Friday, March 15, 2013

Vegan orange cake, and an orange lesson

Last weekend we celebrated my mother-in-law's birthday (yes, another birthday!). As I have made it known that I am always available for birthday cake making, should no one else want that pleasure, I was granted responsibility for the cake.

The request was an orange cake. To my amusement, I later found out that the request would have been for chocolate cake, except that dogs aren't meant to eat chocolate cake, and my mother-in-law has a dog that is included in most edible celebrations. Some might express surprise that dogs can enjoy orange cake, but you don't know the dog in question.


When making birthday cakes for other people, I set my own taste preferences aside. Thus, if it seems difficult to make an enjoyable cake without eggs or dairy, I will make the cake with eggs or dairy. However, there are very few occasions where this proves necessary.

If you want to make an orange cake, it is very easy to find a vegan version. Some simple searching turned up several online variations of an orange cake first published in one of The Joy of Cooking cookbooks. All of the online posts talked about how easy the cake was to make, how moist and tender it was, and how it was enjoyed even by those who weren't vegan and who didn't usually like orange baked goods.


All of that sounded good, and so I made the cake a day in advance, taste tested mixture left in the bowl, and iced it on the day of the celebrations. Making a double-layer cake in two round cake tins that are slightly different in size always makes icing somewhat challenging (I should trim the bottom cake, but what a waste of cake!), but I decided to accept the somewhat messy appearance and generously sprinkle grated chocolate in an attempt to distract from it.


The cake was moist, light, fluffy, delicate, beautifully textured, and very well received by all (including the dog). However, it did not taste of orange. Having used the juice of four oranges in the mix, this was quite perplexing. I am still a little unsure what went wrong, other than that the cake may need zest as well as juice (this was done in one of the three recipes I looked at), and/or I used valencia oranges instead of the navel variety. I usually only buy oranges for juicing, and only for Mr B at that, and valencia oranges are the recommended variety for juice. It is possible that the navel variety are more flavourful for cooking.

Irrespective of the oranges you use, I recommend making my version with the addition of orange zest, or at least doing so if you want an orange flavoured cake. If you want a delicate, faintly vanilla cake you could omit the zest and just enjoy this as we did!


Orange cake
Makes two round cakes
Vegan
Adapted from the orange cake recipes posted on Vegan OccasionsFamily Nature, and Holy Cow Vegan


Ingredients
Cake
3 cups plain flour
2 cups white sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups fresh orange juice (juice of 4 oranges)
2 tbsp orange pulp (as obtained when juicing 4 oranges)
1 tbsp orange zest (I didn't do this but would in future)
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp vanilla

Icing
3 tbsp non-dairy margarine
~2 tbsp vanilla soy yoghurt
2 1/2 cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp non-dairy milk

Orange-flavoured dark chocolate, optional, for decorating

Method
Preheat your oven to 175'C / 350'F and line two round cake tins with baking paper.

In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt).

In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (orange juice, pulp and zest, vegetable oil, vinegar and vanilla).

Add the wet mix to the dry mix and stir to combine. 

Divide batter between the cake tins and bake for 30 - 35 minutes until golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean.

To make the icing, beat the icing sugar and non-dairy spread until fluffy and then add the yoghurt and vanilla and beat to combine.

Grate chocolate and sprinkle over the cake if desired.


Do you have much experience with orange baking?

38 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful looking dessert!
    Orange is a great flavor, isn't it?
    One of my favorite cupcakes is a tangerine with coconut frosting. Geesh. Now I want one!! :)
    Missed your blog! Happy to be making my "comeback" and seeing everyone still blog and strong! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Teri, and now you have me wanting orange flavoured anything with coconut frosting! What a great combination.

      Delete
  2. This cake looks great to me Kari. Double decker cakes are always festive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I think too (the double decker thing) :-)

      Delete
  3. I absolutely adore that they include the dog. We do... my puppy is quite fond of orange and poppyseed cake :P She is 12 now and never misses out on cake! Orange cake is definately in my top3 fav cakes and yours looks awesome.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know that other families have dog-catered cakes too! Not having had a dog growing up I still find it funny, but they certainly seem to enjoy being included (especially when being included involves food!).

      Delete
  4. All of your cakes always look fabulous. Wish you lived close enough so I could hire you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I wish you lived close enough so I could volunteer to drop something off!

