Saturday, July 30, 2016

Made over creamy mushroom pasta {vegan sauce + raw noodles}

After making Mary Ellen's Thai slaw salad last week, I was in the mood for more vegetable spiralising. I love my spiraliser but, as with so many things, go through phases with it. When it comes out it tends to stay out for a while, so you may see some more spiralising over the coming weeks!


I was very pleased with this dish, especially as it is different to my previous raw noodle recipes (which include courgette / zucchini noodles with a spicy peanut sauce, a tahini lemon sauce and a tomato basil sauce, and the Thai beetroot noodles featured in my header). Here, light courgette noodles are topped with a creamy sauce made from hummous, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and paprika. With the addition of mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes, it really is reminiscent of a creamy pasta meal. Unlike traditional versions, though, this one won't leave you feeling overwhelmed by heavy ingredients. 

I used sun dried tomatoes that are dried without oil, which are my favourite type. They are particularly flavoursome but you can obviously use the oil-based variety if you need to. Don't skip them though, or the mushrooms - both are crucial to this dish! Whilst my version of this isn't fully raw (on account of using hummous made with cooked chickpeas), you could also use raw hummous if you're so inclined.



Made over creamy mushroom pasta
A raw noodle base topped with a vegan creamy sauce, giving a light but very satisfying meal
Serves 1

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1/4 cup hummous
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp dried paprika
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 medium courgette (zucchini), spiralised (if you don't have a spiraliser, slice with a julienne slicer)
6 button mushrooms, sliced
4 slices of sun dried tomatoes (ideally the type not in oil)

Cracked black pepper, optional

Method
Combine the hummous, lemon juice, paprika and nutritional yeast in a jug or small blender, and either whisk well or blend to combine.

Place your spiralised courgette in a bowl and top with the hummous sauce. Stir through. Add the sliced mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes and stir through.

Serve with a few cracks of black pepper, if desired.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Do you have any favourite raw noodle dishes? 

17 comments:

  1. nice idea - I have your creamy pasta dish with hummus on my to do list and notice you added sun dried tomatoes this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are the mushrooms cooked? Thought they had to be.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they're raw / uncooked :-)

      I think in the US there is more of a movement around cooking mushrooms but my reading of the evidence is that the supermarket variety are safe to eat raw. However, obviously you could cook them if you prefer.

      Delete
  3. this is just the sort of pasta dish that the summer requires when full on carbs is just too much for hot weather. Looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kari this is a great idea . I have a spiralizer too and it comes out in sporadic fazes. never thought of using hommus though.. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could eat my body weight in this pasta - it looks so creamy and lush, hard to believe it is vegan. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea to use hummus in the sauce. Anything with sundried tomatoes gets a big thumbs up from me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I go through phases with my spiralizer too (and most of my kitchen appliances haha). Mine has been shoved to the back of a cupboard for a looooonnng time, I should bring it back out.
    This sounds like a good reason to break that bad boy out. Mmmm mushroomy goodness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely relate to appliance phases - I'm glad I'm not the only one!!

      Delete
  8. This looks just like real pasta - what a fresh and delicious looking dish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sauce looks simple but amazing! I was going to get some zucchini to make more noodles tonight so I'm going to try this!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).