Friday, March 31, 2017

Coconut rough chocolates

Easter is on the horizon and with my love of chocolate, that provides a good excuse to indulge in chocolate making. I got in early with sharing my vegan creme bunnies / creme eggs and today's recipe provides an alternative Easter treat that would also go down well at other times of the year.


These chocolates were inspired by my recent discovery of the Waitrose dairy free Indian Ocean Dark Chocolate with Coconut. I mentioned in my March In My Kitchen post that the chocolate reminds me of a Golden Rough, but without the crunchy texture. (For non-Australians, a Golden Rough is a round milk chocolate disk studded with desiccated coconut.) Today's chocolates blend the crunchy texture of a Golden Rough with the dark chocolate tones I favour as an adult. The use of coconut oil adds an extra coconut tone and means that these are very easy to make.



You could make these in any chocolate moulds, or if you don't have a set, as discs set in foil muffin liners. The recipe below will give 12-14 small chocolates, of the size pictured.


Coconut rough chocolates
A vegan, adult take on the classic Golden Rough chocolate
Makes 12-14 small chocolates

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
4 tbsp coconut oil, measured in solid form
4 tbsp maple syrup or liquid sweetener of choice
6 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp cacao nibs
6 tbsp desiccated coconut

Method
Place the coconut oil in a medium heatproof bowl and melt gently over the stove top or in the microwave. When melted to liquid form, add in all remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly to combine.

Spoon the chocolate mixture into silicon chocolate moulds or foil muffin liners. 

Set in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours until firm.

Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Are you enjoying chocolate creations in the lead up to Easter?

8 comments:

  1. I love golden rough and any coconut rough (whitakkers do a great coconut rough chocolate though it is milk and v sweet and moreish) - so this appeals greatly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that Whitakkers block! I tried it before fully going vegan and it was certainly moreish.

      Delete
  2. I've never had a golden rough, but I'm pretty sure it would be right up my street. It reminds me of those dinky thin biscuits you used to get in Christmas biscuit boxes. I need to go and try these for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I don't know those biscuits! They sound good though.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of Golden Roughs before but they sound delicious! I never have much for Easter now I'm vegan so these will be a great treat along with your creme bunnies. :)

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for Healthy Vegan Fridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I meant to tell you we're featuring your recipe Friday!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much Mary Ellen! :-)

      Delete
  4. The chocolate bear!!! I love your chocolate moulds - what cute shapes.
    "For non-Australians, a Golden Rough is a round milk chocolate disk studded with desiccated coconut"
    Well thank you for this lesson as I have never heard of a Golden Rough. There is a chocolate in the States called Chocolate Mounds - it's a candy bar that is basically desiccated coconut with chocolate around it. I love chocolate and coconut and these sound super delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).