      Delete
  5. Lol at the two different sized pans. I once bought two matching silicon cake pans so that I could do layer cakes that weren't wonky, but they are actually horrible for baking in, so I still have to try to match up similar sizes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle with baking in silicon pans too...I just have one loaf one but whenever I use it, I have to place it inside a sturdy metal one so it doesn't move around too much going in / out of the oven!

      Delete
    2. Ooh, and I forgot to mention - another trick to get baked things tasting orangey without putting zest *in* is to put the peels into whatever oil the recipe calls for overnight. Then the oil makes it taste orangey but you don't get the chunks of zest in the mix.

      Delete
    3. That is a brilliant idea. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. This cake looks delicious! I've never baked with orange before and its not something that I automatically would think of as a baking flavour I would gravitate towards but I really should give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually bake with it either, but it does do wonders at making things light and moist!

      Delete
  7. haha....okay, that's cute about the dog...did u pull up a chair so he could eat at the table too? ;) jk.
    i think u can guess on wat my experience is on baking with orange. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee, the dog definitely ate on the floor :P

      Delete
  8. the cake looks light and delicious - how odd that it didn't taste of orange - I think most of the orange cakes I have made have zest in them and I do have a recipe for a plainish cake that includes orange juice but doesn't really taste of orange at all. Glad everyone including the dog was able to eat it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think zest must be key - you live and learn!

      Delete
  9. I love love love orange cake! I haven't had it in a very long time though. I actually have all of the ingredients for this recipe too! Yay for apple cider vinegar! This is a great recipe Kari :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple cider vinegar is a magical thing :-) I hope you enjoy this if you make it!

      Delete
  10. mmmmmmmm i love orange flavour everything! glad it worked out well - it looks fantastic!
    Glad the dog enjoyed it too! hahahahahaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just as well she did, otherwise the birthday celebrations could have had chocolate after all :P

      Delete
  11. What a bright and pretty cake! It would definitely be a really good dessert for Easter as well. I guess I'll have to make it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point about Easter - it would suit that beautifully!

      Delete
  12. Oh fascinating; when I saw the title I assumed this would be the dairy-free/gluten-free standard of almond meal + whole orange simmered and pureed. I had to laugh at this being a cake for those "who don't usually like orange cake". A likely story.

    Your decorating skills are getting mighty impressive, m'dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, it didn't even occur to me to make an orange/almond GF cake when orange was requested. I quite like them, but usually only for the first bite, and then it is just...too much. I definitely prefer this, in texture and in amount of orange-ness! In saying that, I can fully believe that you wouldn't find orange flavours where none of us could :P

      Delete
  13. Ohhh it looks amazing and I've been searching for something to use up my orange pulp, thank you! Vanilla/orange - I'm happy with either and am glad the pup was too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it appeals Bex! I love ways to use up orange pulp too, it seems to have too few uses!

      Delete
  14. I love the description of this cake and I think I'd like it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen - it's very easy so make too, so if you ever give it a go it should be simple to whip up.

      Delete
  15. This is beautiful! I'm not a big orange person, but I love the flavour it lends things like smoothies and cakes. This looks so fresh and is perfect for us in the northern hemisphere as it's almost our spring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would definitely be a good spring cake Gabby! I'm excited for you to get some warmer weather :)

      Delete
  16. The cake looks gorgeous, orange cakes are one type of sweet I do have a fondness for. Sorry it didn't live up to your expectations in the orange department, ones I have made normally use some zest. I love that the dog was included in the celebrations. Years ago before knowing about chocolate being bad for dogs, my in-laws made lamingtons for their pup's first birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the dog loved the lamingtons too - they certainly don't know chocolate is bad for them!

      Delete
  17. Gorgeously fluffy looking cake. SO strange it didn't taste much of orange though despite your efforts! Maybe a teaspoon of orange oil or something might help give it that extra hit of orange? I've recently gone dairy free so thanks for sharing this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was useful Christine! I think orange oil would definitely have helped - next time (or you will have to try it out with the oil and let me know) :)

      Delete
  18. I'm always skeptical of orange-flavored desserts, but this sounds really amazing (with or without the extra orange zest)! Yum! You've got lucky family members. ; )

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).