Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Vegan Life Magazine - issues 23 and 24 (February and March 2017)

I receive complimentary digital copies of Vegan Life, which allows me to post reviews with screenshots included. My reflections on the magazine are entirely my own.


I always enjoy downloading the latest copy of Vegan Life and am pleased to share highlights from the last two editions. Back in February, I was inspired by a mushroom twist on Vietnamese Banh Mi...


...as well as this recipe for apple bircher muesli with spelt and rye flakes as well as oats.


If you want something different for breakfast, then buckwheat porridge with blueberries and cardamom, or porridge bars with cherry and vanilla flavours, sound like delicious options to me.


I was also extremely taken with this watermelon pizza topped with cashew cream and berries. It looks stunning and would be a great alternative to cake in the summer months.


Whilst I'm not a fan of The Biggest Loser concept or show, I was interested to read that there will be a plant-based spin-off that sees various participants (including new mothers, diabetics and night shift nurses) try a plant-based diet for 90 days. I would be interested to see the results!

In March, the Vegan News page told of the UK-wide release of vegan eggs as well as complaints from the meat industry as Sainsbury's promotes vegetarian and vegan eating. I would laugh at the meat industry's protest, if it wasn't a sad reminder of how much power the meat and dairy industries can wield. I hope Sainsbury's holds on to its newfound values and admire them for their efforts in promoting plant-based meals.

I was also interested to read that plant-based eating is being heralded as the biggest diet movement of 2017 - although not particularly surprised, given how many vegan products are appearing in supermarkets and restaurants. I hope the trend continues, and that people see plant-based eating for its holistic benefits rather than as a diet or weight loss fad.


I am yet to make vegan cheese, but this recipe for a zucchini version may just win me over. It looks and sounds intriguing!


I was also taken with this recipe for veganised buttermilk rusks, especially as they could be baby friendly with a few adaptations.



Last but not least - some highlights from the March 'Accidentally Vegan' page. If you are into jelly then raspberry glitter jelly is a sparkling way to eat it, and apparently Hartley's make just the thing. Marks and Spencer's also offer 'chorizo' flavoured sweet potato snacks, and Go Ahead offer orange and chocolate flavoured cookie bites. 



Have you spotted any new products or heard any vegan trivia lately?

6 comments:

  1. All looks interesting! Though sometimes disturbing with farmers so threatened by the promotion of vegan products - I really believe a lot of people want to eat less meat but still don't know how. The zucchini cheese and watermelon pizza look fascinating.

    I am interested to see that the glitter jelly is vegan as we have a similar one that is just out that does not have gelatine which is aeroplane jelly that I thought was uniquely Australian but now I wonder if it is just the name they use in Australia for an international brand or if glitter jelly doesn't need gelatine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have me intrigued on the jelly issue too now! There are a few other gelatine free jellies here so I suspect it is the same product rather than something to do with glitter specifically.

      Delete
  2. Fun! I don't like the Biggest Loser show, I've seen interviews with people after the fact and it sounds like they push them too hard. It's just not sustainable to lose a huge amount of weight in a short time. I'd be curious to see if the plant based version of the show tries to do things slower & more naturally (although I suppose that would be boring for most people to watch).
    You've never made vegan cheeze??? You should definitely give it a try =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I am so behind on vegan cheese experimentation!

      Delete
  3. The glitter jelly has me curious too, I will have to seek it out. I was wondering about the courgette cheese, I made a recipe a couple of years back for broad bean cheese and wonder if the recipes are similar in the making http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/vegan-broad-bean-and-coriander-soft.html
    This recipe reminded me of a beetroot cheese that I have bookmarked too
    http://eerainuh.com/beetroot-coconut-terrine-w-olive-dill/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the look of both your cheese links!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).