Wednesday, March 1, 2017

In my kitchen - March 2017

I am linking this in to the monthly In My Kitchen round up, currently hosted by Lizzy of Bizzy Lizzy's Good Things.

Spring flowers - visible from my kitchen

Happy autumn to my Australian readers. We have a few weeks until spring officially starts in the UK, but it is starting to feel spring-like as the days grow longer and spring flowers start to appear. Indeed, some are visible from my kitchen, thanks to the bulbs I planted last year starting to sprout.


My kitchen has flowers inside it too. Indeed, it has been a good month for them. Mr Bite gave me a Valentine's Day bouquet that is still blooming, pictured below with some veganised chocolate muffins that I made for him for the day.


Additionally, one of my old Australian students sent a bunch of flowers to say thank you for supervising her PhD. This is the first PhD student I've supervised who has reached the end of her thesis (not, I should add, due to drop outs but just due to time!) so it was an exciting milestone for me as well as her.


Moving to edible items, my kitchen has seen a frozen tropical fruit mix. With pineapple, mango and papaya never really in season here it was nice to get the flavours in frozen form, and the cold fruit was soothing on my sore throat last week. I ate it straight from the freezer on top of soggy weetabix (each to their own!).


I made a return trip to our new M&S foodhall and picked up this vegan addition to their salad range. Featuring edamame beans, edamame falafel bites, black rice, pickled beetroot and a soy and chilli cashew nut dip, it was nice but probably not worth the £3.99 take-away price.


I have been on a turmeric kick lately and so my kitchen has also seen turmeric flavoured products. This bowl of couscous with butter beans and kale was an example and provided a quick and easy lunch over several days.


It wouldn't be right to have an IMK post without chocolate (!) so I am pleased to picture this Waitrose Indian Ocean dark chocolate with coconut. Despite my love of very dark chocolates I am partial to lighter dairy free options too. I have been keen to try this one since I saw it reviewed last year, and with Waitrose having 25% off their chocolate range this week, I seized the opportunity to do so now.


Despite being marketed as dark chocolate, to me this tasted closer to milk than dark and the tones were sweet and mellow. The coconut component reminded me of a Golden Rough and took me back to the occasional Australian childhood experience of eating them. All in all, I liked it very much and may buy another block before the special runs out!

What is happening in your kitchen this month?

20 comments:

  1. How lovely to see fresh flowers inside and outside your home, so surprised to see a bouquet from Valentines still blooming, that is is wonderful. Apparently today is the meteorological start to spring in the uk, but I am with you we still have a few weeks to go - still half expecting snow here.

    I've seen that M&S salad and agree with you too that its not worth 3.99, though it does look very appealing. I do like turmeric as I have grown up eating and drinking it. And yes a bar of dark choc...I am still going through the Christmas stock and it may even be the end of spring before we finish them all. Kari, always nice to have a peek in your kitchen space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get confused with which is the official start to spring (and autumn) here - I guess the two dates allow people to pick what season they want to be in while the overlap occurs :-) You are certainly in winter if you have snow!!

      Delete
    2. HOW I GET A LOAN HELP @ 2% INTEREST RATE With victoriafinancier@outlook.com

      I was not sure of getting a legit loan lender online But when i could not face my Debt any more, my son was on hospital bed for surgery that involve huge money and i also needed some money to refinance and get a good home then i have to seeks for Assistance from friends and when there was no hope any more i decide to go online to seek a loan and i find VICTORIA LAWSON Trust Loan Firm (victoriafinancier@outlook.com) with 2% interest Rate and applied immediately with my details as directed. Within seven Days of my application She wired my loan amount with No hidden charges and i could take care of my son medical bills, Renew my rent bill and pay off my debt. I will advice every loan seeker to contact VICTORIA LAWSON LOAN Company with victoriafinancier@outlook.com For easy and safe transaction.

      *Full Name:_________

      *Address:_________

      *Tell:_________

      *loan amount:_________

      *Loan duration:_________

      *Country:_________

      *Purpose of loan:_________

      *Monthly Income:__________

      *Occupation__________

      *Next of kin :_________

      *Email :_________

      Delete
  2. Loving those flowers in pots, the first sign of spring! We'll be in the UK from mid May onwards for a month, so I'm feeling joyful to know that the warmer weather is coming your way. So many other pretty flowers, too, Kari. I enjoy seeing flowers in my kitchen as well. Thank you for the very kind shout out, and happy March to you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lizzy and I hope you have a wonderful trip over this way when the time comes!

      Delete
  3. Any chocolate that brings golden rough to mind sounds delicious to me - I love golden roughs though have them very rarely. The flowers look lovely - hard to believe around this time last year we were in the UK admiring all the spring flowers. Glad to get a peek at yours this year. And hope your throat feels better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna :-) It is hard to believe a year has passed since your visit - it feels longer but then a lot has happened in the 12 months.

      Delete
  4. Seeing the first bulbs flower is always lovely isn't it after a long winter. I'm not too sure about your frozen fruit with Weetabix - but each to their own as you say :) !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you won't be the only one to express uncertainty over that mix ;)

      Delete
  5. Your lovely flowers must really brighten things up in your kitchen. Isn't turmeric just the bomb? I take it every day now to help with a painful knee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a magic ingredient, isn't it! I hope it helps with your knee.

      Delete
  6. Kari, your lovely bouquets brightened my day and thankfully yours. Hope you're feeling better! Do what you need to do for YOU, including consuming soggy Weetabix. :) Loved your snazzy colorful "snail planter", your recent blooms, and your turmeric infused salad.... and chocolate! Take care, xo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your bouquets and potted spring flowers, hope they helped you feel better. Your own couscous with butter beans and kale looks much superior to the M&S bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at all of those fun things in & out of your kitchen. The flowers are all so beautiful. That was so incredibly sweet of your student to send you that gorgeous bouquet as thanks.
    That salad looks so good! I wish I had a grocery store near me that sold fun packaged salads like that.
    I'm also on a turmeric kick, although it seems to come up mainly in smoothie form.
    And ahhhh chocolate =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so kind of the student - such a nice touch!

      I need to try turmeric in a smoothie as I am yet to do so :P

      Delete
  9. I love that snail plant holder. So cute. Dark chocolate is the best. Yep I have good memories of coconut roughs too. Love the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coconut roughs are a classic, I think :-)

      Delete
  10. Kari that chocolate sounds amazing! So it's dairy free? I'm not sure if we have anything like that here in Australia but I'll be keeping my eyes open for some. I'm not dairy intolerant but I like trying new chocolates :) Love spring time with all the blooms coming out & you're flowers are very colourful x
    https://missfoodfairy.com/2017/03/10/in-my-kitchen-march-2017/

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).