Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Banana chia coconut bread

I will say upfront that I didn't expect to share this recipe. I made it on a whim, to use up bananas and some of my recent fig paste. Even by my standards it is very minimally sweetened. I hoped it would be suitable for Mini Bite and edible, but not necessarily exciting, for me. In the end, I loved the bread so much that I hastily scribbled down the recipe so I could post it here.


The star of this bread is not the banana or coconut, and in fact neither are a strong presence in the loaf. Instead, it is the chia seeds that make this wonderful, giving the loaf a fantastic texture and reminding me of poppy seed cakes. I will definitely be baking more chia loaded breads now!


Whilst I used fig paste for this, date paste or any diced dried fruit or date paste would work well. If you wanted, it would also be easy to boost the amount of dried fruit in the recipe or add some other form of sugar. As I made it, this works as a bread rather than a cake, and I recommend it for that purpose.


Banana chia coconut bread
A minimally sweetened but beautifully textured bread that is perfect for breakfast or snacking
Makes 1 loaf (approximately 12 slices)
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
2 small ripe bananas
1/4 cup fig paste or date paste, or approximately 1/2 cup dried fruit, diced
3/4 cup non-dairy milk of choice
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder

Method
Preheat your oven to 160'C (320'F) and prepare a loaf tin.

In a mixing bowl, mash the bananas and then stir in the fig / date paste (or dried fruit), milk, vanilla, coconut and chia seeds. Add the oats, flour and baking powder and stir through.

Transfer the mix to your prepared tin and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.

Have you made anything lately that surprised you?

10 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious - I love chia seeds in baking! Hope Mini Bite enjoyed it too

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good, and I always have these ingredients in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read your comment this morning, been a busy week and am catching up with blog reads. Wow, you know what they say...great minds and all that. Yet Another one of your recipes bookmarked Kari. I went to make your chickpea stacks today and then noted did not have enough chickpea flour so again it is postponed, but rest assured I am determined to make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen :-) I hope you enjoy the chickpea stacks when you have more flour in stock. I look forward to trying your banana bread too.

      Delete
  4. I love this sort of recipe - a delicious surprise you know you'll get to make again. It's nice to have something without much sugar too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you love when you make a recipe not really expecting much, but then get a FUN and unexpected new favourite? It's like getting a present haha. A delicious present.
    This sounds great! I look forward to trying it with date paste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'A delicious present' - I love that! Exactly right :-)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).