit much easier at breakfast and am more fruit heavy overall, but it's much more realistic for me to get 10 total serves now than it was when I was younger.

      Delete
  5. Great idea for getting more veggies into your mornings! I usually start the day with a green smoothie but I'd like to switch things up especially on cooler mornings so I love the added sweet potato in these oats!

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for Healthy Vegan Fridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow thats an interesting twist on breakfast. i am sure it is delish.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).